3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead adapters - Steel vs. Aluminum  (Read 3299 times)

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead adapters - Steel vs. Aluminum
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2022, 07:14:32 AM »
That right wing tip and info is amazing,  Thank You Terry :archer2:  I’ve never had an issue with rattling and such with any aluminum or carbon cuz I’ve always used something,  in recent years a tiny dot of blue loc tite,  to prevent that.  What’s amazing to me is that shooting left wing would actually generate enough of what it takes to work on turning the heads loose.  I would have never thought that but makes sense I suppose if your heads aren’t tight enough.  All my jigs revolve around left wing but maybe I should have both now!  Thanks for the pointers guys,  this is something I’d have never given a thought to! :thumbsup:  Been shooting only left for probably 37 or so years now.  Funny  :knothead: :campfire:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2022, 07:42:44 AM »
Thank you Terry, Ryan and all for the input and tips. I appreciate everyone's experience, knowledge and testing.

Terry, I was really just curious if anyone had success with taking an aluminum adapter and reducing the weight to get to a particular broadhead and adapter weight combo.

I'll get to this later today Sir....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2022, 07:45:06 AM »
Agree with Ryan's last post.  Used to do a lot of ground hog hunting and have ruined many  a arrow.  But only a few screw in adapters.  Had way more aluminum shafts crack, split, etc.  Remember though that rocks, locust fence posts, and old broken farm equipment was  quite often the back stop.   Haven't shot many with carbon arrow's but they have snapped off behind the insert with similar shots.

This is why we foot Carbon with an aluminum sleeve

I have never felt the need to foot my carbons with aluminum as I use radial wrapped carbons, WAY stronger that linear wraps.  :thumbsup:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2022, 08:17:28 PM »

Terry, I was really just curious if anyone had success with taking an aluminum adapter and reducing the weight to get to a particular broadhead and adapter weight combo.

Reducing  it to what?  Not trying to be a smart asset, but there are two sizes of aluminum adapters with two weights..... not sure which one you are wanting to reduce but you, nor I, are going to shoot the difference. What EXACTLY are you trying to achieve??????

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2022, 02:05:24 PM »
Terry, In my original post on this thread I mentioned that I was shooting some 125 grain field points. I can get 125 grain screw in broadheads no problem. I also mentioned that I had some Bear Razorheads glue on without the bleeder blades. I was curious if I could reduce the weight of the aluminum adapter in an effort to get the Razorhead to 125 grains.

I know I can't shoot the difference of 15 or so grains, I was just curious. I'll likely just do some experimenting and see for myself.
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2022, 02:44:38 PM »
I'm confused also.  You got a 42 grain adapter and a 31 grainer.  What are you trying to achieve?

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2022, 03:33:06 PM »
My apologies for the confusion.

I appreciate the comments.

Prayer changes things.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2022, 08:39:10 PM »
To the original question

YES I have had aluminum fail. Shot aluminum adapters for quite a long time using 2020 aluminum shafts. The failure was a clean break at the exact spot front of shaft / back of broadhead. Found the head in the lungs when field dressing. Arrow had hit far shoulder inside. I consider this an anomaly. Ran that arrow/bow for twenty years averaging ten bowkills a year with no other issues. That’s glue in adapters.

Screw in aluminum we have had a lot more problems with the threads. So much I got off em and stay away.

Steel screw in adapters ZERO problems running at least five years. Indestructible. Easy. Dependable. Threads good. Tapers good. The two weights I’ve used are 70 grains and 110 grains. These weights have been working well.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2022, 10:21:00 PM »
My apologies for the confusion.

I appreciate the comments.
No apologies ..... unless I am confused,  seems to me you are interested in getting your broadhead weight to EXACTLY match your field point wait,  correct?  How important that is is clearly debatable......as has been mentioned,  when you are crunching negligible differences....... but the point is,  you’re trying for exact weight match between the two.......?

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2022, 07:24:16 AM »
Lookmom, I don't care if the weights between the broadhead and the field point EXACTLY match but I'd like to see if I could get them reasonably close, +/- 5 grains. I know I can buy some very nice, proven broadheads that come already built to screw in at 125 grains. I was really just curious if anyone had taken a glue in head like a Razorhead or an Ace High Speed, etc and got them to (or close to) 125 grains using an aluminum adapter.

Thanks for your response.  :thumbsup:

I apologize if I got this thread off track or ruffled anyone's feathers.
Prayer changes things.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2022, 08:06:48 AM »
You may not get a reply from anyone here that has done exactly what you are trying to do with the adapter,  but that doesn't mean for a second that it hasn't be done.....in fact I guarantee it has been done.   Do whatever you gotta do to make things work for you. Good bad or indifferent, it'll be a learning process for ya  :thumbsup: 

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2022, 08:37:33 AM »
No worries supernaut, we are just trying to figure out exactly what you are wanting.  There are lots of different options for weight from titanium, aluminum,  and steel.

The only advice I can give you from here is don't sell yourself too short on hardware.   :campfire: :campfire:

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2022, 09:10:13 AM »
Thanks Lookmom and Terry for your responses and insight.

I'm a SW PA guy that spends my time chasing whitetails, rabbits, squirrels, turkey and ground hogs in the summer. I shoot my bow(s) daily, it's fun but I'm always looking towards hunting.

I'm happy with the 160 grain Ace Standards (125 grain glue ons with aluminum adapter) and may hunt with them this season. I've just been playing with the 125 grain field points and kicking around hunting with a 125 grain broadhead as well. I'm very confident I wouldn't have any trouble killing any of the game I'm chasing with them with shot placement and sharpness always being a given. If I was chasing those hogs down south, I'd opt for at least the 160 Aces and maybe even something a little heavier....someday.

I hope I'm not rambling here and thanks again.  :campfire:

Prayer changes things.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2022, 12:03:29 PM »
The Bear Razorheads weigh about 110 grains.  I doubt you will have enough glueing surface left after you grind 10 grains off a 31 grain adapter to be within 5 grains of 125.  You can try if you would like.  I recommend getting a field tip to match your broad head.  The field point would be easier to ground down to match if needed.

That said I have used steel and aluminum adapters for nearly 50 years and never had a problem on game.  I do as Ryan said and select the adapter that gets the head weight I need. I have only used hot melt glue.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2022, 12:21:41 PM »
last arrow, Thank you for the reply sir. I was a bit skeptical getting the Razorheads with modified adapters weight down to 125. I think the Ace High Speed would be a better candidate starting at 100 grains before an adapter was added.

I really like the idea of grinding down the field point to match the final weight of the Razorhead with adapter, thanks for that suggestion.

I just got my 3 pack of Magnus Stingers screw ins  at 125 grains in the mail yesterday but I haven't had a chance to test shoot one yet. Work always gets in the way of fun.
Prayer changes things.

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2022, 10:51:06 PM »
Aluminum is strong, I use brass or steel when the additional weight is needed for tune.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2022, 12:05:02 PM »
I'd really like some glue in steel adapters like the aluminum ones, but probably not much market for them.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"