3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Food plot equipment  (Read 959 times)

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
Food plot equipment
« on: August 25, 2022, 06:58:40 AM »
I know a lot of us do food plots to various degrees. 

If you could have any equipment ya wanted for a mid sized tractor what would it be?  Tiller over a disk?  Cultipacker and spreader would be nice?  Seeder?  Sprayer? 

We may be doing some upgrades and looking for input.
Thanks
Tim B

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Food plot equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 08:04:43 AM »
Tiller is ok for small plots, but takes a lot longer than discing. They do make a great seedbed.

A seeder of some sort will help you get proper amount of seed on. For grain crops, too much is about as bad as too little. Too much competition and you won't grow grain, only plants.

Cultipacker is awesome for seed that needs to be close to surface, makes for good soil contact.

Sprayer is great for grain crops, weeds also are competition for available nutrients. You can also spray clover if the grass takes over.

So a lot depends on what you plan to plant!!   More equipment is good, just sayin... :biglaugh:

I'm going to put some cereal rye in the edge of my clover patch for winter browse in a week or so depending on forecast for rain.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 08:56:10 AM »
My buddy and I bought one a few years ago.  Our "need" was the tiller as we grow sweet potatoes and pumpkins as a hobby.  We were able to find a used cultivator locally for cheap.  We borrow a disk from time to time.  Ideally, a sprayer would be next.....I'm surprised how often we need one.  Seeding is easy.  We only use the tractor to plant sunflowers as the rest is broadcast.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 09:21:00 AM »
Were it me I'd go with a disk, and I did.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 11:16:07 AM »
Were it me I'd go with a disk, and I did.

Yeah, I bought a tiller and did prob 5 acres with it, and then it only got loaned til I sold it.  Gentle final passes on decent ground with disc did pretty much same thing
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 06:02:58 PM »
I bought a Firminator to use behind my 4 wheeler works great and doesn’t it all

Offline JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 10:02:45 PM »
Just recently got a Genesis 5 no till drill. Tim I’m sure you know what I mean when I say we have rocks at our Bollinger county farm. We planted 9 acres with it last Friday. Within two days we had seed coming up. It was pricey, but we felt it was our best option for improving soil health and fertility. Used it with a 62 horse tractor.

It’s a stark contrast on the river farm I hunt. I used a small 35 horse tractor and a rear tine tiller and it works fantastic. That river dirt is like black gold.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 07:01:59 AM »
Thanks for the input guys! 
Ya jake rocks grow good in bo-co lol
Tim B

Offline JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 11:10:29 AM »
Thanks for the input guys! 
Ya jake rocks grow good in bo-co lol
Tim B

I'll add some pics in here later this evening after I get to check some food plots.

I guess didn't really answer your original question.  If the soil is decent, my pic for food plotting equipment would be a small tractor 25-35 HP and a rear tine tiller.  I would use a atv/utv with a boomless sprayer, hitch mount seeder, and a small section of chain link fence for a drag after spreading.  All of that stuff is small enough that you don't need a bigger truck or a very big trailer to haul any of it either.

Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 04:12:14 PM »
I have been doing small plots, 1/8 to 1/4 of an acre mostly. I run a Kubota B2320 Hydrostatic with front wheel assist. Bought and 52" wide disc for $150 and found a 48" drop spreader that was given to me. Cleaned it up and painted it and it works fine. I have a 5' cultipacker and it was probably my best investment. I converted it from a pull type to a 3-point hitch as my plots are secluded and I don't have much room to turn around. I use a 4' bush hog quite a bit and my 5' grader box. I've opened new plots with the grader box by raising the back up and dropping the tines all the way down to break up new ground. Other tools I use-4-gallon backpack sprayer and a Solo spreader. Would like to pick up a 3-point PTO cone spreader for lime. Right now, I buy bulk ag lime ($12/ton) 2 ton at a time and spread it with a shovel. Nearing the age of 67, that isn't as much fun as it used to be!
There is a 2.5-acre field that a local farmer had been cutting for grass hay that I planted in Whitetail Institute Power Plant (2-year old seed, given to me by a local shop) this summer. The farmer disked it for me so all I to do was drag it, plant it and cultipack it. For planting late, it came in well and is being hit hard.
I buy used/old stuff whenever I can and look for deals on seed and fertilizer. In January, the local Wally World and Menards had 12-12-12 fertilizer on sale for $5 for 40#. Now if I could just find herbicide for $10 a gallon! :biglaugh:
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 08:42:47 PM »
Because I  thought it was the best way to go, and at the time it was. I got a disc and broadcast seeder. After using it for 3 years I would recommend a no til drill instead. The budget doesn't have one in for me right now. I have a 39 HP 4wd tractor and that is pretty small for a drill though I think I could find one that works.
You will need a sprayer at some point with til or no til. 

You have to make a lot of passes with a disc, that's not good for the ground. We did manage to get some nice plots. They have limited effectiveness. We are surrounded by ag.

Online JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2022, 08:51:34 PM »
looks good to me.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 06:24:52 AM »
Good stuff boys, thanks for all the info
Tim B

Users currently browsing this topic: