3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Riverwolf perspective.........  (Read 1668 times)

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
Riverwolf perspective.........
« on: July 24, 2022, 12:13:21 PM »
..........The end to another gifted season 2021-2022....
Lots of trials & tribulations along the path as many  of you face much the same, yet...we find a way....a way to enjoy what we do have , and make the best of it.......

My deer season trickled  away , and sightings dried....letting a sadness take hold .Not for lack of meat , for I was gifted a fine doe early on , and buck opportunities I chose not to act upon for one reason or another....Sadness for the passing of a season to mingle with  the trees, birds , water, wilderness, NATURE  as meant to be . As  a participant..

At no other time,  (other than remote wilderness excursions;) do I feel  so connected ...whole...complete.
Slowly that wall we allowed to be built starts to fall with each passing moment spent as a participant . Part of....

By seasons end , IF one spends enough time afield ...we have reinstalled , rebooted some of those ancient callings. Thus the sadness of its loss.

..."One has options". opportunities to keep the feet wet till the soul can follow...
Small game...fishing...roving....hikes.bikes  and slow things;)

On this day last seaon  I took back some of what was  taken....speaking not just of meat, but  The Calling .....to chase, live , learn with adventure & balance on hand .

To the Hunt>>>-------->

.....With a belly of breakfast and warm air to swirl hope , I load my quiver with cedar of old and some steel from a deal ....  longbow in hand.

With spring-like warmth comes wind ~~~~and come it does.
Steady near 20 mph gusting  winds . Knowing deer , rabbits , squirrels dislike such and do what they must to neutralize its effects  seeking shelter in valleys and bottoms of steeps . Where they can hear of danger and often see its approach.

"The Plan"--  Set like the dog and pan of a trap. With it  hope  to be sprung. ....PUSH these lowland rabbits to the fringe where the arrow has a chance to fly true.Least that is the measure of thought......simple enough...in thought.

So off I go , bow in hand with the odds teetered strongly in favor of the briar racers. Keen of sight , ear, and reaction, with blinding speed they race lanes of prickly course man nor beast dare travel. less there be blood letting.........So the fringes I walk.

Slowly watching far and near for sign, movement, life...Off runs a rabbit some 20 yards ahead. After a short distance , PAUSE. Hope... "not" due to distance and path , but a sign one who chases rabbits likes to see...pause;)So My plan seems to be well played . On with my hunt.....

As I myself pause mid hunt in a clearing amidst the tangle , I take a few pictures to capture some of the hunting....little did I know , not 20 yards ahead in hiding is the quarry .

.. I ready to continue and take just a few steps , my eyes catch his short "repositioning" not 18 yards ahead .
Unlikely to weave an arrow through , but less likely to close the distance on a ready to bolt briar racer....I choose to send a blunt tipped arrow which proceeds to deflect and just miss the rabbit....Due to the quietness of the bow , lack of chase ,  .... The rabbit chooses to move ahead "tensely" another 3-4 yards and stops....Again, thick, dense and ready for the rabbit races. I grab  a broadhead tipped arrow , focus on the kill zone and loose.....again,deflected! 
Clean miss, but with this close call , Mr. Rabbit thinks it wise to move along  rather quickly ....Hunter smiled in agreement. "To bathe in balance and participation"....

I gather my projectiles  and relish the moment , with great anticipation I follow the direction of travel on my planned path.

As I approach the low of the next bit of rabbit habitat  I "almost" pass  without a thorough look...At about 12 yards in I see the broken outline of a rabbit facing away in that ready pose they take before becoming nature's blur of fur.....
I slowly grab an arrow from my quiver and ready on string watching the rabbit for signs of movement....I choose a clear  course to the vitals. Calm myself , draw , focus , and loose~~~~~This shaft flies true without interruption passing through the rabbit and exiting some 7-8 yards past. The rabbit never takes a step and lies where moments earlier he sat. 

Swift , clean , quick without suffering .....This be what the bowhunter aims for ......
Let us  find a way to enjoy what we can in this crazy world of the day....Chase the simple pleasures we still can freely.
Let not the clouds take our Sun. Step out and become one with Nature as we were meant to be.

To quote a wise Ol'  Bear....."It will cleanse your soul" .

Thank you for coming along......

sincerely,

Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>------------------------->
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 07:57:40 AM by RIVERWOLF »
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Riverwolf perspective.........
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 12:23:27 PM »
Thanks, Tradgang needs more of this.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 12:47:14 PM »
Thank you Terry .

I much enjoy sharing   adventures , perspectives of bowhunting. It's why I come to the campfire ;)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 02:11:21 PM by RIVERWOLF »
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 02:56:35 PM »
Nicely done! I hear ya.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 03:10:35 PM »
Nice job, well said and laid out. pics were nice too. love the quiver, I will have to make one sometime. While not a big buck, still very much a trophy in the true sense of it. Heck, a rabbit isn't much to some but I'm very sure that a whole lot of people out there have never got a rabbit with a bow. I do miss the rabbit hunts in the tangles. You brought back some great memories. Didn't always have snow but loved it. My grandfather taught me how to look for the black eye in everything, especially underbrush.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 04:29:04 PM »
This —— 100%

The world needs more of this in every way

Thanks
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 04:49:24 PM »
Well done, and much needed… :goldtooth: :notworthy: :campfire:

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 06:13:14 PM »
Really well done, Ralph!  I wish I could write that well.  Hope you will take us along on another hunt soon.
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 07:04:52 PM »
Thanks, it gives me something to dream about.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 08:01:42 PM »
Ralph good to see you posting buddy!  Thanks for the take along brother…
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 12:57:11 AM »
I enjoyed that. :thumbsup:
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 04:10:35 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the kind words .....
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 10:00:07 AM »
Amen Ralph!

I spent yesterday going through gear and organizing for this fall. Can’t wait !!
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 11:02:42 AM »
Ralph, I always enjoy your posts and our conversations through messages or via email.

I've told you before that you have a gift for expressing what many of us feel but can't put into words as eloquently as you can.

Thanks for sharing with us and please continue to do so. It makes me happy to see someone using their given talents.   :campfire:

Take care my friend! -Jim

Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 11:08:57 AM »
Thanks for the post!  You truly have a gift of putting words on paper that touch the heart and soul of traditional hunters.  We need more of this! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 11:29:16 AM »
Thank you gents ....  It's nice setting a  :campfire: with folks that actually walk the talk . Breath of fresh air !

When I can not be out doing...I doodle (A LOT;) of things that have been or visualization of things yet to be....a type of spiritual meditation ;)

Best to everyone with the time and places we "do have" & finding a way to fully enjoy them......
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 05:45:21 PM »
NICE!
Been along time since I've had fresh wild rabbit. Very tasty animals.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 06:05:10 PM »
Thank you for sharing, my friend. That made my day. Jawge

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2022, 11:01:32 PM »
You, sir, have a way with words. Looking forward to more like these...

What make of bow are you shooting?
Aim small,miss small

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2022, 08:42:01 AM »
Thank you Capt.....The bow is a Montana Longbow....One of two that most often walk with me. An odd moment when I carry any other .This  Brown Montana is of another color I call "Rose" ;)

The Bear Montana's are of my  standard equipment for those that know.....I've done the drift with choice , options ,and owned many a longbow . The charismetic charisma of the mild R  design & mild R/D with slight locator match me the best. The Montana has all that  for me and more.... .
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©