3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What to do with this old DH Hunter  (Read 1361 times)

Offline NinjaVanish

• Trad Bowhunter
What to do with this old DH Hunter
« on: September 27, 2022, 08:30:32 PM »
My BIL has gifted me his old Damon Howatt Hunter that he’s had since the 70s. He lives in Tallahassee and says it’s been kept in the garage and “out of the weather.”

I’m kinda terrified to string it up, but I’d love to give it a new life. I’m going to attach some pics to show its condition. Hoping you guys with a better eye can run me through how you might go about it. It’s in what I would consider pretty rough shape. Maybe not? Idk.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What to do with this old DH Hunter
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 10:17:53 PM »
If it is not damaged, I would clean it up, string it up, and shoot it.
Sam

Offline NinjaVanish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 10:44:40 PM »
Should I be worried that it was stored in a garage in one of the most humid climates in the country? It hasn’t been strung since the 80’s or early 90’s at the latest.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 11:08:13 PM »
I would be more worried if it had been stored in Arizona.  Drying out is a greater risk than humidity for wood. Face it, it could break.  Any of our bows could break.  I've broken a couple of classic bows myself.  I've got a couple of classic bows hanging over my fireplace that I will never shoot, for that reason. 

If you decide you want to shoot it, then exercise it slowly into action.  In other words, draw it little by little at different draw lengths before you draw it to full draw.  When you get it to full draw, draw and let down a few times before you shoot it.  Good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 12:04:38 AM »
HHT looks like it might be a 1965 model. but  I'm no expert!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 06:11:23 AM »
Beautiful bow, I would like to send it to a good bow doc and hunt with it.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline NinjaVanish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 09:21:55 AM »
I'm located in middle TN. Not sure of anyone specifically. I may reach out to the folks over at Buck Hollow.  :campfire:

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 09:48:05 AM »
I have my dads old recurve. He traded a home-made duck boat for it in about 1959. It was used then.  I’m told it could have been made by Tim Meigs when he worked for Radtkey (sp?) Archery I had a Dacron string made for it and  shot it a few times.  Just a keepsake for me now tho. I’d hate to break it.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 10:19:44 AM »
Clean it up with warm water and dish detergent.

Get a new DACRON string for it.

String it up, and check for twists.

Excerscise it, as Dave suggested.

Shoot it!! They were mean't, to be bent... :archer2:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 05:43:32 PM »
Agree with most of whats been said, but if the finish is in any way compromised DON'T use water. Mineral spirits or denatured alcohol will clean it up. It'll probably need a refinish anyway. By the way, that bow is not that old. I have ones from the mid fifties that get shot often.
The Howatt Hunter is arguably one of the best production recurves ever made, it deserves a second chance.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 08:52:21 AM »
1.)  Although your 5th pic 'suggests' the limbs are straight, be SURE they are before stringing it.  Minor twist can be bumped straight, major twist is another matter.
2.)  If it passes #1, replace the string with (as mentioned before) B-50 dacron.  They are fairly cheap, and the cost is worth it considering the 'other cost' you might pay (a string that breaks at full draw is not fun).
3.)  After putting on the new string, use a bow stringer and (as said before) be careful...do it a small amount at a time to flex the limbs gently.  Look for signs of major twist as you put more pressure on the stringer...sometimes twist doesn't show up on old bows until pressure is applied.  If they twist significantly during stringing, STOP.  The bow has issues needing fixing before going further, or it's a wall hanger.
4.)  If the bow strings up normally, again be careful when drawing it.  Look and listen for odd flex noises or possible delam along the limb edges/limb tips.  Go slowly until reaching full draw, then careful 'bounce' the draw as final stress test.  If all is/sounds/looks ok, shoot an test arrow.  If bow sounds, feels, and shoots ok then you probably have a keeper.
5.)  Unstring it and clean up with Goo-Gone, not water or mineral spirits.  GG won't harm the finish and it's an excellent cleaner for wood surfaces.

Hope it turns out well and you can enjoy it.  BY the way, DM Howatts are great bows but tend to have some twist issues over time even when handled and stored properly (at least the three I've owned did).  If it passes the above tests and seems ok, just be sure to check the limbs carefully eery once in awhile for twist.  With straight/solid limbs that bow should be a great shooter.   :thumbsup:

Offline Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 08:55:11 AM »
I bet that will clean up and be a beauty!
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline NinjaVanish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2022, 09:17:11 AM »
1.)  Although your 5th pic 'suggests' the limbs are straight, be SURE they are before stringing it.  Minor twist can be bumped straight, major twist is another matter.
2.)  If it passes #1, replace the string with (as mentioned before) B-50 dacron.  They are fairly cheap, and the cost is worth it considering the 'other cost' you might pay (a string that breaks at full draw is not fun).
3.)  After putting on the new string, use a bow stringer and (as said before) be careful...do it a small amount at a time to flex the limbs gently.  Look for signs of major twist as you put more pressure on the stringer...sometimes twist doesn't show up on old bows until pressure is applied.  If they twist significantly during stringing, STOP.  The bow has issues needing fixing before going further, or it's a wall hanger.
4.)  If the bow strings up normally, again be careful when drawing it.  Look and listen for odd flex noises or possible delam along the limb edges/limb tips.  Go slowly until reaching full draw, then careful 'bounce' the draw as final stress test.  If all is/sounds/looks ok, shoot an test arrow.  If bow sounds, feels, and shoots ok then you probably have a keeper.
5.)  Unstring it and clean up with Goo-Gone, not water or mineral spirits.  GG won't harm the finish and it's an excellent cleaner for wood surfaces.

Hope it turns out well and you can enjoy it.  BY the way, DM Howatts are great bows but tend to have some twist issues over time even when handled and stored properly (at least the three I've owned did).  If it passes the above tests and seems ok, just be sure to check the limbs carefully eery once in awhile for twist.  With straight/solid limbs that bow should be a great shooter.   :thumbsup:

Thank you. Seems like you may have done this once or twice. Thanks for the tips!

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2022, 05:14:39 PM »
Good stuff!  I'd give it a shot or two for sure. I still have my grandad's on Browning nomad stalker and shoot it every once in a while.  I didn't read all the tips, but do check the string if its that old.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©