3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who prefers long bows for hunting?  (Read 3103 times)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who prefers long bows for hunting?
« on: June 07, 2022, 09:10:57 AM »
I’ve been reading a few threads today. On one of them, somebody commented that with a long bow the string was pulling into the body, so they prefer shorter bows.  So how many people here prefer to hunt with a 66” or longer longbow?  And, is this a significant problem?
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who prefers long bows for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 09:18:40 AM »
I have been shooting a longbow less than many but for about 28 years.  I played with R/D but a ASL is for me and have hunted with one of those for about 22 years.  the shortest one I have used was 66" but the vast majority has been 68".  I am only 5'6" tall, but feel the longer length limbs gives me more of a power stroke, and makes for smoother shot.  You do have to consider the limbs for a shot when hunting, but you have to for any bow.  I never felt that is caused me any issue, nor was there any place that I could not hunt with it.  I never liked using "pop-up" blinds, just because I like to be in nature, but I think this is the only real place that can cause an issue.  Other than that, I have hunted from ground and tree's with no issue with any of my longbows.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 09:23:10 AM »
I prefer longer bows. All of mine range from 64”-66”. In my opinion they are smoother to shoot. The length has never been a problem for me
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 09:27:13 AM »
This year I am planning on hunting with my 66" Heritage from JD Berry.  I'm very concerned with this as I'm also using a saddle and feel as though it's going to be difficult.  I'm also considering sitting on the ground or just a few feet up a tree to clear the brush.  But, like mentioned above, I'll just have to make sure of my limb clearance and plan accordingly.  I know there are many here who are successful every year.  So, it can be done!

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 09:30:57 AM »
I think that the length of a hunting bow has 2 factors to ponder.  What can you shoot accurate, and what are the conditions you hunt in?

Longer bows in general, tend to be more accurate and forgiving of shooter errors in form.  Hunting from a tree stand, or any downhill shooting can have some issues with the bowstring and heavy clothing with longer bows.

I have shot a 70" longbow out of a tree, but that would not be my preference if tree stands are the prime method of hunting.  You have to be aware of your set up and "dry run", so there are no surprises when opportunity presents itself. 

When still hunting in heavy cover many prefer a shorter bow.  Ground blinds, especially tent blinds, tend to need a shorter bow. 

Can you shoot the bow accurately under the adrenaline of a hunting shot?  This is the 2nd consideration.  Some people can shoot great with shorter bows.  Some cannot when under adrenaline.  Howard Hill could not shoot a short recurved bow well enough under hunting conditions, and returned to a longbow of ASL design.  There are much better designed shorter bows today and the options are many.  Overall mass weight of the bow can be helpful with shorter bows and increased forgiveness. 

Some bowhunters prefer a longer bow.  While a shorter bow is very nice to maneuver in cover, you will not know until you try one on a hunting shot.  Experience shooting at game will give you insight into the criticalness of the set up and functionality as a hunting weapon. 

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 09:32:00 AM »
All my bows are 66" longbows, 1 ASL and 4 R/D.  Never have had a clearance issue in any hunting scenario.  I do not hunt out of a tent or a tree stand rather a make-up ground blind and a ghillie suit.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 09:45:11 AM »
I prefer longbows, not as fragile as recurves in the field and don't need to keep up with a stringer.  Although I do have my eye on a particular one.  :saywhat:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 10:15:16 AM »
My bows are mostly 60-62" recurve, longbow and Hybrid.  The 62" Kota LB is more a spot-n-stalk bow, for me.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 11:34:10 AM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 10:20:56 AM »
ASls.  Simple, no stringer and more fun (for me).
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 11:01:18 AM »
ASls.  Simple, no stringer and more fun (for me).

I'm sorry. What does asl mean?
Blaze out your own trail.

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 11:13:52 AM »
Hil-style Jim.  American Semi.............
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 11:40:36 AM »
My greatest joy is hunting and shooting self bows and I just got an Eric Krewson Osage self bow in a trade, 66" long and 56@28. There is not doubt it will find it's way drifting in the woods next October with me.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 11:57:47 AM »
I love em all but I absolutely shoot a recurve better. I've killed more stuff with a longbow but the past couple years I've hunted with the recurve. But Terry's right, they're a bit more fragile.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 01:41:00 PM »
Hill style longbow as it is more accurate / forgiving for me.  I had an issue with string chest clearance but discovered it was a form issue.  Lean into it and the issue goes away. I just bought a bigger blind for turkey and have no issues from the stand if you bend at the waist and lean into it. You get accustomed to the length just figure out what you like better and use it.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2022, 01:58:43 PM »
Well, I prefer a 58 or 60 inch R/D.  Owned an ASL, HH Big 5 once, and once was enough.  At hunting distances under 30 yards I find the light and quiet long bow just perfect.  I have killed dozens of deer with recurves, but my go to bow is an A&H one piece. :thumbsup:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2022, 04:56:15 PM »
Only have 66" longbows,  and once I learned how to shoot them, I've had zero issues with the 66" length, neither with the string on my clothes, nor with the 66" bow in the bush. Granted you have to be aware of the bow length in the bush when making a shot, but after lots of years doing it, it's pretty much a subconscious thing now, I don't even think about bow clearance, it just happens.

I really like hunting with my longbows.

Best
Lex
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 09:00:51 PM by A Lex »
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2022, 06:30:30 PM »
I hunt and shoot almost all the times with a 62" the string on a 64" pulls into my chest and clothes and a 62 is still to long for a ground blind then i use my 60" or 56".

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2022, 06:42:18 PM »
Yeah, I've tossed many a longbow out of trees before climbing down.... but not 1 recurve.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2022, 06:54:39 PM »
Me.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2022, 07:08:30 PM »
I hunt almost exclusively from elevated stands. I have 7 Hill style and 3 R/D bows that I have used for the last 31 years. All of them are 68" long. It is not difficult to make the adjustments to prevent the bottom limb from hitting the stand.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©