3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For the older bowhunter that uses a walking stick in the woods.  (Read 1301 times)

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
For some of us, we just aren't as stable walking as we used to be. So getting around the woods can be a challenge. I started off with wooden staffs or even bamboo but I always ended up having to deal with them when I got to my stand. Then one day at a yard sale, I found a used monopod that extended out to about 5 feet or more. Now I have used the flimsy shooting sticks before but this thing was kind of heavy duty and yet very light. Turned out to be a camera monopod, they sell them at Walmart for around $15. They collapse down to about twenty inches and brother they are made strong. I went to the local hardware store and bought a rubber tip for a dollar or less. Because they are adjustable, you can use it as short as you want it or as tall as you want it. Anything that keeps me from falling so badly as I bowhunt is a plus for me. Heck, they would be great for walking at a range or 3D shoot. And yes, I test mine out a lot, have two of them.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: For the older bowhunter that uses a walking stick in the woods.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 02:59:24 PM »
Good tip.  I've been using home made walking sticks for years, particularly in the mountains and/or when packing my camp or a critter. I've never found it to be terribly unwieldy, but a collapsable stick would be nice.  Treking poles do the same thing, of course, but the monopod you discovered seems a lot cheaper. 

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 08:54:07 AM »
Ive been using hiking sticks for years, due to bad knees, I’ve tried trekking poles but find them to fragile for some of my use, so I usually use a beaver cut stick or lately a Osage stick a selfbow Buddy made me, but a collapsible piece like that might be the ticket
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 09:14:20 AM »
I find the trekking poles work fine for me.
Keep em Sharp!

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 10:15:44 AM »
For general walking, hiking, scouting I like a hockey stick shaft. Super strong, usually you can get them free. Great for parting blackberry bushes while you pick, moving a mushroom aside to check it, leaning on, etc.
Years back when I was recovering from being sick I went from a walker to a hiking pole. It had a ski pole type bottom and was stable. Super light and foldable. When I got to tree I’d tie it to climber base and it just hung there while I hunted.
Still 9/10 I’m still using a hockey stick shaft. Perfect height, super strong and light
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 10:17:22 AM »
Ive been using hiking sticks for years, due to bad knees, I’ve tried trekking poles but find them to fragile for some of my use, so I usually use a beaver cut stick or lately a Osage stick a selfbow Buddy made me, but a collapsible piece like that might be the ticket

Dave try the hockey stick shaft if you need strength
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 10:42:51 AM »
I have two trek poles with heavy loads I also use my spotting scope tripod to.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
I don't use a walking stick of any kind when hunting, but I probably should. I have stumbled a few times in the dark and was forced to lean on my bow to regain my balance. Fortunately, it was not damaged. This thread is a pretty good reminder that I am older and don't get around as well as I used to do. I do have a walking staff, so perhaps it is time to start using it.
Sam

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 03:15:48 PM »
To use a walking stick, cane or whatever? unfortunately for some of us, it can become an instant regret because we didn't. Most of the time, anything at all can keep us from going down. My father (85), is finally having to accept the fact that even in the house he needs something. Me, the moment I get off the porch, I have something anymore.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 04:40:20 PM »
I used to hunt a piece of woods that was a corner pocket they bedded in there and i used 2 walking sticks to simulate 4 legs walking in,,,, it works for urban deer!  I stopped spooking them out across the road and they just stayed bedded in the briars where they couldnt really see me anyway...  just don't try it during gun season and really only if you know there isn't anyone else there.
"Us vs Them"

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 07:24:06 PM »
I had knee replacement surgery on my right knee in May 2020.  I did well with it until late 2021.  Then took a long step down and my right knee has been bothering me ever since.  I'll have to use a long walking stick this hunting season.  I might even have to sneak my walker out of the closet and use it!   :saywhat: :scared:
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Tomas Stieber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 09:35:30 PM »
I cut a Popple stick last weekend for a 3D shoot at Menomonie Wi. It came in very handy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©