3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who MAKES there own aluminum arrows  (Read 1904 times)

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
who MAKES there own aluminum arrows
« on: July 04, 2022, 01:41:03 PM »
i am thinking about going from wood to aluminum arrow making ...is making them any harder and what is the process like...thanks

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: who MAKES there own aluminum arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 01:52:26 PM »
With aluminum you don’t have to stain and seal them. No tapering points or nocks. Very consistent and straight. Pretty simple John. Good luck

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 03:31:26 PM »
All you need is a plumbers pipe cutter, something to chamfer with like reloaders case chamfering tool.  Some acetone to prep before fletching and you're all set.

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 03:44:42 PM »
thanks guys...you are a help with ideas..

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 04:49:59 PM »
For a while, Fletchtite changed their formula, and feathers would fall off aluminum shafts like leaves from a tree in the fall.  I switched to NPV.  I haven't heard of that problem lately, so maybe Fletchtite fixed it, but I stayed with NPV for aluminum, Fletchtite for carbon, and Duco for wood.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 06:00:01 PM »
Yaa a pipe cutter is what you need for sure!Go slow and work your way down till you cut through.Its easy!I sometimes file the end lightly with Bastard file to clean it up.I use duco glue for the nock application.I use fletch tape and it works well with aluminum for me.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 10:17:53 PM »
When I shot aluminum shafts (xx78’s),  I would always cap dip them first,  in clear or get fancy with the white and cresting.  This gave the fletch tite something good to stick to.  I used ferrule tite hot melt for the inserts.  I don’t shooting aluminum any more though....... it’s wood or carbon for me.

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 06:05:59 AM »
I find aluminum arrows much faster to make than woods. No staining, laquering, straightening, etc. I still use woods for some purposes though.

When fletching aluminums I sand the area the fletch will go with fine grit wet and dry and then wipe down with isopropyl alcohol. I use Loctite 401 glue and find it sticks well and sets quickly.
Alan

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 09:01:50 AM »
I shoot all aluminum out of my recurves and wood out of my longbows.  I would hate to guess how many dozens of each I have made over the 30+ years.  I don't like shooting ugly arrows so I doll them up most of the time.

I use Bohning paints to do the cap dips, Testors fast drying enamel for the cresting and Saunders NPV for the glue.  It has been a winning combination for me for years.

D.P.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 09:34:23 AM »
Been shooting bows since the 80's, and have never used anything but aluminum shafts. Be careful using a pipe cutter.  It's easy to slightly indent the shaft when cutting, which can make it difficult to install inserts.  I made a jig for my Dremel tool for cutting aluminum shafts. 
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 09:55:14 AM »
I’ve shot aluminum for 40 years with some wood along the way. I just made up my first carbons ever this spring but doubt I’ll use them. With that said, aluminum is so easy to build. I prefer the legacy’s with the swaged nock end. But I use a simple tubing hand held tubing cutter and use a  old snuffer head to clean the burr after the cut. I usually use cap wraps and fletchtite , with aluminum you can heat the shaft to turn inserts or to help adhesion of hot melt , unlike carbon     Good luck I think you will be pleased with the ease of building aluminum arrows
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 10:53:32 PM »
Been revisiting aluminum arrows lately. Just finished up half a dozen for my Bear TD . I used to cap dip but not anymore, I use wraps. I buy Orcal 651 or 751 12”x12” sheets at Michael’s craft store. I use my paper cutter to cut to size. I get a dozen out of a sheet for my 2014 shafts. Each sheet is about $2.50.  I prep the shaft with Acetone then apply the wrap. I use Bohning fletch tite for glue. I also crest the wrap using Acrylic paints. I used to use an xacto saw and miter box to cut the shafts. I cleaned up the cut edge with rat tail file. These days I have a cheap Harbor Frieght cut off saw that works for my carbons as well.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 05:30:46 PM »
I just made up a dozen aluminum this morning. Cut to length, glue inserts and nock, chopped feathers, fletched with tape, dab of super glue gel at each end, screw in points, DONE. Less than two hours.

Not that it was a race. I just wanted to see how long it took.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 06:03:48 PM »
I really like aluminum. Very easy to work with. Pipe cutters and a pocket knife to ream out. They are straight and have good weights.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2022, 05:58:11 PM »
Get yourself a piece of wood dowel that its inside of the shaft if using a pipe cutter.
FWIW, aluminum is the most consistant arrow material
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2022, 07:39:46 PM »
I used to use a small tube cutter, but if you don't tighten it in very small increments, it pinches the aluminum down a fraction.  Then if you ream out the end of the shaft with a knife or other object it creates a small angled ramp on the inside shoulder of the shaft wall, which encourages the insert to be jammed up into the end of the shaft if the arrow hits something solid.  I had several arrows get wrecked that way, then someone here on TG made a comment about that very issue, and explained the root cause.  I switched to using my Dremel jig, and the problem was resolved.  I assume it's because the Dremel leaves a 90° shoulder on the shaft for the insert to rest up against.  No more tube cutter.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 08:17:06 AM »
Go for it, easier to make than wood less steps in the process. I think aluminum is a great choice they are straight and very stable in flight. I prefer them over carbon for me I think they stabilize a little faster then carbon, again that is just my perception.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Beware the simian swine jockey
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2022, 09:48:12 AM »
Like Wheels2 said, put a dowel inside the shaft before cutting and it will reduce or eliminate the crushing/crimping
Ooo, who, who hangs free

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2022, 03:01:30 PM »
A drill bit works as well to keep the cutter from smashing the shaft. They used to sell a small tubing cutter, think it was 3R. I have one because when bare shaft testing at the range with no electricity a cutoff saw is worthless.

Now that our club has an indoor range I can avoid the heat. I am using my aluminum arrows more now. Don’t have to worry bending arrows that might miss the backstops.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2022, 08:06:31 PM »
aluminum is sooo easy. as mentioned a pipe cutter something to debur. If you like you can dress up by capping and cresting. Or just do wraps. I love wood but they are harder for me to use. Aluminum is louder imo (but I like to put paracord in them to quit the hollow sound. Im thinking of making up some 1916's myself. I can get fall stalkers dirt cheap. Not as strong but once you get them tuned you shouldnt have to worry about bending them (unless I hit a tree) lol
Slickhead

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©