3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Public Land Hunters  (Read 3157 times)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Public Land Hunters
« on: August 31, 2022, 05:21:51 PM »
How do you public land hunters hunt,ground or treestand? For you treestand hunters do you use a climber or hang on?

Offline Tom0728

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Public Land Hunters
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 06:27:02 PM »
I do both depending on the situation. From the ground I just stand in whatever cover I can find. For a tree stand I use a hang on so I can get in any tree I want. No limitations like a climber. And easier to be quiet in my opinion

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 06:29:45 PM »
TX is not much for Public Land hunting.  Any Public that has deer is draw hunting only.  Closest Public to me is 135 miles and archery hog only, unless you submit and get drawn for deer.  Distance makes that a challenge for me.  I usually get two or three trips a year for camping and hunting for pigs.  Anything you leave in the woods is likely not to be there long.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 08:27:18 PM »
Beast Stand, Hawk sticks - hang n hunt - stand goes in and out with me.

Near large bodies of water I hunt on the ground often. Synthetic Gillie, seat, camo netting.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 09:44:55 PM »
Been using a Lone Wolf hang on stand for years. You can't let the stand up over night here in Wisconsin on public land. Up and down after every hunt. Been thinking about using a tree saddle.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 10:27:48 PM »
I shot my very first deer while I was in a tree.
The rest were all taken from the ground. I prefer ground. I won’t fall far, I can see what made that noise over on the other side of the hill, go take a leak. But
I have seen things from a tree that I would not have seen, or seen so much of, from the ground.

I can also suffer the pain of cold (hypothermia is much safer on the ground), of sitting on a 4” board, of not daring to move my littlest part lest the deer see it. If things are too quiet, I can walk away.
I like the ground.

Went to school in NW Jersey. Interesting place.

Killdeer

Afterthought:
I have bought and sold two Loggy Bayou tree stands. I retain a Hang-on Light, but have used it once in twenty years. As a camp stool.  :saywhat:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 08:51:28 AM »
I use a climber. I did the hang on thing for years. To much work as i dont leave it over night.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 09:07:25 AM »
I hunt both pubic and private.  Regardless I bought a saddle a few years ago and use it exclusively.  The public I hunt requires daily removal of your stand.  And one of the two near my house requires you to be 6' off the ground.  So even though I have hunted off the ground in the past I prefer to be up in a tree.  I like the field of view because I gravitate towards some pretty thick areas and it's hard to see em coming.  That being said, I'm usually up 12'-15' only.

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 01:12:34 PM »
I'm lucky to live close to more than a half million acres of federal grass lands.  Our bow season is 4 months long and we can put stands up a week or two before season and leave them up until the end of Jan. When I was younger, I did a lot of spot and stalk but I mostly set in stands these days. 

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 01:58:20 PM »
I've hunted both public and private land for years. ALWAYS from the ground.

On heavily hunted public land, the most sign of me you will find, is a bare patch of earth at the base of a tree...
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2022, 04:13:42 PM »
Hang on 99% of the time. I’ll hunt from the ground if the sign is there but no tree  :archer2: :archer2:
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2022, 06:49:24 AM »
I guess it depends on the public land. In the rare case I get to hunt the national forest down state I have at times used a hang on. It's been several years since I've been down there though. I don't think I'm up to packing all that stuff very far anymore. I'm sure NOT going to be taking it in and out with me. I used to do it on state places in northern Illinois. Go into the woods in the dark, get the stand up, hunt and then pack it all out. I don't even want to do that again.

The stand has hurt me because I was never able to scout down there before a hunting trip. Once the stand was up I was real hesitant to move and the first spot just wasn't always the best place to setup.

So I hunted a lot from the ground where I was free to roam. It's a lot more fun than sitting in a tree.

I've never put a stand up on a local state WMA. You just never know where the people are going to be and I'm mostly limited to hunting on the weekend. As I said I'm not putting it up and down on every hunt.

I haven't hunted the local places for several years because of the pressure they get but I'm going to give another shot this year. It's either that or no hunting at all. So to spice up my ground hunting this year I bought a ghillie suit. Just waiting for a cool enough day to try shooting in it. I guess I'll probably have to do some trimming or something.

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2022, 08:47:21 AM »
For me it depends on the type of public land.  I grew up hunting the OH/MI where it was very flat, so I always used a treestand.  Now that I’m in the mountains, I normally hunt from the ground in my Waldrop Pack Seat because I have to walk farther and it’s very steep.  I can usually find a spot with an elevated view so a treestand isn’t as necessary.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2022, 03:05:00 PM »
One thing I have learned about hunting hard-hunted public land....

Hunters pattern other hunters.... Yes, a portable stand can be carried in, and out, with you.
However, you are more visible to other hunters, who are looking for other hunters.
Most stands leave marks on trees, and you disturb the ground/leaf litter setting them up.

Years ago during the gun seasons, I killed a buck every year, for 4 years, on the opening day of gun season.
I sat on a rock ledge, about 10 foot above a saddle between 2 ridges. If anyone was to climb up there and look, all they would find was a 3ft patch of bare ground.

This was on a 909 acre NYS multiple use area, along the Taconic State Parkway,
which is a direct route north out of New York City!!!  The place got HAMMERD opening day!! :readit:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2022, 03:54:31 PM »
At 68 with bad joints (low back and two TKR's) and a seriously bad ankle I'll hunting my pac seat a lot and much closer to the road this year plus I find most people go deep into the woods to set up.
I'm seeing plenty of animals by carefully checking the roads for trails crossing them and setting up close enough so I don't have to walk in too far. Less disturbance in the woods and it seems animals ( deer and hogs ) parallel roads 10-30 yds w/o any distinct trails until they want to cross. Probably why I lose most trails after a little bit following them off a road.
Plus with my pac seat it's so easy to simply get up and reposition if the wind changes direction and I don't worry about scum bag thieves because it goes with me anywhere everywhere.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2022, 05:24:19 PM »
Where I live I am lucky enough to use LW hand climbers which are the easiest as I carry in and out. Also use a LW hang on and there sticks sometimes on new property incase as they are more versatile for me. Also ground hunt as needed. 90 % of my hunts are public
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline StxHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2022, 09:41:18 PM »
I’ve been hunting Texas public land for the last 5 years. I’ve killed a buck and a doe and also missed a buck and a doe. I use hang on stands. I started with a Lone Wolf Alpha, then went to saddle hunting, then back to a Lone Wolf Assault. I used lone wolf sticks then went to using beast sticks with a removable aider. I carry the stand and sticks on a Kuiu Venture 2300. I usually set up and take down every hunt, but will sometimes leave it over night if I intend on coming back to the spot in the morning. Wudstix does have a point, I have to drive a LONG way to hunt public in Texas. My first deer was killed 278 miles from my home and the second was killed 347 miles from home. I know this seems like a long way for Texas public land hunting, but it is a nice change from the brush country of south Texas so me and a friend try to make at least a few trips a year.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 01:16:38 PM »
Public land. I no longer stand hunt, have resorted to ground blinds and am pretty satisfied with it.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2022, 10:23:41 AM »
ground or very low climber,, I kinda scout from the stand but when I hunt an area that has a alot of people I don't try to figure the deer out I try to figure the people out,,,,  where do they not go and where would the deer run to if spooked by them......... I usually head into the thickest nastiest stuff in the area and I do pretty good,,,, ground or keep the stand low just at the lowest canopy I'm from 8 to 10 at the base of my stand but im into some leaves and branches the deer don't really see me.
"Us vs Them"

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2022, 03:35:24 PM »
For public I prefer Lone Wolf Hang On or Tree Saddle & Sticks. Will definitely hunt the Ground if the sign and terrain call for it, but success has been higher in the tree… :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©