3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Bobcat  (Read 750 times)

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
The Bobcat
« on: July 27, 2022, 03:03:23 PM »
I hadn't been married too many years and my wife knew that I loved to hunt, especially bow hunt. So it was preseason and she tagged along as I checked out a new area not far from where we living then. I found a decent looking spot, a mixture of hardwood, pines and thicket. This would be where I planned to use my first pop up blind and not actually be in a tree. So one Saturday morning, before daylight, the wife and I slipped into this area to sit on the ground. Now my wife was and is mostly, like the energizer bunny and is go go go. Which means that she wasn't used to sitting still very long.                                                         
         In the dark, we made our way to a semi open area that I hoped would have some scrapes and rubs soon. I found a big blown down black oak and in the dark, settled in backed up against the roots. My wife sat down and was wedged up tight between my legs where I could whisper to her from behind her head.                                                     
         We were decked out in camo, from head to toe, with masks on to keep the bugs at bay. I had gone over and over about how still we had to be for several days and kept reminding her. So we sat in the dark, in the woods, on the ground, something that she had never ever done in her life. I kept whispering to her about watching the sun come up and what birds she would hear first and so on.                                                                   
          As the sky began to lighten up, the stars were gone and there was a slight chill in the air. Now she is a Yankee from New Hampshire but she had turned into a creampuff the last several years and was shivering a little bit. Sure enough, the birds did their thing for a few minutes as they flitted here and there before getting quiet. She could see the changing colors of the eastern sky thru the trees and loved it. I kept whispering to her that a deer could just materialize out in front of us and to be very still.                                                                       
            So as a squirrel made the usual racket as it came down a pine, the woods slowly began to come to life. We could hear the crows in several directions as well as a dog barking way off. then the chipmunks came out just feet from us and began chewing us out. She didn't know what was making the racket so I explained to her and she finally spotted one. Finally they shut up and moved on.                                                                   
           Then as we sat there, I realized that there was some movement off to the far right. I slowly made out the ears and head of a bobcat. So I whisper for her to stay very still and not to move or make a sound, there was a bobcat to our right probably looking for the chipmunks.                                                                                                             
          Now I had gone over and over about not turning your head but your eyes only and reminded her once again. Moments later, she stiffened up some as she finally spotted it. The beautiful cat slowly moved right in front of us, maybe four feet away and stopped, it even sat down at it checked everywhere for the chipmunks. To her, it seemed like forever and yet it was over too quickly as it suddenly moved a little ways and then was gone. Later, that was all she could talk about and still remembers it to this day. Yeah, it was nature at its best. 

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Bobcat
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 03:24:54 PM »
I was afraid that I had taken too long and would time out. anyways, my wife was breathing very hard after the bobcat had moved out of sight. When we finally left, that was all that she could talk about, she had never seen one in the wild before much less mere feet away. She also did very well that time about not moving or at least moving super slow. She was amazed at how stealthy it was and how it listened so carefully to ever sound and its eyes catching every movement. From that point on, she understood how important sound and movement was in the woods.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 03:31:21 PM »
I was afraid that I had taken too long and would time out. anyways, my wife was breathing very hard after the bobcat had moved out of sight. When we finally left, that was all that she could talk about, she had never seen one in the wild before much less mere feet away. She also did very well that time about not moving or at least moving super slow. She was amazed at how stealthy it was and how it listened so carefully to ever sound and its eyes catching every movement. From that point on, she understood how important sound and movement was in the woods.

Does she hunt with you now, Jerry?
Aim small,miss small

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 04:33:15 PM »
oh she hunts, just not with her bow. she never hunted before she met me and has taken about a dozen deer so far, some with a muzzle loader and the rest with her 243. she has carried a crossbow but only when she is in a pop up blind to hide her movements. She wants to kill a deer with her longbow but she never practices enough, too many irons in the fire. She loves the outdoors and is the one to wake me up to see if we are going. And yes, she has dragged probably 20 deer out, field dressed at least ten and has even done all of the processing a couple of times. She gets in a hurry sometimes but says that she makes up for it in tenacity. And she is a blood trailing fool, totally loves it and gets excited to come help me trail one. She hunts by herself now, but I am usually within half a mile of her.   

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 05:05:30 PM »
Good to hear !!! 
Thumbs up for your wife  :thumbsup:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 05:30:38 PM »

That's cool!! 
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 07:44:02 PM »
Sounds like a keeper, Jerry!
Aim small,miss small

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 08:24:43 PM »
Awesome time together!

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 09:27:45 PM »
Teaching what nature is really about, close up and personal. instilling the desire to see and learn more. To enjoy it so much that they can't wait to get back into the woods

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©