3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new member  (Read 562 times)

Offline Microtus

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« on: September 05, 2022, 05:58:46 PM »
I've been here off and on for a couple of years but this is my first post.  I started bowhunting in 1984 following yet another year of idiots with guns chasing deer in 1983.  I figured if somebody was going to shoot me they had to get within 70 yards or so and be sneakier than I was.  I've used a compound bow ever since but had always been tempted to try a recurve or longbow.  Hunting high altitude wilderness areas in California, and expectations of longer shots, always gave me an excuse to stick with the compound.

I moved to the Michigan U.P. a few years ago and drug my compound with me.  Hanging off the side of a tree is certainly different and where I hunt, longer shots are defiantly not the norm.  I tore up my shoulder two years ago in late summer and picked up a crossbow to salvage deer season.  At least it didn't have wheels on it; Excalibur micro assassin.  The shoulders better, and I've got an itch to finally pick up a recurve or longbow.  Working three jobs allowed me to save a little cash.  It's too late for this season but gives me time to read way too much info, call a bowyer, partial to Toelke and practice.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 08:33:37 PM »
My suggestion would be to pick up a reasonably priced used bow in a draw weight that that you can handle. Not sure what weight your compound is/was, but if you've been experiencing shoulder issues, I would think 35#-45#. At this point in time, you can't be sure what kind of weight you can handle comfortably. Most, if not all of the bigger shoots in Michigan are over, otherwise you could have hit the used bow racks and found out what is comfortable for you. Shooting an old bow in a weight you can handle easily will let you work on your form and truly find out if you can or even want to shoot a traditional bow. I would guess that you will enjoy shooting a traditional bow but waiting for a custom bow when you could be learning to shoot...well, I think you see what I am getting at. Several really fine custom bows being built in Michigan. Do a search and reach out to some of them and maybe drop by their shops and shoot their bows. Maybe get some free shooting tips while your there. Good luck!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 08:37:43 PM »
Mike; Good advice.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Microtus

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 09:31:47 PM »
Thanks Mike, sound advice and about what I was expecting.

Neighbors brother the next town over has a number of longbows and recurves I can toy with.  I'll touch bases with him in the next day or two. He's made the offer before but working 3 jobs had me put it on the back burner.   My current compound is at 72lbs, my previous one was 80lb.  Based on what I've seen online, mid 40's or so @28 should be more than enough for what I'm doing.  I'm 6-3 with a 31 inch draw which puts some limitations on what to buy.  The shoulder injury was two years ago and a non issue.  I've dug into and researched 42 bowyers over the last few months.  Previous research went away with the old dead laptop  :(

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 09:49:04 PM »
You can’t go wrong with a Toelke and Dan will give you as good advice as any bowyer out there. I do agree that I would play with a few different poundages to make sure your shoulder can handle it! Good luck with your search!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 10:40:24 PM »
Sounds like you're on track,
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Microtus

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 03:40:20 PM »
Well, the neighbors brother swung by, and I got to fling some arrows out of a few different bows today, three longbows and a recurve.  Three of them were 45@28 and one was 52@28; A Bob Lee, a Bear Montana, a Martin unknown and a Coyote unknown in 60, 64 and 66 inch flavors.  He had a few more at higher poundage that I didn't shoot.  It took a few arrows to loosen up, I haven't pulled a bow back in over 2 years, but it actually went really well.  I ended up flinging around 30 arrows or so.

The Martin was a recurve with a narrow grip that was a little small for my hand, I had a tendency to torque it to the left at the shot.  It had a little bit of vibration and a little more noise than the longbows but pulled nice and smooth.  Compared to my compound, the longbows felt like toothpicks.  What a difference from the bows I've been carrying for the last 38 years.  They pulled and shot nice though one of them liked to nip me at the end of the wrist. 

He tried real hard to leave one of the longbows with me.  This close to the opening of deer season I really didn't want to take the time messing with it and kindly declined.  Cats out of the bag, wife knows I'm looking at a new toy.  So far so good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©