3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mental Target Practice  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Mental Target Practice
« on: July 07, 2022, 11:27:55 AM »

Once you turn loose an arrow you can't get it back to do over. How many times have you had an easy shot at an animal and in the excitement rushed the shot?

Let the excitement work in your favor because its part of the game! It starts now, just before season! Let your practice sessions be good practice. I have relived the shot on the caribou pictured with me a thousand times since I made the shot, but more importantly a thousand times before the shot.

People ask me all the time about how I shoot in a hunting situation. Once you have the basic form and muscle memory and ability to shoot a given weight, the rest is 90% a mental exercise, and I mean that 100%. When you practice for a hunt get one arrow and practice with that one only! I go through a series of steps to prepare for a hunting shot while target shooting at home.

Step's are
1 Proper and consistent form is a must! All hunting situations are different in the field but if you practice different angles and obstacles its all the same. That proper forms starts at the grip, to the glove or tab as well as the feet. I get my shoulder pointed at the target, then tap my glove on my side to get it the same every time, then feel the bow grip to know that it is where it always should be.

2 TOTAL FOCUS on the exact spot that you want to hit. I drill a spot through the spot and picture the arrow exiting where it should at the start of the shot process. And you need to mean it, don't just hope your going to hit it know that your going to hit it. Imagine the excitement at the time of a hunting shot each time in your head and picture yourself making the shot. Don't rush it in the excitement because you only get one chance to make it right.

3 Shot process and follow through. I pick a spot and imagine a line from the tip of my arrow to my bow hand to my anchor point. It must be like a laser, a perfect line in all those three points before releasing the arrow. When its all good draw through and follow through with the shot! Don't be tempted in the excitement to give in at the shot and peek to see where you hit. That last second of the shot is as important as the first tension on the string! You must draw through and follow through all the while staying focused on the spot. If you do all that the arrow will magically appear there.

4 Perfect practice in simulating a hunting situation in your mind each and every time will make it almost automatic at the time of a hunting shot. Your mind MUST be used to the feelings and excitement of the situation before it happens or in most cases you will blow it in one way or another.  That's where the one arrow helps in practice and for years after the 4th of July I shoot nothing but an arrow with a broadhead that I will be hunting with. You need to be used to that being in your sight picture as well!

5 Once you get the steps down its ALL about total focus. Nothing on your mind but making the shot and hitting the exact spot that you want to hit. To prepare for that I don't put a dot or spot on the target. Once you have shot a target a few times there will be a tear, a dark spot or something. Train yourself to pick those different spots to focus on. Its easy to focus on a bright dot and shoot at it but focus on a spot that's almost not even there and think of it as your chance of a lifetime at the trophy animal you want. One shot at a time and change angles every shot and your in the game.

6 ALWAYS shoot each arrow out of the bow that you will be hunting with and the head that will be used. All the above means nothing if you get to the shot and an arrow flies crazy!

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mental Target Practice
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 11:45:39 AM »
Good post Mike!  I practice the same way you describe especially 1 arrow, 1 shot.  I used to shoot groups but if the first shot is off seldom do you get a second chance in real life hunting situations/ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 01:23:38 PM »
Great article in the latest Traditional Bowhunter magazine regarding Target Panic and how concentration plays an important role

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 02:20:11 PM »
Very well stated! I try to do it this way also. Using only one arrow really does help. Instead of being concerned about how a group turns out, it encourages a shooter to analyze each shot to figure out what went well or what messed up. It makes corrections a lot easier. This is a really good item for new guys to study carefully.
Sam

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 11:26:40 PM »
One of the things that troubles me is that in most hunting scenario's the time it takes to go through a shot sequence is longer than the time offered for a shot. Sleeping boar, fine. The fox that just raced into your call and gives you a split second shot, the deer that walks through the only tiny shooting window, the myriad of other situations where seemingly the animals dictate when the shot must be at zero notice, is when things go awry. In these situations the shot sequence needs to be no longer than shooting at aerial targets to get a shot away.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 05:02:07 PM by ozy clint »
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 11:45:34 PM »
What target does one get that will take that kind of broadhead shooting.  They claim these block and other targets handle broadheads but mine get chewed up pretty fast.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 07:45:15 AM by GCook »
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 07:31:22 AM »
Great post Mike !!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline strigif0rm3s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 08:02:56 AM »
What target does one get that will take that kind of broadhead shooting.  They claim these block and other targets handle broadheads but mine get chewed up pretty fast.
I would also like to know what other people are using for broadheads.

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 09:16:41 AM »
Enjoy hearing how others practice.  Some days I put pressure on my practice session by deciding that I can shoot only until I miss the bullseye or feel I've made a poorly controlled shot.  Stringing the bow, grabbing tab and arrows and quiver, walking out to the back yard, placing the large Block target down range and then shooting a poor shot sends me right back inside (sometimes after only 1 shot).  Helps me focus more -or- helps me find the bourbon bottle.
 :archer2: -or-  :banghead:
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 09:27:47 AM »
Wow! If I only shot until I made a bad shot, I would shoot very few arrows, indeed!
Sam

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 09:53:45 AM »

I have shot this target for over 5 years and have started having to fill with great foam. Got it a OJAM when a couple of guys came up from Mississippi.

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 12:30:32 PM »
Wow! If I only shot until I made a bad shot, I would shoot very few arrows, indeed!

That's true . . . and that is why I do it only every so often.  It forces me to shoot under pressure and that is my reason for doing it some days.  Besides, I don't mind grabbing a bourbon to sit and contemplate all things archery deer hunting.
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 02:19:20 PM »
I do both singles and groups.  But even if shooting multiple arrows that first one is the one that is normally where I want it.  The second pretty dang close.  Sometimes I choke on the third one.  But one arrow at a time actually makes my practice sessions last longer as I walk more and think more.  Takes longer to fatigue as well.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2022, 10:11:13 AM »
 :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2022, 10:22:22 AM »
Great advice Mike :::
How soon we forget some of the basics  :archer2:

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2022, 08:45:59 AM »
Great post Mike, I also shoot a lot of broadheads but my 3 blade vpa’s really eat up a block or 3-d target forcing me to switch to field points but both impact the same
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Safari Tuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2022, 09:42:35 PM »
Good post Mike

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2022, 12:11:55 AM »
One arrow at a time helps get my steps in.  Visualization of the shot is good.  Three arrow max, unless I'm picking slightly different spots on the targets.  Busting nocks ain't fun.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 07:19:23 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"