3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Light Beams and Game Animal’s Night Vision  (Read 275 times)

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Light Beams and Game Animal’s Night Vision
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
When I was a kid and tried fox hunting at night, the old timers claimed fox couldn't see a red beam light, really don't know cause never had much success at it, day or night for that matter, but really wonder what kind lights animals can see.

If they can’t see red how’s come dogs and cats will chase red laser beams??? A 6-pack, a laser beam, and a hyperactive dog (like a Jack Russell is great cheap entertainment...8^))

Use deer as an example – I understand in low light or darkness they see UV blue/yellow colors of the light spectrum better than red, but do youenz believe they can see the cast of a white light beam, like that from a regular old flashlight?

Once heard or read where a well known hunter thought that maybe deer and/or bear didn’t notice or didn’t recognize a flashlight beam (say - like shinning a beam in front of them from a treestand).

I’m not quite sure what to think. I’ve had animals or something approach in darkness, whether prior to getting situated on a stand before daylight or preparing to leave after dark, and the couple times I shinned a light to identify what it was, the deer didn’t seem to be affected by the light until it caught my movement… Don’t know; don’t really know what to believe.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Light Beams and Game Animal’s Night Vision
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
Most mammals have what is known as two color pigments; two types of cone. They are said to be dichromatic, and they see the world rather like a red-green color deficient person. Humans have three of these pigments and are said to be trichromatic.

Few, if any, mammals are totally lacking in color vision. Ground squirrels have a blindness to red much like the one that affects some human beings. Tests so far have shown some ability to discriminate color in seals, cows, swine, squirrels, rabbits, rats, goats and giraffes.

Color blind people can see the traffic light change from green to yellow to red - they just can't see any difference between red and green.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
I've played with flashlight beams on deer and bear after legal shooting hours and neither seem too affected by it. If deer are looking at the source of the light and you are moving it too much, they doo seem to have a focus point for the motion and it seems to affect them more than the light itself.
Bears on the other hand don't seem to care at all.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
Think of a deer in the headlights. Of course they see the headlights, the problem is that they freeze. A lot of animals know we are there before we sense them, but they don't react until a physical object triggers a response.  Hard to find anyplace now that doesn't have artificial light, so most mammals we see are used to headlights, airplane landing lights, street lights, flashlights, and campfire.
I don't think I would wave a flashlight at a hungry polar bear, though.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
I have a very powerful colimation lazer for tuning telescopes, I have never seen an animal that it didn't scare the crap out of, I also found  when i hunted coyotes at night many years ago, that if the red light blinks it scares the coyotes.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
laddy - Interesting

Although I've never messed with a bear at night (thank gawd...8^)) I was about to concur with Biggie.

Can’t understand how cats and dogs can see lasers but don’t seem to recognize flashlight beams. Maybe it has to do with the light intensity??? Hmmmm...

Taking a new pup outside at night is what got me thinking about this. She doesn’t seem to recognize a flashlight beam like other dogs who've owned me...8^) except for maybe coonhounds that looked in trees while shinning a Wheat light – although that could be because they either see the coon or from experience of knowing one is up there or maybe it’s the intensity of the headlamp??? It'd really be nice to know EXACTLY what animals do see. Any Dr. DooLittles out there?...8^)

I've always been a careful of deer seeing light beams to and from stand and a reason to rarely use one except for safety and when absolutely necessary and then use only a small keyring type light. Now, I'm beginning to believe as long as it’s low light intensity to just go ahead and shin away, although first, will experiment a little this season.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
Nocturnal animals don't need flashlights - they are able to see by starlight. That reflected light from their eyes is from their incredibly developed retinas. They see your flashlight glare reflecting off whatever you point at - they just don't always react. Remember, they already smelled us or heard us long before we made some more noise by clicking on the light. If they ignore our noise and smell, why not ignore our lights, just as long as the trash can is still full. Not many honey bees left to fatten up the bears these days, and there are a lot of carbs in most dumpsters.

You don't need to see color to see reflected light - some of us non-colorblind folk just see red a lot better than others.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
TonyW – No offense, but not asking about noise or scent in hunting class 101, and kinda know the biology of cones and rods, but what I'm interested in knowing is what if any kind of artificial light beams animals, particularly game animals and what they ACTUALLY see.

As said, I know cats and dogs see laser beams but don’t seem to recognize flashlight beams. Kinda brings me to believe it’s light intensity…

Kinda wanting to hear other people’s theories and/or experiences with animals and lights, like with Biggie’s experiences.

Thanx

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 06:38:00 AM »
I've noticed also that if you put the light spot on the ground in front of a deer or bear, they never seem to notice it even if you move it around. Ditto if you shine it on one animal, the others don't see it (or don't seem to care)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
Gary, sorry that I sound like a biology teacher. Mea culpa.

What I meant to get across is that most mammals can see the red light, it just looks dull gray.
Why do they fail to react? It may be that an odorless dead silent light beam doesn't invade their personal space. Throw a pebble where the light beam is, and that physical object will trigger a response. The pebble makes a noise and carries your scent.

The very fact that you sit quietly at a nonthreatening distance while the light beam is close is actually teaching the animal that the light poses no threat. To the animal, that moving shadow and light is as harmless as a moon beam.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
Birds can see colors and are extremely light sensitive.  If you shine a bright flash light in the eyes of a close bear for a bit they do seem to get confused, but they figure it out pretty quick.

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
I will say this I like the red light to use in the woods before daylight. When I turn it off I can see much better than with a white light.I guess it is more for me than for the animals.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
Thanx for your thoughts and experiences guys...

Think I may experiment a little with light beams this season.

Thanx again

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©