3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chasing the Little ball  (Read 1236 times)

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Chasing the Little ball
« on: July 13, 2022, 09:16:20 AM »
This is the time of the year when so many of us are practicing hard to get ready or more ready for opening day. A great many of us had 3D targets to practice on and they are great and very useful. However, as one that loves to roam about shooting totally unknown distances with my bows, I love the smaller challenges. Now when I had access to a very large pasture that had several trees scattered on it, I hung small plastic bottles like the white ones that something like Aleeve comes in. Then I simply walked around and shot from different angles and distances. But since then, I was forced to change my tactics. So, with blunts or bludgeons, I began the tennis ball journey. Now, I have a tennis ball freely hanging by a cord in front of a 3D target to focus at. it is not taking the place of the 3D's function, it is simply a backstop. But the best thing for me is to chase the tennis ball. If you have a decent rock free yard which I have not at all, you can do this there. But I have access to an old gold course that is now a Disc course. It is owned by our local Optimus Club and they allow me to metal detect there and so there is no issue about the ground at all. I simply stand in one spot and toss the tennis ball out from me and where ever it stops is my shot. I shoot from there until I hit and move it, then gather my arrows. The catch is that I have to shoot at the ball from the spot that I gathered the arrows. This can mean moving around in a large area. The object of course is to use just one arrow and to shoot a tight shot to the ball. Of course, it may take a few shots to get the hang of it but don't quit because it will make you a better shot. I try to get new shooters into doing this after they seem to have their form down pretty good. I do this with both the recurve and the longbow. People will come over to see what you are doing and many really like the idea of it. When the tennis ball becomes too easy, you simply go to a smaller ball. I try to use a brightly colored tennis ball at first. In some areas, you may have to use a flu flu to be safe. It is simple and cheap practice and forces you to focus on a smaller target the size of maybe a rabbit head or squirrel head.  if there is more than one of you shooting, one an even take a shot at the moving ball as it slows down to a stop. It is both fun and challenging.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chasing the Little ball
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 09:27:41 AM »
Sounds like a reasonable system.  Sort of like roving in the back yard shooting at dandelion heads.   :archer2:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 12:41:15 PM »
I used to throw Judos at a mildewed tennis ball in the yard.  But now don't have that option.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 01:25:27 PM »
I do something similar, I throw a tennis ball out and only shoot one arrow. I get one point for every hit and -1 for every miss. Each time I retrieve the arrow, I kick the ball and start again. Most times I'm in the minus but it sure is fun and close shots don't count, no mulligans either. I play to either +5 or -5.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 10:57:49 PM »
Challenging and enjoyable practice should serve hone you quite well for deer season.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 08:31:05 PM »
Agree wholeheartedly, I've been chasing and bashing tennis balls around with my longbows for years. A tennis ball and one arrow would probably take-up the majority of my "practice" sessions. Toss it out in the paddock or the bush and there's the first target. If it falls where I cannot see it, I "stalk" it then shoot it as soon as I can see it.

I prefer a well faded ball as I find it makes me concentrate harder on its center, they don't stand out like a new ball does. But of late though, it doesn't seem to take long and a new ball looses its "newness" rather quickly   :goldtooth:

Normally do it with blunts, but will use a broadhead if I'm coming up to a hunt.

Terrific way to practice for me, and it's really neat to see that arrow fly in and "POCK" that tennis ball hard......very satisfying  :biglaugh:

Best
Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 10:54:13 PM »
I have plastic water bottles scattered around my farm partially hidden in the weeds. When the sun shines on them, it's like seeing the glint of an eye and the arrow doesn't bounce like when hitting a tennis ball. I use hex blunts that don't seem to get lost.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 02:00:57 AM »
And great on bunnies too actually.........

Best
Lex
Good hunting to you all.
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2022, 08:12:59 AM »
I have done the washer thing only I used JB Weld, I also used wing nuts and bolts epoxied to 357 mag brass that I drilled the primer pocket out. I also used the washers for cottontails and a few swamp rabbits. I liked the wingnuts because they grabbed on everything so didn't lost very many of them. I also used them to chase the little balls or small pill bottles. I preferred the more durable pill bottles to cut down on the mess. I destroyed another tennis ball yesterday, was rather fun. I use the bright tennis balls because of new shooters, I still make myself pick a spot. years ago, I had four compound shooters making fun of my stick and string until I pointed out a yellow flower about 25 yards away and took it off with one shot. they shut up. I just focus better on objects so much better than paper targets.

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2022, 04:19:47 PM »
Well, looks like I am down to my last tennis ball, I finished off the one I was using, although I am still gonna use it a little bit more. it resembles a destroyed flat tire on a truck that should have stopped a lot sooner. My son-n-law finally hit the ball, he just doesn't shoot enough. I had given him a 45# Bear Grizzly that I wish that I had kept. He shoots it maybe once every two years or so, kind of a waste but maybe someday he will get into it.

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2022, 09:33:33 PM »
Walmart (or Kmart over here) $2.50 for a pack of 3.
Cheap, long lasting (sort of) and a good fun practical reactive target.
What is there not to like about that  :biglaugh:

Best
Lex
Good hunting to you all.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2022, 04:30:47 PM »
We used to simply call it "kicking the can". I refer to it as "yard work"  :biglaugh:

From  gallon jug with a little sand to dandelion heads , actual cans/plastic water bottles, pine cones, plastic bottle caps, and yes tennis balls ....Love it. Like a back-yard rove . Punching paper gets pretty boring ....switching things up and having fun keeps you focused and sharp. 
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 04:30:21 AM »
......switching things up and having fun keeps you focused and sharp.

Yep, absolutely  :thumbsup:

Best
Lex
Good hunting to you all.

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 08:59:24 AM »
the best sound ever, after just shooting the tennis ball again, "I can do that!" from a 10 year old. Then watching him work hard at it and not giving up. Sweet!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©