3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is Hunting AK Moose this Year?  (Read 1440 times)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who is Hunting AK Moose this Year?
« on: June 06, 2022, 12:51:48 AM »
June, it is the time of the year I am normally hiking the local M with a 50# pack, getting in shape for either elk or an Alaskan moose hunt. For some reason I am finding it hard to get my normal motivation up for this years hunting season.  Unfortunately, I am unable to make the trip north to hunt moose this year, I have committed to vacation with my wife in October, limiting my hunting to the weekends with a few extra days as work allows.

This year I will hav live vicariously through other peoples Alaskan adventures.

If you are headed north to chase the mighty moose, let’s hear about your planning and expectations?  If you have questions there numerous people on this site who hunt AK moose with traditional equipment on a regular basis that are a wealth of knowledge.  If you need a little motivation search posts by Mike Mitten, Kevin Dill, and others who have unselfishly shared their moose hunts. All of them will share most anything they have learned about hunting moose (Except maybe who their flight service is  :biglaugh:.).

Let’s hear about your up coming AK moose hunt, hopefully some of your excitement will rub off and help kick started mine.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is Hunting AK Moose this Year?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 08:19:48 AM »
This is great,  I'll be following,  hope there's some good response.   I'd love to get after a AK moose .....  maybe someday  :thumbsup:

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 10:13:43 AM »
No AK. moose but I did draw a North Dakota moose tag !

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 10:36:17 AM »
One of my dream hunts , but I’ve waited to long I’m afraid, but I will be following this as well..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »
Well after 2 years of research I have finally booked an Alaskan Moose hunt for next year 2023….. I will be chasing elk come September this year. Best of luck to you all  :archer2:
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 01:03:51 PM »
One of my dream hunts , but I’ve waited to long I’m afraid, but I will be following this as well..
You and me both.  It's gotten past my willingness to afford now. 
But I really enjoy seeing others stories told an pics of the area and trophy.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 02:13:54 PM »
Hey Walt, heard you were taking a year off. We were only 15-20 miles away from you as the cub flies last year, I think. He's trying us on something different this year, flying east instead of west. I hope this past winter wasn't too hard on the moose.  Either way, going to be up there first couple weeks of Sept.  It's coming fast!!

R

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 10:47:41 PM »
Ryan,

How was your hunt last year?  I didn’t know we were up there at the same time.

Best of luck this year, I’ll be anxiously awaiting a recounting of your adventure!

I hunted the east side twice, a lot of moose are taken out that direction.  In 2012 I got lucky and took a moose out that way.  Here is a recounting of that hunt:
https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=74573.msg1356741#msg1356741

For some unknown reason my wife thinks me hunting moose for for 4 of the last 5 years (3 in AK & 1 in MT) is enough. Now I need to spend part of October watching the leaves change colors in Maine with her (no, I didn’t draw a Maine moose tag).  Guess I really need to get after the elk in earnest this fall.

Goal for 2023 is hunting Alaska moose with Hunter, Grant, and/or Kameron.  Maybe, if I’m lucky, all three of them will make it. That said, at my age, I really love the “Solitude” one has when hunting moose solo. I really crave the solo experience and will do a few more more solo hunts before Father Time catches me.

In 2024, at the age of 66, I will go solo again.

The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 07:09:40 AM »
Will be looking forward to any and all threads this fall.  Walt, your's was tremendous last year.  I mean TREMENDOUS!!!  :campfire:
Blaze out your own trail.

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 05:08:44 PM »
I plan to go again this year solo. I once again will be in a new spot and have to learn it. Its always an adventure. I hope to find a bull with complete antlers this year unlike the one I passed up last year. Mike

Offline JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 09:47:01 PM »
Buddy, I need to talk to you about these October vacations. LOL

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 10:08:39 PM »
Hi Mike, :wavey:

Looking forward to reading/watching your adventure it’s fall.

Folks, I always wanted to hunt Alaska solo, Mike thru his books, videos, and personal advise, helped me make the commitment to do it. 

Mike, again, thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

Walt Francis

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 05:35:34 AM »
We flew in just after you got your communications back online last year. Hunted last 10 days of season. We saw a couple of good bulls and called in 2 sublegal ones, then that cold snap hit and he moved us to another lake as the high one we were on was freezing up.  Saw a couple long range at the second place. That cold snap seemed to kind of shut them down a bit. By the 26th I was happy to get out as that lake was freezing over too! Didn't want to stay till May!  Looking forward to going back. We are on the books now and will be going back every year if things work out.

R

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2022, 05:42:28 PM »
Maybe after the ankle repairs and some serious luck, I can do this in the future.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 06:51:30 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2022, 07:44:04 PM »
You and me both.  It's gotten past my willingness to afford now. 
But I really enjoy seeing others stories told an pics of the area and trophy.
That's where I'm at also. I waited too long. Financially and physically both, I'm out.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2022, 09:54:56 PM »
I wish I could chase AK moose this fall but I will have to “settle” on WY elk in September because my wife and I are selling our house now and starting the new one this summer.  Next fall I will either be chasing AK caribou or moose, Lord willing and the creek don’t rise.  Like you Walt, I was inspired by bowhunters like Mike to chase AK moose and last year’s moose hunt was everything I had hoped for and more!  But your “Pigger went north”  story was plenty inspiring too!

Good luck Mike, I hope you get a nice bull AND some great video footage. 
Good Luck Ryan, I heard that you were hunting the same time as me and Kevin but never heard the story of how you did.
Good luck Tim, that’s gonna cut into your mule deer chasing time, isn’t it?  Nice to draw a “home state” moose tag!
Corey, I can’t wait to hear how your hunt goes, glad that you are committed for next fall!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 10:10:07 PM by Jeff D. Holchin »
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©