3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve shooters , why ?  (Read 4675 times)

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve shooters , why ?
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2022, 07:27:27 AM »
I shoot a Border, so the performance is well beyond what I can get from a longbow.  But the biggest thing is that I cannot get used to the longbow grip styles.  Even the semi-recurve ones.  I was looking at recurve ILF risers and straight limbs, but this doesn't seem the same as a one piece longbow.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2022, 11:01:16 AM »
As most items that compare/contrast these two types of bows, the choice generally come down to preference. Some perform better with one, while others perform better with the other. That is what generally settles the choice. This began as a request for an explanation as to why recurve shooters prefer these bows. Naturally, it has somewhat evolved into the "this versus that" debate. That is okay with me, because each side is given something to think about regarding their choice. Some are eye opening, and some are just repeats of what has been said before. While I am a longbow guy, I still like to hear the recurve shooters speak.
Sam

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2022, 04:20:50 PM »
I shoot a recurve because that is what I started with in about 1970 and never seen a reason to change.  Plus longbows don't feel right.  I've tried shooting longbows but never liked them well enough to buy one of my own.  I think it goes back to seeing the nice recurves in the shops when I was a kid and thinking the black phenolic Super Kodiak was the coolest bow ever.

"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2022, 07:06:53 PM »
I shoot a recurve because that is what I started with in about 1970 and never seen a reason to change.  Plus longbows don't feel right.  I've tried shooting longbows but never liked them well enough to buy one of my own.  I think it goes back to seeing the nice recurves in the shops when I was a kid and thinking the black phenolic Super Kodiak was the coolest bow ever.

That's a great reason.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Aaron Proffitt 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2022, 11:02:14 PM »
I love all my bows ! Recurves, a flatbow, and a hybrid .

But , in keeping with the spirit with the intent of the original question, I generally take my recurves hunting . Only reason is that my first "cold shot " of the day is usually "on" with my recurves , as opposed, to needing a few warm-ups with my flatbow. My hybrid has a similar riser as my recurves so it's usually a similar result. Even if I shoot my flatbow daily , I still need some warm-up shots. If I wasn't prone to hitting my snooze button in the morning , I could probably get a few shots in . That's on me .

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2022, 09:54:40 PM »
1.  you don't need an instruction manual to find out how to properly hold it.  :jumper: I personally find a consistent grip better and more instinctively with a recurve.

2.  mass weight-- I like it.

3.  sight picture---I know that a lot of modern longbows are near center cut, but they didn't used to be that way and that is a big reason why I originally gravitated towards recurves.

4.  So I can argue about whether recurves are better than longbows.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2022, 10:00:11 PM »
Hey Gregg, I don't even notice the difference in the site picture of either.  Luv ya bro. :campfire:

Talking to a gentleman tomorrow about a TD recurve, and I'm not worried about the site picture... :archer2:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2022, 10:47:43 PM »
I hear ya!  But I'm just a mere mortal.   :biglaugh:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2022, 04:42:22 AM »
I hear ya!  But I'm just a mere mortal.   :biglaugh:

You weren't at Solana!

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2022, 12:02:51 PM »
My answer isn't technically based at all... in fact, I'd say I like my recurves better BECAUSE i've never been able to perfect my form.  I think the R/D and extreme examples like the Shrew and Thunderchild are the coolest looking bows on the planet, but I've never put down the funds to own one and try one.  I've bought a handful of various long bows over the years and always end up selling them.  I simply don't shoot them as well as my recurves.  I've got 5 or 6 recurves still fully set up of all varying brands - and I can pick up any of them and go shoot and be zoned in from the first shot or 2.  With the longbows I've had, I simply wasn't consistent - again, I'm sure it was my form, not the bow.  The fact is, that's my valid answer of why I shoot recurves.

I'm still looking though - I still love the look of a sleek R/D or hybrid long bow.  I don't like the traditional D-shape at all from a pure aesthetics perspective.  One day I'll find that perfect radical longbow with a recurve beefy grip that fits perfect and gives me the best of both worlds. 
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2022, 02:22:58 PM »
What last arrow, Greg and Cook said plus...I love lots of beautiful wood and long bows just don't have that much compared to a recurve and I love curves.

[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2022, 03:04:04 PM »
When I first switched to a recurve I overbowed myself...a lot! I'd been shooting compounds in the 85#-90# range so I figured a 72# recurve would be just right. Never killed anything and I realize in hindsight, I was never in control of the bow. Went back to a recurve in '88 with a 55# Widow MA. Took my time and worked on form and began to have some success.
Switched to longbows in 2005. I enjoyed my time with them and the lighter mass weight, but never put the recurves down entirely. Stumbled onto the Widow PTF a few years back. It is Widow's lightest mass weight recurve with more of a classic riser style. Maybe because I started this journey with a recurve there is an emotional attachment of some kind? I will still shoot longbows, but if I had to choose one bow, it would be a recurve.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 04:50:08 PM by Mike Bolin »
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2022, 06:42:11 PM »
Sounds like im not alone on this, and I’m in no way bashing longbows, I own more longbows than I do recurves and can shoot longbows well but I have to think about the grip and watch my form more with them. I guess the heavier riser than on my one or two piece longbows as well as a very consistent grip are a couple reasons, after reading these great responses I can throw in the fact it’s cut farther past center making it more forgiving on arrow spine as well. People say a longbow is more durable than a recurve , that may be true in some cases but Ive put my bows through a lot from dropping em out of trees to them sliding down a mountain side , I’ve scratched em up but never damaged one enough to affect its hunt ability , I once dropped one out of a tree, it landed on a limb tip, relaxed the limbs enough where the string wrapped around the bowquiver twisting both limbs sideways , I was able to unstring it and hand twist  the limbs back in position  restring it and it was fine. That’s tough enough for me.
     I do love longbows and will will continue to hunt with them but I think a recurve will always be my go to hunting bow.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2022, 07:17:10 PM »
I was first drawn to Traditional Bows back in the mid 80s, specifically the Black Widow Graybark leaning against the tree in the Outdoor Magazine Catalogs… Pretty sure it was an MAII Always wanted one and finally saved up for one. Figured out real quick that I couldn’t afford it so I settled on an all Black HS60 60” Recurve 57lbs @28”…. I was hooked and proud of that bow… Still have it and she’s all prettied up with Diamondback skins and blond maple exposed with black riser… I hunted with it til 2012 when I got my first ordered Black Widow. I realized that the longer bows give me trouble in the treestand at close range. I was deadly from 15-22 yards but the closer they got and the higher in the stand I got it was problematic. I tried all kinds of recommended form changes and it just preoccupied my mind. I’m 5’10” short arms, bigger chest so it is what it is…When Black Widow came out with the KB in 54” I was all in… Went to Kazoo and made sure, yep all good… Bow on the way! I like mass weight & short bows so the recurve is the best fit for me. I can shoot longbows fine from the ground and I do like them. In fact I can shoot any Black Widow and it will hit where I’m looking… The PL though is not a short bow… I’ve always wanted a Centaur and that’s the closest shorter FAST longbow I’ve found. Guess what, light as a feather and I like mass weight so I’d need to add a quiver and maybe some day I will or do dark matter and options to bring the weight up. But, that’s to have a longbow for longbow sake cuz I likes what I likes and the Black Widow KB or the new Africa PCH I own are stone cold killers, with the right amount of mass weight… And they’re short so I don’t even think about gyrations in the stand, just stare and shoot  :archer2: :goldtooth: :campfire:  :saywhat:

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2022, 07:34:38 PM »
I'd have to agree w both Mark & Ryan. I'm closing in on 60 yrs bowhunting. I've had a couple R/F-D/F longbows. Both were custom made with more of a Recurve style grip modeled after the Bear #2 grip.
Shot game with both. Just like the versatility of the the Bear TD. I like a bit of mass weight too.
To each their own.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2022, 07:47:09 PM »
You caught me on a night that I was drawn and had time to post… Looks like in response to my own post :dunno:

I am of the school “It’s the Indian and not the Bow”… I know what rock I’d prefer to pick up to get something done… Your rock may be different, but pursue the understanding or experience that let’s you KNOW what rock you’re gonna grab, of the available Rocks to accomplish your goals…. :campfire: Grab it, throw it,   :archer2: and don’t look back :pray: :notworthy: :goldtooth: There are other ways to optimize the harvest, a slope to never never land. No judgement, just sayin :campfire:

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2022, 01:21:08 PM »
It is a matter of aesthetics for me. I like the look of a recurve much better than the longbow. I don't even like slim riser recurves.

I've only ever shot one longbow, one that was given to me. That longbow lives with someone in Alaska these days.

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2022, 05:27:20 PM »
Yep Last Arrow I love me some curves too. Ladies got them and...why do think they call them Re-curves? Cuz to ME curves are sexier than a stick.
No offense meant to stick lovers.  :bigsmyl:
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2022, 07:58:46 PM »
I am shooting two recurves at this time, a Toelke Chinook and a Toelke SSLR. For years I shot only longbows and I love longbows and I plan on having another sometime down the line. The three bucks I’ve taken have been with Toelke ASL’s.
 I was actually thinking about selling my chinook but the only thing that is stopping me is finding a 6” diameter tube to ship it in! Lol. The recurves I own shoot faster than the longbows I’ve owned with the same draw weight and the recurves have felt easier to hold back at anchor. They feel smoother to draw. Aside from that, I think recurves are way sexier and now that we live back in Michigan, for some reason I feel they are more aesthetically valid thanks to Fred Bear.  This is all subjective of course except for the FACT that they look way sexier with a Great Northern quiver on them then a longbow does! 😜
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 08:08:47 PM by tzolk »
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2022, 08:15:36 PM »
I mean COME ON!!! Look at the curves!!! If you think a longbow looks sexier with a Great Northern quiver on it then you are just wired wrong!!!!! :biglaugh:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 09:31:14 AM by tzolk »
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©