3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve shooters , why ?  (Read 4671 times)

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve shooters , why ?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 11:02:02 AM »
As mentioned several types of 'longbows'.

Grip and mass I feel add to a recurve having potential to be more accurate for us nonperfect humans.

Mild hybrids are my favorite. A little softer on back end of draw and still quiet, excellent compromise.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 11:10:18 AM by katman »
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 11:28:38 AM »
Why do some like a Ford....or a Chevy....or a skinny gal....or a fat chick?

Ya likes what ya like......

Otto

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 02:10:07 PM »
I’ve come to believe the grip is about 90 percent of why a bow shoots well for you.

I love the no stringer needed and quiet of a longbow but love the grip shape of a curve so I built one , used it for 4 years and decided I wanted to camo paint one so built one as close as I could to it. Then thought I’d make one 3 lbs lighter for cold weather . It came in same as the other but my son cabbaged onto it so all good.

They are plenty fast and still quiet.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2022, 03:02:19 PM »
Dave, this is actually a pretty good question. I have not read the other responses but I will add mine. I was initially drawn to the recurve very early more so to it’s appearance. I thought they looked cool when I was a kid. As I got to shoot them I found that I shot a mass heavy recurve better than a longbow. And when I say longbow I mean a D shaped HH style. I also think the grip played a big part of it as well. I do own an older Robertson Mystic and I shoot it pretty well, especially with a bow mounted quiver. But I still shoot mass heavy recurves much better.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Wilderlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2022, 03:27:37 PM »

Terry, I appreciate all of the work you have done over the years on this site and your willingness to share your insights.  And I want to convey this in a kind way, no disrespect intended.  On this post earlier you had a member take the time to share his own perspective and experience.  You then went point - counterpoint with him.  I don’t see how that encourages people to feel comfortable with posting or sharing if the person that runs the site will pick apart their views. I know if someone did that to my post I would feel bad and that my thoughts aren’t valued. 

I appreciate the insight mate, but it's all good. I'm not particularly active here but I've hat a few PM conversations with Terry and he knows I'm new to the game. I also have fairly thick skin so it takes a lot to annoy me. Having said that, my experience is limited compared to most people here and while I back up everything I say based on my experience, it's interesting to see others have had different experiences.

I don't necessarily agree with everything Terry said, mainly because my experience has been different, but that doesn't mean either of us are wrong. I've heard that some modern longbows can be quicker than some modern recurves for sure but my ASL's aren't going to win any speed competitions compared to my Widow. At the same time, while I'm still trying to work on my form and there are things I need to improve with my bow arm, holding my Widow steady on target is much easier than my longbows and that's just the way it is.

Different opinions being discussed is always going to be a good thing if everyone is respectful.

You'll never see me shooting B50 or B55 though.  :biglaugh:

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2022, 06:10:23 PM »
Sean, thank you, it seems most of the replies are from longbow shooters who really aren’t answering why they shoot a recurve as their primary hunting bow  And Terry, I know there’s several here with 40 plus years of experience but I do respect your thoughts as I do the others  ,    Thanks guys
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2022, 06:46:33 PM »
I've hunted with and killed stuff with ASLs (2 year commitment) and hybrid type longbows (4 year commitment), but I always went back to my recurves. And I'm back there now. Just so much easier for me to shoot. Grip, mass weight, draw cycle (ie "feel").  I had to try hard to shoot a light mass hybrid well.  Had to try REALLY hard to shoot an ASL well. The recurve just feels natural to me.  Been shooting since I could walk, and I'm 48, so I guess that's probably 6 years longbow vs 39 or so with recurves for me.....maybe that has something to do with it  :goldtooth:

I'd have no issue hunting with any of the 3 types if I was required to.....however if given a choice of only 1....heavy mass wt recurve, 64 or 66 inches long, 1000%.

R

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2022, 07:25:05 PM »
Mr. Greene has enough experience and kills to just dismiss his input and advice out of hand.  I respect those who have something to show in kills or buckles or . . . A lot of guys talk, some walk the walk.  So even if I don't quite agree with him or Bisch or one of those killers, I listen and consider what they have to say and why.
However as said it's a very personal journey.
My PT three piece has longbow and recurve limbs that came in less than a pound difference, 50@27.  I shoot the same anchor point and same draw length for both.  Bareshaft testing has me shooting 400s with 150 grains up front and the recurves 340s just a touch longer with 150s up front.  Which btw is the same as my two piece PT longbow that is 55@28.  My favorite bow as well. 
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2022, 07:45:32 PM »
Sean, thank you, it seems most of the replies are from longbow shooters who really aren’t answering why they shoot a recurve as their primary hunting bow  And Terry, I know there’s several here with 40 plus years of experience but I do respect your thoughts as I do the others  ,    Thanks guys
ive been at this well over 30 years and I’ve tried a bunch of different bows along the way. But a mass heavy recurve is what suits me best.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2022, 07:54:58 PM »
Most of my sticks are 60".  My main Big River recurve is lower mass weight like a longbow, but with Ziricote in the handle.  D/R longbows are probably my favorite, although my D-Shape Kota rocks.  My main personal design thing is heavier mass in the grip area, all my custom bows have Ziricote or purple heart in the handle or grip area.  That weight helps me to shoot more consistently.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 08:00:30 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2022, 08:23:20 AM »
I love longbows and hybrids. I have both. All my longbows and hybrids are quite. I shoot them just as well and killed my first deer with a longbow.

Recurves more accurate than longbows?..

If memory serves me right, at the TN Classic this year, the highest scores was posted by longbow users...

Offline Will Telluteyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2022, 09:48:53 AM »
I shoot both of these bows every day. Bear Grizzly Recurve and a Martin Savannah Stealth longbow. There isn't a nickel difference between them. One thing I will add is I can't shoot a longbow with a straight grip.

Offline Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2022, 10:04:26 AM »
I really don't have a great deal to add as my own thoughts are recurves usually have more mass and the grip tends to enhance consistent hand placement....all that leads the recurve to be more accurate for an average shooter. While exceptions do exist, recurves usually shoot a little faster; but I don't think that aspect is a major issue.

If your a shooting machine, your not going to see a great deal of difference between longbows and recurves. Yet, for us mere mortals among the shooting elite, the recurve is more pleasant to shoot with a higher degree of accuracy.

I also can't dismiss that I just like the aesthetics of the recurve better. I grew up watching the "American Sportsman"...every weekend seeing Fred Bear drawing his recurve and shooting at the pheasant; with the feathers exploding and the bird falling. These things are pretty impressive when your 9 years old and shapes your thoughts for decades to come. Sometimes you make decisions in life that aren't made with the simplicity of a plus or minus ledger
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 02:14:56 PM by Stringwacker »
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2022, 10:15:17 AM »
Stringwacker..... Great Stuff!!!  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2022, 10:45:26 AM »
Good stuff all around. I agree, its certainly not a one size fits all sport.  I'm glad to see some things brought to light.  I remember hearing over and over and over that if you bend at the waist your shorten your draw length.  Well, Terry blew that myth out of the water with his shooting segment on the magic T in the Bowhunters of Tradgang dvd.  I was glad to see someone address that fallacy for once.

Lots of time people just repeat what they have heard, not what they have actually experienced. I'm not saying that is the case here, but it is a case none the less. 

I shoot both about the same as well. I shoot what ever based on my mood at the time.  I like it that way.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2022, 01:50:59 PM »
Well a lot has been said here so far and a lot of great points and aspects in support of  each, longbow and recurve,  to ponder.   This may be a stupid kind of answer but I'm gonna say it ......  longbows are just cooler to me and that's why I love to shoot them and hunt with them.  I've had several recurves over the years,  but always gravitate back to the longbow.  Everything about them is just top of the cool factor scale to me and maybe just because of that,  I've spent the most time with them and they do everything I need as best I could ask for.  I'm a longbow guy without question.
If you have any of them pesky longbows laying around cuz they don't shoot and you want to be rid of them,  let me know .....  :goldtooth:

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2022, 02:45:03 PM »
I have recently become a convert "ground-pounder" and hunt from a portable seat now. Using my Grizzly or Kodiak Hunter can become quite the chore if trying to shoot while seated, and easing up vertically to get the shot can have adverse results...and usually does. My one R/D bow is definitely a stand-up only type of thing, but none of this is an issue if I'm shooting my K-mag, which at 52" is very flexible for standing or sitting. As such, it's become my go-to bow for hunting.
That, and the fact that recurves just appeal to my eye a whole lot more. I know that has nothing to do with how they shoot, but might as well come clean about it. :)
Aim small,miss small

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2022, 03:09:28 PM »
Captain*KirK, no need to get all vertical about it....  :goldtooth:

Just lay it over......

60" Morrison Cheyenne RECURVE.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2022, 08:32:34 PM »
I really don't have a great deal to add as my own thoughts are recurves usually have more mass and the grip tends to enhance consistent hand placement....all that leads the recurve to be more accurate for an average shooter. While exceptions do exist, recurves usually shoot a little faster; but I don't think that aspect is a major issue.

If your a shooting machine, your not going to see a great deal of difference between longbows and recurves. Yet, for us mere mortals among the shooting elite, the recurve is more pleasant to shoot with a higher degree of accuracy.

I also can't dismiss that I just like the aesthetics of the recurve better. I grew up watching the "American Sportsman"...every weekend seeing Fred Bear drawing his recurve and shooting at the pheasant; with the feathers exploding and the bird falling. These things are pretty impressive when your 9 years old and shapes your thoughts for decades to come. Sometimes you make decisions in life that aren't made with the simplicity of a plus or minus ledger
Thanks Mark, I was hoping you’d chime in and I have to agree with ya and yea, that pheasant shot was way cool !
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©