3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you draw  (Read 1738 times)

Online Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you draw
« on: June 18, 2022, 10:29:21 PM »
I have a question on drawing the bow. I'm a split vision shooter and if I release the arrow when I get to full draw I would shoot high. I therefore have to lower the bow to get on target. When I do this I can sometimes feel my back tension fade and I pluck.  It has occurred to me that I might be better off drawing such that when I get to full draw I'm closer to or on target. Less moving the bow, better maintenance of back tension, better shooting? Does this make sense? How do other people draw?
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: How do you draw
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 10:38:43 PM »
I just focus on a spot and push my bow arm out (@1/3) as I draw.  When I hit anchor, sometimes there is hesitation, sometimes the arrow is gone.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 10:56:13 PM »
I draw straight to anchor with bow a out in full forward find my hold the let my aim float and make the decision to finish the shot.  Mentally the draw, anchor and aim are separate from the decision to release.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 11:34:48 PM »
2x ^^^^^
I shoot like I hunt, bow arm straight out and draw straight back.
Less movement to alert game.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 11:48:29 PM »
I shoot like Wudstix. I have a loose shooting style. By the time I pick the spot I have tension on the string. After that I don't think about the bow or arrow just where the arrow will go. I do release as soon as I hit anchor.  :thumbsup:  :archer2:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 01:41:18 AM »
Jock it somehow seems to me like you’re mixing something up. Drawing shouldn’t effect your shot being high. You’d be best shooting off the bones. To get there set your bow arm, socket of arm in shoulder. Draw until you reach anchor. Doing so you don’t pull but push your elbow back. Imagine someone pushing you from behind and you’re throwing an elbow rearward at them.
Once you truly reach anchor your bones are locked opposing each other. The draw actually feels lighter. Back tension comes in as you roll the elbow back as your linkage (fingers) let go. Your string hand should naturally slide along your face and your fingers end up at your bow.
Practice this on a string or with tension bands. I personally like string bow. 
Aiming is a different aspect than drawing. You should eventually, subconsciously be doing so if you’re high aim lower. Idk how else to say it. True gap shooting is really marking a sight (arrow point) location. That’s different.  Split vision which is how I shoot as well, is similar to a shotgun wing shooting. You see the arrow tip but it doesn’t control you. Imagine a shotgun guy saying he’s high, is it his mount and can he change it? Imo it’s not. Make sure your form is sound and your brain will correct.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Gunleather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 03:00:53 AM »
I have always used the swing draw method. The last 1/3 of the draw to anchor is straight back. If I hold more then a brief pause I’ll shoot high and right (I’m a left handed shooter). I watch Hitting’em like Howard Hill frequently. 

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 06:59:11 AM »
I use mental checks on each part of my routine starting on how I setup my shot on the pre draw, engaging my back muscles early and through the draw. The anchor is a result of a rotational draw that gets me to anchor by approaching the anchor point from the side. I then make a mental check on my alignment. If I have done everything right at this point, I should feel like I'm pulling the bow and not that the bow is pulling me, you want to ensure you are not collapsing or fighting to hold, you should feel strong on the shot. Once I'm clear, I bring all of the focus on the target and let the release happen by itself.

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 07:59:03 AM »
I use a swing draw. If I do everything right I will be on target when I reach anchor.
Keep em Sharp!

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 08:38:43 AM »
In an effort to not aim too early I was drawing way off target (high). Sometimes I would release before I got on target.

As a solution I'm trying to address the target before I start the draw. I still don't actually aim until later in the cycle (gap/split vision) but I draw with the goal of ending up on target. Old habits die hard so it's a work in progress.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 08:53:55 AM »
Bowguy67 has a good description above, and I don't think anything I’m about to say would conflict with it.  I use the rotational draw as described by Arne Moe in his video:

There is some subtlety in Arne's description.  I thought I was doing it correctly for about a year, but when I went back and reviewed his video again, I noticed some things I had overlooked before and had to change some things.

Some of you will look at his video and some of the things I write about it and say that it is too complicated; but after you learn it, you don't think about it when you're doing it, anymore than you would think about a golf swing or shooting a shotgun at a flying duck while you're doing those things, even though getting to that point requires some thought and practice.

The goal of the draw is bone on bone alignment, consistency from shot to shot, and having the arrow go where you're looking, whether you're aiming instinctively or by some outside reference.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 10:29:04 AM »
Swing draw just doesn't work well for me. My arm seems to swing rather wildly so I don't know from shot to shot exactly where I'm pointing. My sighting is split vision using a straight draw. The biggest issue is that I do have to deliberately tuck my drawing arm in to maintain back tension, otherwise, I pluck badly. Of all the potential problems I have faced, plucking is by far the primary issue.
Sam

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 03:02:51 PM »
When I draw bows ( or anything for that matter ) I usually start with a very sharp graphite pencil.
If I'm not happy with my drawing an eraser helps me clean it up. Then I'll move to colored pencils to fine tune the drawing process.

[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2022, 05:40:52 PM »
Do you use rotational drawing to make a circle around that bow and use the bow as a smiley face? :laughing:

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2022, 05:51:25 PM »
Dave's video is how I draw.  But it makes not one bit of sense to me to call that rotational.  That's just what we called a straight draw back when I was younger as learning.  The elbow is up and the string comes straight back to your anchor point.  The shoulder joint has to rotate any way you do it. 
Over complication of a simple process .
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 07:33:29 PM by GCook »

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2022, 07:04:44 PM »
Blacktailbob.

I hope you color that bow a shiny black micarta with a Wing Thunderbird logo?  Love it.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2022, 07:38:08 PM »
My draw, aim, anchor, release is much like G. Fred in his book.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 10:37:12 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2022, 10:22:41 PM »
Michael, my draw, aim, anchor and release I got from G Fred's book, Instinctive Shooting back in 1988.  :thumbsup:
 :archer2:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2022, 10:38:49 PM »
I had been shooting like that for years before I read the book, understood then what I was doing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 11:05:18 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Online Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2022, 10:50:29 PM »
OP here. I guess I should add that when I get to full draw I am aligned correctly with bone on bone thanks to reading Viper's book. The draw does in fact feel lighter.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©