3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A bumpy journey  (Read 800 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A bumpy journey
« on: August 19, 2022, 12:40:52 PM »
My story is probably like a large number of folks here. Not growing up in a hunting family, I learned by trial and error with great emphasis on error. Even though I had been familiar with the bow, like so many young guys, I got all wrapped up in the boom of the rifle. I just had to have a cabinet full of them. Still, it took a while before I started killing deer with any regularity.

It was during this time that I became a hunter. I studied and read all kinds of material on hunting the whitetail deer. However, it took a while before I started to see success. However, I didn't forget the bow altogether. I bought a Ben Pearson recurve in 1969 on sale at K-Mart. I bet a lot of you guys don't remember K-Mart, but it was my go-to store for "hunting stuff".

Finally, after many failures, things picked up. Even though I shot and cleanly missed 7 times that morning, I was still pumped. I slipped out of the woods and went back to town to get more arrows. I returned to the same location. After a while, a buck came along and offered a shot. A HIT! Man, was I excited. After twenty minutes or so I checked for blood but didn't find any. Luckily, I had thorough knowledge of the land, so I had a pretty good idea where he was likely to go. After about 80 yards, I found him. He was beautiful! He had 10 points and an even rack. At that moment I felt neither Howard Hill nor Robin Hood had anything on me.

Looking back on it all, I did a lot of things all wrong. One, I really wasn't that good an archer. Luckily, I'm a little better shot now. Second, I didn't know much about fine tuning my equipment. I had found some arrows that shot pretty well from my bow, so that is what I would always ask for. I still have that arrow from that kill. What capped this off more than anything else was that this was the first deer I ever killed.

I stilled used the rifle a lot in the gun season, but occasionally used the bow. Eventually, I acquired a longbow from Archery Traditions. It was the Bamboo Long Hunter model. It changed my hunting life. After archery season ended, I decided that I was having so much fun, I would stay with the bow into the gun season. After all, if I grew tired of the bow, my rifles were always available. That was over 30 years ago, and I am still shooting only the longbow. Now, I shoot Hill style bows.

I don't claim to be a great hunter or a fantastic archer, but I am proud that I have never stuck a deer that was not retrieved. While I have never bow killed many deer, it has been fun. Over 100 deer have been 15 yards or closer, but I just decided not to drop the string. Sometimes it is more satisfying just to watch. Yearlings and bucks seem to be come in closer than the old wise does. In my opinion, if you can consistently fool the older girls, you are a master deer hunter.

I have relayed this story before, but hopefully, some beginning bowhunters who may be a bit discouraged at not being successful yet will read it and realize that perseverance will pay off. Keep on practicing, and keep on hunting.
Sam

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A bumpy journey
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 03:42:35 PM »
Good thoughts! You hear a lot of talk about the 'journey'; but only those who have labored down the traditional path truly understand it
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 10:23:53 AM »
Cool story Sam, really cool.  Dan Quillian ran with the man that taught me to shoot when I was 8 years old.... he also had hunted the bottomlands of Wilm and Mourice great stuff.

This us the 2nd time you've made me bring thise brothers up and I believe they need to be in the Legends and Pioneers Forum...

Let me work on that...
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 06:20:14 PM »
Cool story and I do remember Kmart. LOL

I know what it's like to be self taught too. My father was a small game gun hunter so that got me started but I've always been alone in non-compound archery.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 09:57:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing your "beginnings" Sam.  It brought back memories for me.  My go to store back in the late 60's early 70's was a Gibsons.  I was lucky enough to go to the University of Georgia in Athens starting in 1971 and was lucky enough to stumble across Dan Quillian and some of his buddies. They greatly sped up my learning curve!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 07:16:43 PM »
Sam, good stuff  :notworthy: :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 09:42:24 PM »
Kmart hasn't been gone that long!!!  Good story.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 01:14:14 PM »
I love hearing stories like this.... It's extremely hard to go back to a fire arm or even a compound bow after experiencing traditional archery hunting to its fullest.

Although i do confess to picking up an old cap and ball smoke pole to go hunt with from time to time. It has its traditional merits too.

Thanks again for sharing your story.     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©