3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Writing on a bow  (Read 985 times)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Writing on a bow
« on: June 10, 2022, 12:35:17 AM »
Do I have to remove some finish from a bow before writing an inscription on a bow? And, what works best for this?
Finish on over it?
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Writing on a bow
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 03:54:20 AM »
probably depends on what your using to write the inscription as far as on top of the finish.Some inks may work or types of ink pens.Might practice on something other than the bow that has a finish on it to see.

I really fine tipped marker would do it easily I believe.

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 06:59:00 AM »
When I build my bows and limbs, I use a paint pen marker and then clear over it. You can get these at art stores and places like Michael's.  Get the fine point and practice with them first. You can also order Sharpie brand paint pens on Amazon.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 09:32:56 AM »
If you are going to use a Sharpie get an industrial Sharpie(red label), the ordinary Sharpies fade over time.
 I don't build glass bows. I do seal my selfbows with Tru-Oil and satin poly over that to cut the shine. I use India ink with a nib pen. I break the finish with a very fine sandpaper then seal over the writing with satin spray poly.
 Be sure whatever you use to write with is compatible with the finish, over and under the writing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 10:57:56 AM »
I used a lot of different types of pens when I first started building bows. The calligraphy pens with India ink look cool, but are a learning curve to be artistic with.   But the best ones I found are fine point paint pens. This is what I buy.

https://www.amazon.com/UCHIDA-Color-Extra-Paint-Marker/dp/B06Y1MZ8QF/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2Z8YHQ9C3PDPP&keywords=deco+paint+pens&qid=1654959027&sprefix=Deco+%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-4

It’s best to clear coat over your writing, but you need to be careful what kind of clear coating you use on a finished bow. DON’T use a spray lacquer…. That can be a nightmare and melt some clear coats. It’s pretty hot stuff.   If it’s a finished bow I wouldn’t mess with clear coating over it. Just use the paint pen…. That’s the safest bet.     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 10:08:56 PM »
I used a lot of different types of pens when I first started building bows. The calligraphy pens with India ink look cool, but are a learning curve to be artistic with.   But the best ones I found are fine point paint pens. This is what I buy.

https://www.amazon.com/UCHIDA-Color-Extra-Paint-Marker/dp/B06Y1MZ8QF/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2Z8YHQ9C3PDPP&keywords=deco+paint+pens&qid=1654959027&sprefix=Deco+%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-4

It’s best to clear coat over your writing, but you need to be careful what kind of clear coating you use on a finished bow. DON’T use a spray lacquer…. That can be a nightmare and melt some clear coats. It’s pretty hot stuff.   If it’s a finished bow I wouldn’t mess with clear coating over it. Just use the paint pen…. That’s the safest bet.     Kirk
Sage advice from a master.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 12:47:10 PM »
Thanks everyone!
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 10:39:17 PM »
Trust me from experience. Take the Sasquatch’s advice.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©