3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mismatched  (Read 1772 times)

Offline spurdude

• Trad Bowhunter
Mismatched
« on: June 23, 2022, 11:13:44 AM »
 Left single bevel broadheads and right winged fletched arrows. It would seem that when the right spinning arrow hits game the left bevel would cause the arrow to reverse direct. I imagine this is an energy robbing action. But really how much? Would the fletching override the bevel or would there not be much affect at all. My test show no real difference in penetration from properly matched setup. Im just looking for opinions. 42# 450gn arrow total , 150gn Grizzly head.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Mismatched
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 12:41:11 PM »
Yes, it does decrease performance, but not enough so one would notice on deer size critters.  Whether matched or not, the arrow is likely to pass through unless it solidly hits a large bone, then neither is likely to make it through.  No real way to measure it, but folks have been doing it long enough to detenct a problem if there was one.  Doesn't seem to be. 

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 12:46:33 PM »
Why? Why would you intentionally shoot mismatched arrows? This has been brought up more than once by the way so your not the only one that has tried it. I just cannot understand why?
First off you know the arrow is spinning in flight the fletching dictates direction. We also know a single bevel turns when it hits animals or targets. Anyone that has ever shot a single bevel into a foam target knows it is a fact.

The mismatched arrow will spin to the feather direction, how could it possibly not lose momentum and penetration after hitting something with a broadhead trying to turn the opposite direction? It’s not going to stop and reverse direction. It will continue moving forward but at a much reduced momentum. All the benefits of a single bevel are lost. The bone splitting, deeper penetration, the “S” cut...all those things rely on the rotation.

Feathers are what 30 cents a piece unless your really getting ripped off. Splurge on the 1$ worth of feathers and be done with it. Your test, any test on foam or any other concocted target material is not going to prove anything other than it’s not working like it’s supposed to.

Before you read thru 15 answers by people that have no clue what there talking about, only speculating, and then pick out those answers that agree with what you wanted in the first place. Check out Innovative Outdoors on YouTube  the guy does the test that proves it once and for all. Short version, your boneless target proves nothing and if you hit anything the arrow stops spinning and you may as well shoot a double bevel. The End
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 01:06:43 PM by Baylee »

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 01:51:12 PM »
I've noticed less than a half turn through animals with left bevel, left wing, left clamp set ups.  I personally believe that aspect is way over rated.
And Baylee some folks don't have three different clamps for their jig.  Some folks find a great deal on some heads that don't match their jig and feather selection and want to get it if it will work.
It's one of those things that we are just supposed to accept and not question but as intelligent people we should question.  We should try and fail or succeed.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 02:00:28 PM »
Well the results have been proven. If you’d prefer to believe you can defy basic common sense and physics have at it. That great deal you got on a single bevel heads would be better spent on a double bevel if your too cheap to match a dollars worth of feathers. I’ve seen this question asked by guys buying 45$ A Piece broadheads lol. Spend all that money on broadheads and listen to 10 podcasts about single bevels and then do the exact opposite of common sense and reason and believe they are getting the same results. It’s amazing how the human brain works sometimes

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 04:24:17 PM »
Baylee's at it again, LMAO  :coffee:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 05:58:40 PM »
As stated, in the whitetail woods it won't matter one bit. 

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 07:02:24 PM »
As a long time bowhunter and someone that 100% lives this stuff that would be so far down my list of worries I'd never get to it.  You'll get more benefit from 6 extra practice shots a day than worrying about matching bevels or not.  Physics also prove a bumblebee can't fly. I don't worry about that either. (Coming from a guy that's 24 years into a career as a research scientist).  😀

R

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 07:14:06 PM »
Baylee you're not the only lifelong committed bowhunter out there. 
Maybe you've killed Cape Buffalo and elephant with your bows and have a different perspective.  And if so I can respect that.  Honestly I don't disagree with you.  If I had a choice between buying left or right I'd buy left because that is what I shoot.  That said in these times of tough to find heads in particular weights and I needed some for a hunt I wouldn't turn down rights in a pinch.   Plenty of us kill a lot of game with our bows and arrows set ups that don't quite meet Dr. Ashbey's mold. 
Does it make some difference?  Sure.  But not enough any of us will ever tell the difference on North American game.

By the way I like the bumblebee analogy.👍
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:06:29 PM by GCook »

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 08:45:45 PM »
I usually try and stay outa these, but I'm gonna toss this out...

I don't shoot "groups"..... EVER! I shoot 1 arrow, and go get it. I want consistency in my shooting, NO misses.
My money is on the guy who can put EVERY arrow in the "kill zone" from 3 yards, to 30 yards.

Years ago, when my boys were young, I was in an Archery Club. We had a family membership.
After every 3-D shoot, we had to walk the course to make sure everyone was accounted for.
A few of us Trad guys would volunteer to walk the course. We took our bows, and one arrow.
When you lost your arrow, you were done.
The "winner" was the one who shot the most targets, with the same arrow.

The first time we did this, Our best shooter, the guy who always shot the tightest groups and won all of the indoor tournaments, lost his arrow on target #7... It got to be a game, and we started getting together a couple times a week, for what we called the "one arrow challenge".... ALL of us, saw great improvement in our 3-D scores.

Perfectly matched equipment, gives people confidence.... But practice, makes perfect!! :archer2:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 10:17:41 PM »
Everyone has opinions some have too many. Some feel the need to comment on everything they read rather they have any experience with the subject or not.

So why do people shoot single bevels in the first place? They are not cheaper, they do not fly any better than a similar profile double bevel, I doubt even the most sharpening challenged individual could quantify the difference in difficulty of sharpening either.
If you shoot single bevels for the performance increase over double bevels Ashby wrote of and tested, probably the reason most do. And also why some cost 40+ dollars each for the same basic design that has been around for several decades at a fraction of the cost. Your  nullifying those benefits without the rotation of the broadhead. The feather fletch will over power the broadhead. These are not made up internet opinions.

The 2 broadheads I shoot and hunt with are Schulz Hunters heads and Grizzlys. I’ve shot a few dozen deer and more hogs with both. There is a difference in the wound channel. That’s my real world experience Ashby study or not. I’ve also seen the mismatch wound channel 2 separate times and there was not the same wound channel. None of this is opinion none of it make believe. 

If you buy miss matched broadheads because you got a good deal or maybe found some in a ditch? If you understand mismatching them turns your high dollar single bevel into basically a double bevel that doesn’t rotate, and your fine with that great. The OP asked a question that has an answer based on testing and real world examples not just made up opinions.

And that’s what’s bad about Internet information. You ask the question enough and you’ll get every answer you could imagine. Some based on personal experience, some on fact based testing and then a whole bunch of made up opinions by folks just wanting to get in the conversation.

Lastly physics does not prove a bumblebee cannot fly. That’s more nonsense that has been repeated so much the non informed public start to believe it and repeat it. It’s not true never was, and is easily proven to be made up nonsense but few bother to question it. The fact that a “research scientist” repeats it just proves my point.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 10:57:38 PM »

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 10:54:04 AM »
I've never seen a need for me to change to single bevel.  I'm sure it MIGHT make a difference on a ball joint hit out of a heavy bow with heavy arrows, but most people now are shooting 50#s and there is no guarantee some type of head is going to blow through ball joint or upper leg bone.  I find if more advantageous to shoot 4 blades while staying on top of the accuracy department.  :archer2:

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 12:01:16 PM »
 :biglaugh:

Reminds me of the old guy down the road from where I grew up....

"STAY OFF MY LAWN!"

😉

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 01:16:13 PM »
Why would you want to mismatch anything, just because you can, you knuckle heads :biglaugh: but seriously I love you all to each his own, I also do wierd stuff just because I can.

Offline spurdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2022, 03:38:12 PM »
Well now, Thank you everyone for the chiding, scolding , berating and the occasional insighted answers.  if you read the post with thought as it was meant I said I knew first of all it WAS a mismatch and secondly I knew it Would rob energy All implying I was aware it was not a perfect set up. It was just an academic question as what really happens and to what degree and if any of you all actually new. If I misled anyone with my improper wording or sentence structure I do apologize. For the record If were to actually hunt any animal I would positively use the proper set up re-fletching an arrow or buying different broadheads if needed. I sometimes have been known to do things outside the box or at least experiment with things and most of all wonder "What if" or "Why not" For instance Does a red arrow fly faster than a black one... Don't know and don't care, right now but someday I might want to know. Thanks there was some thought provoking answers.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2022, 06:39:41 PM »
Superdude, don't worry about it.  Deer are nothing but a paper grocery bag full of shaving cream, a few tinker toys, and a ball joint.  Just stay away from the ball joint even if you are matched.  There are no guarantees no matter the number of bevels or right or left.

For those of you that are too young to know what tinker toys are....

High Tech Tinker Toy Helicopter....

Now just add shaving cream and a grocery bag and ya got yourself a whitetail.  :goldtooth:

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 06:45:43 PM »
Terry,    :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:  I miss playing with tinkertoys!!!

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 06:48:40 PM »
Terry,    :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:  I miss playing with tinkertoys!!!

Jason

We are going to miss you in TX!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2022, 02:22:01 AM »
Before I ever knew about matching fletches with bevels, I shot two cedar arrows completely through a gemsbock
in South Africa.  Now I know better, and I do match them up. 

Murray
Murray Seratt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©