3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who will be saddle hunting this year?  (Read 4920 times)

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who will be saddle hunting this year?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2022, 01:19:39 PM »
Yep since I think 82.

Offline antler chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2022, 10:42:38 AM »
Hunted in a sneaky sack, got me a transformer saddle this will be my first year in it, very comfortable 

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2022, 11:08:20 AM »
I will be. I agree it can be a challenge to shoot a traditional bow out of a saddle but I find it a lot more comfortable.
It also opens up a lot of options with tree selection.
Cruzer XC
I find it easier, actually.  The tension on my tether makes me feel "locked" in position.

It took me a little practice learning how to maneuver into positions for shots. I shoot with a cant and that is a little different that shooting more vertical.

Let me say I find the saddle much more comfortable that any other stand. The first thing anyone asks me is, does that not hurt your back?  It is the opposite, saddles have helped my back pain and allowed me longer hunts.

This is the main question I have concerning saddles...I have a minor lower back issue that shows up when I'm sitting on a seat that bottoms out.
I suspect a Milenium type seat would work fine.
I like the idea of a saddle, being able to travel lighter  on my long walks in.
Also, I shoot with a can't so I'm not sure how that will work out. I've hunted mostly on the ground but I like the idea of a saddle.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2022, 03:39:44 PM »
I can't speak to the back pain. What I have found, is that the height of my tether is what is important regarding my ability to lean at my waist, cant the bow a little bit, and draw without hitting my bridge with my elbow. In other words, my tether can't be too high, or the angle of my bridge/tether is too close to my body.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2022, 05:30:47 PM »
Bronz, that makes sense.
I've watched a few videos of folks demonstrating the saddle but they were using compounds shooting vertical of course

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2022, 11:25:01 PM »
Yeah, we're not shooting 32" axle-to-axle, Amen?
I'm also working on more stable positions to shoot from. I find I might be gently moving more in the saddle and so i practice in my basement with my feet together to simulate the decreased stability and allowing my aim to float a little more.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2022, 08:38:05 AM »
I think you will find you are just as stable as on the ground. Platforms are not as stable as a ring of steps unless you add a step on each side. When I lean in to take a shot on my left my entire right shin is in contact with the tree. I’m solid at the shot.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2022, 11:14:44 AM »
Yeah, we're not shooting 32" axle-to-axle, Amen?
I'm also working on more stable positions to shoot from. I find I might be gently moving more in the saddle and so i practice in my basement with my feet together to simulate the decreased stability and allowing my aim to float a little more.

There is no decrease in stability because you are leaning against a tight tether/rope.  It's like someone is holding you up by the hips.  My feet make little difference as long as I have them in contact with something and I  can get my upper body aligned.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline James Principi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2022, 01:30:54 PM »
Third year from a saddle for me.  Cruzer XC saddle, Beast mini sticks with cable aiders - 3 get me 13 feet.  Just upgraded from Teherd Phantom to a Mission platform.  The bigger platform is a huge improvement.

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2022, 06:36:22 PM »
I think this is my 4th year hunting from a saddle.  I shot 5 deer out of the saddle last year and it is quiet and easy to maneuver and the shot angle and bow angle interference is no big deal. Shot one of my bucks on the RH side of the tree which is a tough shot for a Rh shooter but it worked out fine. I’m currently using a Tacta-saddle, Tethrd one sticks, and a tethrd predator platform (have a OOAL ridge runner as well and it’s great).  I also wear Trophyline knee pads which I think are a game changer! I put all of that in an Eberlestock x2 pack.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2022, 06:00:05 AM »
Have any of you that use a saddle used a pad wrapped around the tree instead of knee pads?

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2022, 09:25:26 AM »
Have any of you that use a saddle used a pad wrapped around the tree instead of knee pads?

That's what I do. I carry a foam pad to use against the tree for my knees, or to be placed on the seat of a hang-on stand or ladder stand. Rodents tend to take out the original padded seats, Amen?
To simplify, I usually hang the pad from the excess of my tether line, which is also my bow tow rope.

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2022, 09:58:20 AM »
I have thought about trying a saddle but am still on the fence.  Realistically once you've found your tree, how long does it take to get up in the tree, set up and be hunting?  Most of my hunting will be here at home on our 15 acres and I plan on putting up a few wooden, homemade ladder stands.  Just easy for me to walk out, climb up in the stand (yes, I use a harness and don't leave the ladder until I'm connected to the tree) and hunt for a few hours before getting down and going to work in the afternoon.  However, a saddle would be great for the few times I hunt public land and for having more options when the wind changes direction or something here at home.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Online arrow30

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2022, 10:32:06 AM »
this will be my 3rd yr. using one, not on every hunt.    hang on and climber are still a very good option for me, hanging in a saddle puts to much pressure on my feet, knees, constantly having to move to relieve the pressure. but will still use when needed on occasion.

mantis
  hawk sticks w /amsteel ropes
  predator platform
  .5 hang on

original register date- jan. 2010

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2022, 11:04:07 AM »
I have thought about trying a saddle but am still on the fence.  Realistically once you've found your tree, how long does it take to get up in the tree, set up and be hunting?  Most of my hunting will be here at home on our 15 acres and I plan on putting up a few wooden, homemade ladder stands.  Just easy for me to walk out, climb up in the stand (yes, I use a harness and don't leave the ladder until I'm connected to the tree) and hunt for a few hours before getting down and going to work in the afternoon.  However, a saddle would be great for the few times I hunt public land and for having more options when the wind changes direction or something here at home.

Depends.  On private I predrill trees and carry grade 8 bolts to slide in the holes.  Otherwise I use sticks with daisy chains...no buckles.  Both take very little time.  The bolts are less bulky, but I'm content with either method.  My saddles have hooks to carry sticks and the platform with me as I climb.  It's a one and done process.  No climbing back down unless I drop something.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2022, 11:32:14 AM »
I had a Millenium M7 for a while..itvwas fairly comfortable but I'm just not sure how the saddle would work for me..I imagine the JX3 would probably be very comfortable

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2022, 06:01:03 PM »
I would say it takes me about 15-20 min to get ALL set up. That's ascend, platform, tether, gear hauled up and hung. I also take my time for the sake of safety, and to avoid sweating too much. Yes, it's easier to get into a ladder; but, some days, my permanent sets aren't where I need to be... wind, activity, crop rotation, etc. A saddle is a nice tool to have in the arsenal. I'll be taking a trip this fall and hunting public for a few days. Ghillie and saddle are coming along!

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2022, 06:52:26 PM »
It takes me around 10-15 minutes like Bronz but I’m very purposeful too. The nice thing about the small platforms is they hang easy and solid quickly. Even if they are 10 degrees+/- around the tree you have so much flexibility in shooting around the tree it works fine. The choice of trees is quite expanded over regular tree stands. Way more options… I think it’s wise to try one first from a buddy or at a show if you’re on the fence. They’re not for everyone but it’s a great tool for sure. I keep it in my pack at all times, you can use it with a fixed stand or off the ground as a ground ambush. I’m really particular about things getting in my way of shooting and I’m doing fine with it. I do shoot a 54” bow though. :campfire:

Online Magilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2022, 09:17:17 PM »
This will be my first year with the saddle, still trying to work out all the kinks but it is coming along. I have been shooting my 60” longbow out of it , there is a learning curve. I am using an Overwatch Transformer, an EDP platform , muddy pro sticks. I also have a ring of steps that I tried but I think I like the platform better
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 01:09:52 PM by Magilla »
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Treadway Black Forest 60”  46@28
Treadway Black Forest 60”  47@28

Offline Whiteoak63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2022, 09:19:16 PM »
When I ascend the only thing I leave on the ground is my bow. I pull it up after I am set.
I either use my spikes or three 20” sticks with one aider on each.
My platform is DIY and very stable weighs 3.4# It has two steps on the strap.
My complete set up will fit in and on my pack and not be above my head or outside of my shoulders.
56” Black Widow PCH-X 49# @ 27
58” Toelke Whistler 46# @ 27
Pearson Hunter 45# @ 28
1974 Bear Grizzly 46#@ 28
1969 Bear Kodiak Magnum 40# @ 28
Hunting in Gods Country.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©