3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just a thought?  (Read 905 times)

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Just a thought?
« on: July 29, 2022, 04:27:28 PM »
Fellas always so many muscular issues arise. Everyone is always wanting to know what they can do at that point. My thoughts are instead of waiting on an injury why not stay ahead of it and exercise. You can work on supporting areas for shoulders, knees and back. Would we rather work out to stay good or work out to rehab something after perhaps surgery?
It’s good for us anyhow plus it’ll aid climbing a tree, walking a mountain, dragging a deer, carrying a pack, etc. Consider it.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just a thought?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 08:24:37 PM »
Spot on   :thumbsup:

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 08:39:23 PM »
I work out every day.
Outside.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 09:27:06 PM »
Preventions the best medicine!

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 07:02:41 AM »
I agree but will also add that I've paid express attention on how I mechanically execute the shot. My opinion is many are putting a great deal of stress on the shoulder simply by the method they draw the string back.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 08:08:29 AM »
I agree but will also add that I've paid express attention on how I mechanically execute the shot. My opinion is many are putting a great deal of stress on the shoulder simply by the method they draw the string back.

That’s a very good point. I always say bone on bone shooting and drawing back by pushing elbow back rather than pulling w bicep is key. Another really key element is having the bow arm shoulder in its socket. If fellas would learn those there’d be less injury. I’m 55 years old, had surgery just 5 years ago now where I had to learn even to swallow, couldnt get a 42lb bow back 1/2 back for a long time but I’m comfortable with bows in the 60s again. A lot is mechanics. Here’s where I might differ, when someone shoots a low poundage bow they can muscle it back. That’s actually not good. You’re forced to learn with heavier poundage cause you can’t do it without good technique. Another point only for consideration is just because someone has “always done it a certain way” or they’ve been at it 40 years, doesn’t mean they can’t better themselves and learn to do things more safely to their joints. Our minds should stay open to this as well as the strengthening support muscles.
That’s what rehab often does, works the surrounding area to strengthen. We need to be ahead of that. Things will happen, yes but we can minimize it imo
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 11:00:59 AM »
Up until a couple years ago I was (75 years old) I was into the staying fit for archery mode. I also believe it keeps those injuries that are blamed on archery, usually shooting heavy weight bows, to a minimum. But, heart issues have had me slow down my routine and it seems harder to make a comeback after a forced layoff. That and a syacita nerve that has me in pain and limits my walking, standing. But I can still shoot my 55# LB if I want. Although 45#’s is like 70#’s was at 60 years of age, easier.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 04:50:55 PM »
 Bowguy, the only problem with your premise is that, no matter how right you are and no matter how old we get, in our own minds, we are still all 18 years old. Therefore, we are still invincible, right? How I wish I had realized a long time ago that "training" for archery should include more than just shooting the bow. Even now, I must admit, I don't train like I should, but your thought is a good one.
Sam

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 05:47:23 PM »
Bowguy you bring up a great point about the difference in what you can get away with, with a lower weight bow vs a heavier bow. I might be completely off my meds here but I have noticed over the last years the influx of what
I call Olympic/target shooting form being carried over to Trad hunting. For myself the logic that a form used with lower weight bows and shooting static targets does not translate equally to bowhunting game and the poundage we generally use. Do Target shooters use 55+ bows ? I don't think so, so how do I apply that methodology to my hunting rig? I believe it adds to the injury problem because guys are trying to shoot like target archers with +pound bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©