3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Water Oak 7 point  (Read 835 times)

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
The Water Oak 7 point
« on: July 28, 2022, 09:13:13 AM »
On this particular hunt, my son-n-law was supposed to meet me before daylight to go hunt in Muddy Creek Wildlife Management Area. But, vehicle problems caused a delay and we had to take of them first. So it was a late start and we stopped at a gas station and grabbed some quick food. He and I had spotted the tops of some water oaks way back behind a turn a round at the end of a long dirt road. I meant to bow hunt them this morning, having never been there before. I dropped him off at the spot he wanted to hunt and I drove over to my spot. Hardwoods were getting harder and harder to find because they were being cut out and replaced with pine which was more profitable.                                                                 
          So I got out and loaded down with everything, the Ole Man climber, my back pack and my bow. It took a minute to figure out a way thru the thick grown up mess to get thru to where the hardwoods were. It was actually fairly open in the water oak flat, just briars and some huckleberries. I quickly scanned the area and picked a straight tall water oak to climb and hurried over to it. This tree was about in the middle of a fifty yard wide and probably 100 yard long stretch of water oaks.                                                               
          As I made my way over to it, I could see the very small acorns here and there scattered on the ground. I knew that the deer loved them so that was a good sign. I quickly set up my climber and was soon climbing up. I had checked the wind and was facing into the wind as I reached a big limb and stopped. I always tried to get 20 feet or higher on new trees and was around 24 feet high.                                                           
           I was and still am a fairly big guy and I wanted to get up where my scent might be hid better. I hurried to get my pack attached to the tree and my quiver hanging where it was easy to reach an arrow. I  had already cut an over hanging limb to hold my bow on and so I nocked an arrow and hung it.                                                                         
           As I finally relaxed and sat down, my stomach gave a deep rumble as it suddenly felt like it wasn't too happy. Now I was really hoping that it was just gas from the fried fast food and the walking/climbing. I cautiously stood hope and luckily it was just gas but boy it was some terrible gas. I immediately thought, well, ain't nothing gonna come from behind me now and sat back down.                                                                                           
          It wasn't three minutes later as I studied the area in front of me that I heard the unmistakable pop of an acorn being eaten by a deer. I quickly glanced behind me and here was this young nice 7 point walking fairly quickly about to walk directly underneath me! I was not prepared at all and here he was about to cover some ground. I grabbed my bow and immediately stood and shot at maybe four yards.                                                     
         I instantly regretted the shot because I had not anchored good or even picked a spot. Yeah, a total miss and the buck jumped forward and started off. I immediately voice bleated and stopped it at 25 yards. I was already getting another arrow nocked and at ready as I bleated again.                                                                                           
           The buck turned and started back, Well, this time I put the Bear Razorhead light and 2117 through his chest at about 13 yards. The arrow protruded out of the buck on the off side as he took off like a scalded dog. I watched from up high as he ran to the left of my tree and back to the thick mess behind me. Then I saw him get his antlers hung up in the saw briars and thrash for a could of seconds before collapsing down dead.                   
         I smiled to myself, I had managed to right a wrong and get a second shot on the buck. I looked back at the spot where the buck had sunk down behind some huckleberries and thought that this would be a quick and easy recovery. I gathered my stuff and lowered it all down before I began the decent. I calmly positioned the stand to be flat on the ground and then covered it up, I meant to come back to this place in the morning.       
            With my back pack on my back, I grabbed my bow and quiver to go get the buck. I didn't even look for blood, I just started walking back there. But my oh my, everything sure looked a lot different on the ground. All of those huckleberries and other underbrush now made it harder to see the ground or anything else.                                                         
           I forgot how easy it is to see things from high above and did not pick a reference to walk to. After five minutes of walking all over the place, I went back to look for blood. There really wasn't much blood but I found a few drops, enough to get me going in the correct direction and find the buck finally. The arrow had kept the blood from coming out the exit hole but man it looked like a bucket full on the ground around him.                 
             That water oak flat was my all time favorite place to bow hunt until a really bad ice storm broke most of the limbs and even the trees down. But I learned several lessons that day. Took several deer from in there until they gated the road off about a mile and a half away. I took that buck about 10:30 in the morning after a very late start, one of several deer taken at mid day or later.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Water Oak 7 point
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 10:00:34 AM »
Jerry, you have a talent for telling a story. I'm enjoying them alot... Thank you.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 10:05:23 AM »
Fun read and great story, gives new meaning to scent control  :biglaugh:

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 10:25:55 AM »
Perhaps he was brought in by the first " grunt"  :saywhat: ;^))

One never knows eh ....Funny ,lifes little teachings....Many going by the story.   Being observant , taking chances , persitence/basics  in the face of a mis-step.......and  noise isn't necessaarily a deal breaker  on a hunt ;^)

Good on you for staying focused and putting it all together for a clean kill and recovery.....Thanks for taking us along.
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 01:23:45 PM »
Another winner of a story, Jerry!
Aim small,miss small

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 01:25:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing that hunt with us sir! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 06:11:20 PM »
Special spot.
Enjoyed the story sir!
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline tradslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 09:35:38 AM »
spots like that you hope to remain hidden from others but they usually get found. I have been rooted out of several places by others that were jerks. But they are or can be very special indeed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©