3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Mount ideas needed  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Mount ideas needed
« on: June 11, 2022, 07:30:31 AM »
I was blessed with a nice bear up at Stickflingers and I would like to honor him by adding him to our home. He has a really nice coat and I am thinking about a full body mount when I am in a position to spend that kind of money. If anyone of you could help give me some ideas with your bear mounts I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Online arrow30

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Mount ideas needed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 08:44:52 AM »
i stole these pics from taxi.net. 

i really like this mount, it has good motion and is not agressive. and goes on a wall to keep it out of the way.

original register date- jan. 2010

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 09:00:51 PM »
Sawpilot, you will be unwelcome on this site if we don't get some pics and details of your week at Stickflingers.  (nice mount, by the way)
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 10:55:07 PM »
Hey Aaron,  take a look at 1/2 body mounts if you want save some space.  You can get them walking down a log or some other piece of landscape.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 11:46:16 PM »
I don't have a picture, but I knew a guy that had a full body bear, laying on a cross beam in his log cabin.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 12:34:28 AM »
I like lifesize bears front high as on all fours or one front foot raised.Raising the front a little higher than the rear,gets the face closer to eye level and it emphasizes the animal's size better than all four on the ground.

On hind feet,upright is not my favorite as most of the view is the bear's belly hair which is the thinnest on the body.The best hair is on the neck,sides and back so again,I like the front high pose to show this.

Keep in mind,for mounting purposes,tanned hides have a shelf life.They will last a long time as a wall hanger but that doesn't mean they can be soaked up and mounted.Usually,if not stored,tanned in a freezer,they should be mounted within a year or two.Talk to your taxidermist about that.Humidity,sunlight exposure and type of tan can all affect this.

This is what I mean by front high.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 12:57:44 AM by JimB »

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2022, 06:11:04 AM »
Thank guys, and please keep them coming.. I am really considering a full body mount. I just can’t see cutting up such a nice hide. I will try and get something written up soon. It was a fun fun week!

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 06:32:49 AM »
Real nice bear Sawpilot  :thumbsup:
Stickflingers is on my bucket list. One day......

Best
Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 08:22:10 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS, Brother!!!!  :clapper:
What did he square...??
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2022, 08:55:42 AM »
Very nice.Congratulations.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2022, 11:05:41 AM »
I killed a big bear back in 2012 and did a full body mount. I don’t like any of the open mouth snarling type of mounts. I don’t think they look natural so I went with what I thought looked natural. This bear was 410 #. The stand he is on has rollers so it is easy to move and my taxidermist did a great job with the green ferns and moss around it.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2022, 12:30:32 PM »
I agree on the closed mouth.  I had the grizzly done that way as I didn’t know any better, plus it had quite an attitude, but never again.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2022, 01:02:26 PM »
I was a full time taxidermist. I also agree on the closed mouth. Wasn’t a fan of standing bears either. A small percentage of time pose. The only thing I ever did open mouth on was rugs. Closed mouth rugs looked too flat to me.
Most bears need some alteration, the first pic unless new forms are out is lots of alteration adding a bunch to the price which s as l ready is most likely high if using a good guy. A half mount could be a consideration. Standing on something habitat could add but nothing if you have room beats a life size if money isnt in the way.
I would suggest instead of asking a bunch of guys don’t know the bear, any damage if there is any or it’s measurements/type you should figure who you’re using for taxidermist. Talk with him discussing the options, price and what will show off his features the best. For instance if he has a white blaze a 4 foot standing life size prob won’t show that off like a half mount or one stepping up onto a log.
Personally I always like to add little things into a habitat that he should interact with and do so properly. Also I’ll use deer to explain easier, say the eye looks left the ear prob rolls left too.  Called the attitude of the animal. If you want your mount to look real instead of like a mounted animal make sure he pulls that off for you. Remember a good guy gonna cost ya. More advise. If money is an issue. Do it slowly if need be. Send the hide out by your taxidermist because it needs skinned a certain way and get it tanned for now. A dry tan can just sit on your couch. Wet tan in the freezer. Neither should be indefinitely stored but it could build you time. Congrats on your bear. Was actually one of my favorite animals to do.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2022, 06:27:07 PM »
Excuse me fellas, that mighta come off wrong. I understand wanting to discuss with others ideas about mounts. Def understand the excitement about it all. Guess my point was from a taxidermist stand point as well as getting the most from an animal, if you have ideas at least see if he has a better suggestion. Also be advised, as stated bears vastly differ in dimensions. Often the head needs thinner, nose shortened, , legs longer, body thicker. Some guys undersized it all in an attempt to lessen their own personal cost putting it together. Best if you didn’t use that guy but that being said listen to the suggestions and at least consider them. Lots taxidermists can do amazing things. Rebuilding, camoflauging bad areas, but as stated in the case of say a blaze, an idea might not show it so consider different ideas. Hope that came out better
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2022, 07:19:16 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. I am definitely not doing any type of open mouth as I don’t feel it is realistic and he didn’t portray that type of personality. I don’t even recall his measurement in camp. I know he was shy of 7’ for sure. Might have been 6’5 square?.. not sure, I just know I passed a bunch of bears that week and he was the first one who had a nice size but probably the best coat I had seen all week and that’s what I was after. Most of them had been rubbing and starting to get patches of skin showing. I just hope he makes the P&Y minimum skull measurements. Here is another.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2022, 11:03:25 PM »
I'll also say get closed mouth. You will get tired of looking at it snarling. Most look weird too. Slight open is natural. I went w an upright. Takes up less space and looks good in a corner.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Skates 2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2022, 06:34:08 AM »
Love the one you posted.

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2022, 06:31:41 PM »
#1 nice!!!