3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who will be saddle hunting this year?  (Read 4923 times)

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who will be saddle hunting this year?
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2022, 09:48:07 PM »
Forgot to mention...  My buddy and I have been filming each other some. Saddles are a great option. We can hang in the same tree, nearby trees, one of us on a hang on and the other in a saddle using the hang on to get vertical, etc.

Whiteoak, I like the DIY platform with the two steps! I tend to have my platform level with my top stick to give myself one more added foot placement to get around the tree more.

Good stuff y'all! Enjoying this thread!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Whiteoak63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2022, 06:45:04 PM »
Killed from the saddle last weekend.
18 yards weak side shot.  Had to slowly pass the bow over my tether to get the shot but it worked out.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 06:51:40 PM by Whiteoak63 »
56” Black Widow PCH-X 49# @ 27
58” Toelke Whistler 46# @ 27
Pearson Hunter 45# @ 28
1974 Bear Grizzly 46#@ 28
1969 Bear Kodiak Magnum 40# @ 28
Hunting in Gods Country.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2022, 07:34:17 PM »
In the saddle right now in illinois.. I have set at least 6 different locations on this trip.. guaranteed I wouldn't have made many changes without the saddle.
Could have shot at least 4 deer so far. Just not what I'm looking for.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2022, 08:16:20 PM »
You fellas that hunt from a saddle, do you find it easier or harder to shoot longbows or recurves compared to a hang on stand?

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2022, 08:51:02 PM »
Just as easy if they come where you prefer. Easier if they don't cuz you won't get to shoot at all from a regular stand.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2022, 08:53:15 PM »
I've been a ground hunter most my life but I bought a Treehopper Recon sling, gonna give it a try.
I don't hunt over 13 ft when I leave the ground but guess I will see how it goes.

Offline Whiteoak63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2022, 09:18:58 PM »
The saddle will allow you to select a lot of different trees and use cover better than a regular stand.
It is much easier to change locations. I moved to a different tree last Saturday morning after having the wrong wind. Took about 15min down, up and hunting again.
56” Black Widow PCH-X 49# @ 27
58” Toelke Whistler 46# @ 27
Pearson Hunter 45# @ 28
1974 Bear Grizzly 46#@ 28
1969 Bear Kodiak Magnum 40# @ 28
Hunting in Gods Country.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2022, 09:26:52 PM »
I took mine to public hunting over the weekend and managed to win the chess match getting within range of a small doe. Unfortunately, my arrow took a couple hairs off the bottom of her chest. Really enjoyed having the saddle to move around in and out each day.
Because I have to make it harder, I am also trying to do a little self filming! That is not easy with cheap equipment, like a homemade camera arm. I won't sacrifice a shot for a shot on camera, but it is definitely adding a layer.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2022, 09:01:45 AM »
I switch to a saddle years ago and love it.  I mainly hunt ground last few years, but when go up this is what I use.  Quick tip:
Like every thing hunting takes time to adjust, want to invest time off season get figured out.  Your thought process on setting up for shot changes, as now you use tree for cover.

Offline Richmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2022, 10:56:15 AM »
I've had my original Greens saddle since the 80'sand it's just another way of hunting along with hang ons, nails on wood platforms or sitting on the ground. Every hunt dictates another way of doing it. But in many years of hunting I have found no one way better than others. Theres always something to pack along to get you where you're going.
Lately I've enjoyed ground hunting more and more because of the simplicity of a stool and clippers.
Hunt how you like to hunt not how others like to hunt.

Offline Pound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2022, 09:23:38 AM »
This is a great thread...I've been kicking around the saddle idea for awhile. Appreciate all the posts and recommendations. It seems like there are increasingly more players in the saddle market every year and competition helps the consumer. Gonna have to check online for videos of traditional shooters using saddles...Thanks

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2022, 11:07:06 AM »
Well, I can say the saddle just ain't for me..Ima stay on the ground and maybe setup a few preset stands.
After trying out the saddle last few days it's not for me

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2022, 11:53:02 AM »
Allen, what did you not like about it?  It’s appealing to me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2022, 02:41:05 PM »
First year for me. Lattitude 2 panel saddle,  trophyline mission platform and antique lone wolf sticks.   No opinion yet but plenty of excitement
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2022, 04:34:20 PM »
I absolutely love sitting in my saddle. But i will say this fellas be extremely careful climbing. I do not buy the idea of them being the safest option out there. I fell from about 8 feet when my second climbing stick kicked out on me as i was transitioning from one stick to another with a little slack in my linemans strap. I know it wasn't the saddles fault per se. But it was enough to turn my arms to hamburger and the step took a nice chunk from my knee. I know accidents can happen in any climbing method but just be aware that you are not an exception using a saddle. As i found out the hard way.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2022, 02:17:28 PM »
Skinny tree.  Dryad Drey and Predator platform.  I used an extra Wild Edge Stepp for my left foot.

"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2022, 04:18:24 PM »
I have a JX3 comin

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2022, 08:31:20 AM »
started doing the saddle thing late season of 2021. wish I would have pursued it before, really enjoy it, though a bit of a learning curve came with it and I'm still narrowing my system down to what works best for me. the best advice for a beginner is always think safety, don't rush and think yourself through every step.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 02:20:27 PM by Alvey »
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2022, 02:08:20 PM »
I absolutely love sitting in my saddle. But i will say this fellas be extremely careful climbing. I do not buy the idea of them being the safest option out there. I fell from about 8 feet when my second climbing stick kicked out on me as i was transitioning from one stick to another with a little slack in my linemans strap. I know it wasn't the saddles fault per se. But it was enough to turn my arms to hamburger and the step took a nice chunk from my knee. I know accidents can happen in any climbing method but just be aware that you are not an exception using a saddle. As i found out the hard way.

Doesn't sound like a saddle issue.  Sounds like a climbing stick problem.  Wouldn't matter what you were sitting in or on.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2022, 02:11:34 PM »
I have a JX3 comin

I have one I haven't hunted from yet.  Alot going on, but it is very comfortable.  I call it a "reverse" system because everything is already attatched to the frame.  Harness, tether, climbing belt, etc.  Add a pouch for hangers and whatever and that's it.

Have not tried the bow from it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©