3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are we "over thinking" it....??  (Read 9663 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are we "over thinking" it....??
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2023, 10:41:38 AM »
The author of the video that TSP posted has evidently honed his form to the point that he can concentrate all of his attention on the most important aspect of the shot to him, which being an instinctive shooter, is the spot he wants to hit.  This is something that we all aspire to do: master the mechanics of the shot to the point that we can forget about them and focus on the one thing that is most important to us.  In the case of Joel Turner, who is a gap shooter, the most important aspect of the shot is the tiny movement that activates the trigger. For someone else, it may be expansion to conclusion.  All can be as successful as the author of TSP's video, with different methods of getting there.

For a person who wants to simplify the shot, he still manages in the course of the video to discuss about a dozen things that can go wrong with it, and I have no doubt that he could come up with a dozen more if he thought about it.  These are probably all things that he has done himself, and overcome in the course of becoming an expert.

I would imagine if he were teaching someone and that person wanted to know why his arrows are going all over the place, he would not say “just focus on the spot and it will all come together in time.”  He obviously knows what he is doing, and he would say “you need to have a consistent anchor,” “keep your head still,” or whatever else he sees is going on.  And I’m sure he would follow it up with “Once you practice these things long enough, you should be able to do them without thinking about it.”

That's all that good form is, really, no matter who is teaching it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2023, 11:06:58 AM »
I've watched some of his videos,but this was a good one for sure. He hits on things and puts them into words better than I can. He's right about the two things it can be most of the time. I pluck or move my bow. I think most of the time it's a pluck and that can't help but move your bow arm. Another thing he brought up that I have a big problem with is letting go of the string. I'm taller than my dad and plenty strong,but don't have really strong hands and wrist. He has much stronger hands than I do and can pick a bow up and do pretty well never having shot,and I think it's something to do with the fact that he's that strong in that area.

I've starting working out more and it's helping. It's the only thing I can think of to help this sort of thing.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2023, 11:44:07 AM »
Depends on how your wire and how easy your swayed by a conversion. I been bare shaft tuning for over 30 years with both trad bow and compounds I am a thinker so I like to change things up but I also no when to quit and go back to what works. I see so much BS about how folks should and should not shoot and if you don't shoot their way you have TP or if your bow is not made with a CNC than it's the bowsyer fault. There are so many variables and so many rabbit holes to go down that sometimes we for get just to have fun shooting our bows. I do more stump shooting these days than target or 3Ds. I have lean and continue to learn a lot from a lot of folk here on Trad Gang.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2023, 11:19:54 AM »

Here's an experienced fellow that is a successful instinctive hunter, a very good shot, and who explains and demonstrates very effectively the importance of not 'overthinking' the shot. 

First and foremost, above all else, establish and practice one's focus on the spot.  Without the need to think about how you do it. 

Second, don't allow the intricacies of adopting complicated form be your downfall.  No matter how well you 'think' you have your long list of form components figured out during practice it won't translate well to the field, where scripting of a mental form checklist makes little sense and is largely impractical for shooting under pressures of the moment.

To put it simply, keep it simple.  It'll save you a truckload of headaches in the woods. 

Just a steady bow arm and a good release. Is that all?  Even Jason couldn't let it go at that and had to elaborate on it for about 15 minutes...after decades of working out the bugs.

I agree though...if you have a steady bow arm and a good release you don't need to worry about anything but "the spot". If  you don't have that steady bow arm and good release your path to being able to hit "the spot" with any regularity may be a little more complicated. John Shultz  recommended practicing form in front of a blank bale...without a spot to concentrate on.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2023, 02:50:18 PM »
John Shultz recommended practicing without a 'spot' but when he said that he was referring to building form.  Before practicing his shot (i.e., before applying his form) he said that one should 'burn a hole' in the spot in order to hit it.  Hill said the same thing.  Kinda' makes sense, seeing as they were lifelong practitioners of an approach that was the poster child for keeping it simple while also being effective.  So basically you first concentrate on the spot, then apply form, then execute the shot.  In that order. 

I think Jason's point is that if you avoid the pitfalls of adopting a complicated form set and keep it simple from the get-go you will probably have more success, fewer disappointments and will almost certainly enjoy the process much more than if you fight your way through it with applied trigonometry and mental checklists.  He has found that not overthinking it is the best way.  Hard to argue with that, IMO.     

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2023, 08:50:22 AM »
Actor Brendan Fraser, a beginning archer and excellent actor, gets it.  Keep it simple, enjoy the experience and don't get into a panty twist re exact form or 'aiming'.  Maybe a few of you Louisiana boys helped him out along his path.  BTW, check him out in the movie 9The Whale'.  Awesome performance.

If you're out there Brendan... :archer: 

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2023, 09:24:26 AM »
John Shultz recommended practicing without a 'spot' but when he said that he was referring to building form.  Before practicing his shot (i.e., before applying his form) he said that one should 'burn a hole' in the spot in order to hit it.  Hill said the same thing.  Kinda' makes sense, seeing as they were lifelong practitioners of an approach that was the poster child for keeping it simple while also being effective.  So basically you first concentrate on the spot, then apply form, then execute the shot.  In that order.

Point being that the "form" is a requirement" and, for many of us, it doesn't happen by accident.

I think Jason's point is that if you avoid the pitfalls of adopting a complicated form set and keep it simple from the get-go you will probably have more success, fewer disappointments and will almost certainly enjoy the process much more than if you fight your way through it with applied trigonometry and mental checklists.  He has found that not overthinking it is the best way.  Hard to argue with that, IMO.   

I'd caution against taking Jason's struggles with his own shooting issues as some sort of lesson in the best way to shoot. He repeatedly talks about the need for a steady bow arm and a good release. We could make a great case that both start with and stem from good alignment. It's tough to argue against physics. If alignment is good the bow arm doesn't have any reason to move. If alignment is poor, you aren't going to stop it from moving. Watch his release in his latest shooting video.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2023, 11:19:57 AM »
There is a chapter by Howard Hill where he refers to a fellow archer who despite trying departed the mortal realm still a bit off in his execution!

I have started to believe in the process with the shot hitting the target as a consequence of perfect form. Self analysis is a must for improvement and I am not decrying anyone’s “process”.
Have fun and keep plugging!
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2023, 02:36:21 PM »
You either have proper form and alignment  or not, .... same as a woman is either pregnant or not.  It's best to get the propers on the bale and not in the field.

If you have proper alignment then all you do is focus on the spot.  Sometimes I don't even remember drawing the bow, or if the animal is walking or not. (as in the other thread started).  I also start aiming way before I draw the bow. 

As with any other athletic maneuver, its best to have the basics down for best performance.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2023, 05:12:14 PM »
Love wood, hate carbon. Out of a LB anyway. If you are super worried about making crappy shots don’t shoot Trad. You most certainly will if you’re actually shooting at game. Keep it close, do your best. Tough love. But anyone shooting a bow misses, kills, and wounds. I don’t care what kind of bow. If you can’t stand that thought maybe bow hunting isn’t for you. I watch the “pros” do all the same.  All you can do is control the very best you can.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2023, 05:42:05 PM »
Overspined, that goes for gunpowder as well. 

And if ya don't want to have a wreck, don't drive. I sure hope to be the best driver I can so I won't wreck. :campfire:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2023, 09:17:34 AM »
This has been a good thread, thanks to the OP for posting his initial question and to the mods for working with the topic fairly.  But I guess we've final overthunk whether we're overthinking.  The definative answer (after 6 pages, lol) is probably.

Don't overthink but at the same time don't forget about what's MOST important along the way.  Peace to all.   

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2023, 08:36:59 PM »
Wow!!! Woodchucker's Wondering sure went far!!!

Many thanks to all!!!!  :notworthy:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2023, 09:17:38 PM »
Maybe I’m one of the weird ones, but I kinda enjoy overthinking every aspect of all of this trad stuff, from bare shaft tuning, broadhead sharpening, string building, and now, bow building and everything that goes into all of this. I guess that’s what keeps the fire burning. “Have fun with it and don’t let it become work”
caught between:If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and can’t leave well enough alone.

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2023, 10:39:32 AM »
Maybe I’m one of the weird ones, but I kinda enjoy overthinking every aspect of all of this trad stuff, from bare shaft tuning, broadhead sharpening, string building, and now, bow building and everything that goes into all of this. I guess that’s what keeps the fire burning. “Have fun with it and don’t let it become work”

I think that addresses the 'overthinking' issue well. The question becomes "overthinking to whom?" I ENJOY being an overthinker. Some folks approach a traditional journey with the precision of thought that mirrors that of a butchers meat clever; while others of us enjoy the greater precision approach of a surgeon's scalpel. Both instruments cut meat. To each his own. Whatever makes you happy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 10:59:24 AM by Stringwacker »
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2023, 04:45:45 PM »
Grip it... and rip it... and get er done... :biglaugh:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2023, 06:20:36 PM »
I'm a gun slinger with a hatchet scalpeI, I don't over think, I kill shitt. Others play make believe..

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2023, 09:14:24 PM »
Well said Terry.
I usually stay off these kinds of threads, but I always say, if you don't shoot with your head, you wont have target panic.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2023, 08:33:59 AM »
A short answer to the original question.....BOTH

I think we do over think things a bit, at least I do. One of my other hobbies is firearms, and I get obsessed with a rifle/scope/ammo combination. It carries over to archery for sure.

I do think it is wise to take advantage of all the precision we have available to us, and to make sure our bow/arrow combinations are capable of as close to perfection as we can. A notion...again carried over from rifles....if we can create something that holds a 1/2 inch group when a 4 inch group is all we need, then that slop belongs to us, not the weapon. WE get to take advantage of the room for error.

That said, I think we should chill on the weights and measures a bit and focus on form and practice.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2023, 10:24:12 AM »
A short answer ....

That said, I think we should chill on the weights and measures a bit and focus on form and practice.

HELLO!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©