3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who will be saddle hunting this year?  (Read 4922 times)

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Who will be saddle hunting this year?
« on: August 21, 2022, 05:16:46 PM »
I'll be on my third year hanging in a tree with my Tethrd Menance. I've learned a few things and really do like the versatility. There's an obvious challenge using a trad bow vs wheels-- not exactly 33" axle-to-axle, right?
Give us your set up...

Tethrd Menace
Hawk sticks with climbing aides
Tethrd Predator platform
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who will be saddle hunting this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 05:44:08 PM »
I too will be on my third year with saddle hunting. It’s not my only option but I’ve really enjoyed the mobility and I’ve been very successful with it. 2020 doe & buck, and 2021 buck out of the saddle… Both of the bucks were on all day sits :saywhat:

Tetherd Phantom
Hawks Sticks
Tetherd Predator XL Platform

:campfire:

Bisch

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 05:59:08 PM »
Not me!!!! I’ve watched one guy hunt in a saddle, and nothing he did look comfortable or appealing to me.

Good luck to all you guys!!!

Bisch

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 06:35:02 PM »
I’m stuck the my ladders and brush blinds- but good luck like Bisch said.
Tim B

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 08:58:28 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is that you can also use the saddle as a safety harness even if in a lock-on or in a ladder stand. I think it works great with the cheap ladder stands that have simple integrated metal seat and platform. I’ve stepped up and used the top seat as a platform or lowered my tether to use the main platform, or swivel and sit/stand traditionally for awhile… Very flexible shooting opportunities. Not for everyone or every scenario… :campfire:

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 09:41:56 AM »
I'm a saddle hunter.  Been doing it since about '05.  My lower back can give me issues after long spells of sitting so a saddle really helps.  I use a Treehopper Recon or a Dryad Drey.  This will be my first year with the Drey.  I expect it to have much more support for longer sits.

To climb, I use four mini sticks, two with aiders and/or bolts if I'm predrilling.  I've been using a platform the last two years as well instead of a ring of steps.  Last year was a Lone Wolf which was awesome, but bulky.  This year I'm trying a Predator.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 12:56:35 PM by kbetts »
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 12:43:19 PM »
Third year of saddling hunting for me this year as well. I prefer it over setting stands .. by far.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Whiteoak63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 01:41:18 PM »
I will be. I agree it can be a challenge to shoot a traditional bow out of a saddle but I find it a lot more comfortable.
It also opens up a lot of options with tree selection.
Cruzer XC
56” Black Widow PCH-X 49# @ 27
58” Toelke Whistler 46# @ 27
Pearson Hunter 45# @ 28
1974 Bear Grizzly 46#@ 28
1969 Bear Kodiak Magnum 40# @ 28
Hunting in Gods Country.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 01:52:10 PM »
I will be. I agree it can be a challenge to shoot a traditional bow out of a saddle but I find it a lot more comfortable.
Cruzer XC

I find it easier, actually.  The tension on my tether makes me feel "locked" in position.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Judd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 02:11:48 PM »
This will be my 36th year in a "saddle"
Currently using a JX3 and all my earlier models were homemade/purchased JX3 style saddles.
Come to the light, the JX3 tree saddle light..............
Don't be afraid, you will sit from dark to dark very comfortably, no fidgeting,  be able to snooze when you want, no dreaded hip pinch, no back aches, you can shoot 360° around  the tree with any weapon, bow or gun.
No platform required, only a ROS, no sore feet, no knee pads required, no sore knees, no tired legs from leaning as you can sit all day, built in pack frame for carrying all your needs. No getting into “saddle shape”  as your Lazy Boy at home does it for you.                                                                                                                                                             Buy once, cry once.
Come to the light, the JX3 light...........

Offline Whiteoak63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 03:13:36 PM »
Cruzer XC
I find it easier, actually.  The tension on my tether makes me feel "locked" in position.

It took me a little practice learning how to maneuver into positions for shots. I shoot with a cant and that is a little different that shooting more vertical.

Let me say I find the saddle much more comfortable that any other stand. The first thing anyone asks me is, does that not hurt your back?  It is the opposite, saddles have helped my back pain and allowed me longer hunts.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 03:19:30 PM by Whiteoak63 »
Pearson Hunter 45# @ 28
Hunting in Gods Country.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 09:51:52 PM »
Do y'all do knee pads? I use a foam pad that I will also take and place on hang-on or ladder stand seats. I tie to my tether rope at the height I need to "sit" with my knees against the tree using the saddle.
I do really like going into a new area, check the wind, find a tree, and up I go. I'll be heading to some new public ground this year and it will be saddle all the way!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AHZz8xH4n7m4s2u56
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Whiteoak63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 12:02:49 AM »
I have been using a pad, but plan on trying knee pads.
Pearson Hunter 45# @ 28
Hunting in Gods Country.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 07:54:32 AM »
I use knee pads occassionaly.  I seem to use them less with a platform.  If I carry a pack, they're usually in there.  I hate putting my knees down on wet ground as it is.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 10:50:24 PM »
I have an elk hunt in 10 days and unfortunately got the China virus a week ago. My cardio is gonna be 💩 so I am taking my new saddle and hunting mainly water holes playing the thermals. Bought a new Trophyline Venatic and Mission platform. Saddle hunting is new to me but it may save me on this hunt.
Mike Davenport

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2022, 06:55:11 AM »
This will be my third year using a saddle, though I still use ladder, hang on and climbing stands too. All depends on the situation for me.
Currently I am using a Cruzr XC, 3-4 mini sticks, a Trophy Line Mission platform and a ring of steps. I find it pretty easy to shoot out of and comfortable too.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2022, 11:49:12 AM »
I've watched a couple of videos but in all off them they are compound hunters.
But apparently the saddles of the 90s were a far cry from today's set ups.  It would be interesting to see actual trad bows successfully maneuvering and shot out of them because it seems like it would take a lot of movement.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2022, 12:00:48 PM »
I've watched a couple of videos but in all off them they are compound hunters.
But apparently the saddles of the 90s were a far cry from today's set ups.  It would be interesting to see actual trad bows successfully maneuvering and shot out of them because it seems like it would take a lot of movement.

Quite the opposite if you are cognizant of setting up for the shot on your dominant side.  My bow hangs on the left side of the tree right above my left hand.  I try to keep the critters between me and the tree.  As they move to the left, I barely have to move at all.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 09:14:06 PM by kbetts »

Offline RedRidge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2022, 04:59:16 PM »
I am. I don't see myself going back to a tree stand unless i am hunting a private place with stands that are permanent/semi-permanent. For moving spots and hunting new places the saddle is the ticket in my opinion. I have the Treehopper Recon saddle and just the regular predator platform. Have tried the ring of steps, climbing sticks, SRT, and singe stick/rappel methods. I prefer the single stick and rappelling. I feel its easier to shoot closer shots in the saddle bc you can align the body better than a tree stand, which is the goal. I was hesitant to try it out, but I finally did and probably wont go back.
-Connor-
62" Fox High Sierra 48@28
Tanasi Longbow 47@28

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2022, 07:02:24 PM »
Shooting has been really effective with just a little practice on options for where the deer show up… Here’s my arrangement like KBetts. Bow hangs left side, pack on back side of tree with Quiver too.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 07:24:46 PM by KAZ »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©