3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Story of Butch(2 new Installments p.4)  (Read 14812 times)

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Story of Butch(2 new Installments p.4)
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »
I have to agree with you about the English as my American fiance is an English teacher. Another great story by the way.
Graham

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks again Graham
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Brian McIntyre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »
I must tell you that story was AWESOME!!  I was/am so proud of you.  It cracked me up when the musclehead crumbled.  You were rather selfish not to let your brothers have a turn at Doug.  :D   Your parents obviously brought you up the right way.  Too bad so many kids today don't get treated as well. I like what your dad said about being honorable.  Thanks for the stories.

MacGilla
-------------------------------------------------

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »
Brian, I don't see how doing what my father told me to, to be selfish.  :bigsmyl:   You're welcome. I still don't know why I felt the need to share. I'm just glad you folks have liked reading it.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
TTT for a friend to read.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
stand tall!it will get better

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
Butch....
Nice story....You should write the book.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
Yup!  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
Excellent story!  Are you a writer in addition to being a cook?  Your story really hooked me, I read every word.

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Keith-I am fully employed now so it did get better someone just e-mailed me and wanted to read the story and couldn't find it.

Mike abnd Killy I am working on it.

dachba-Thanks
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
Great read.I got totally emersed in it.Reminded me of some of the Hemingway short stories that he wrote on the Big Two Harted River in the U.P of MI.

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
Wow what a great story, I hope your new employment provides you with great happiness and time to continue your writing. Glenn
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
HooYah!! I know, I know----thats a Navy battlecry, but I'm Navy. It's a pleasure to make your aquaintance Curtiss.

Jeff

US Navy, SBU-13

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
Hey Curtiss, it's great to see this at the top again. There's quite a few new members who probably didn't know about this.....Now where's the book??    :D  
Graham

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
Curtis thanks! Great story man oh man. I too am honored to make your acquaintance!!!

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
Great read!  After reading the first two lines I was hooked like a big ole marlin.  When is the next installment of the Adventures of Butch coming??!!!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
Good read! Everyone should have a biography written about them, there are a lot of great stories out there.

Adam

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
WOW Steelhead being compared to Earnest Hemingway is much too high praise for my writing.

Biorn I was one of the few Marines that almost never called a sailor a squid. Usually I called them "our little brothers" LOL Some sailors thought squids perferable.
madness, I'll bring another memory to the surface and post it.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2007, 12:36:00 AM »
In the Summer of Butch's 13 year his brothers and he were given a rare Saturday off from farm work. So they talked it over and decided to go fishing. Living in Southwest Indiana offered an interesting opportunity for them. At the time a child under 18 years of age wasn't required to have a fishing license in either Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky or Missouri. So they all decided it would be cool to fish in 4 diffesrent states in one day. They grabbed their fishing gear, loaded it all into his oldest brothers car and fist head to the Wabash River. They each caught dozens of green sunfish and just threw them back. Butch's Grandma had given him a cottage cheese cotainer of chicken livers and a big zebco reeled stout fishing rod of his Grandpa's to try and catch catfish with and Buth used it on the Wabash and caught a 20 pound flathead that went into the fish cooler. He caught the biggest fish of them all on the Wabash. After an hour and a half they left and headed south to the Ohio River and they stopped at a store on the way and all of Butch's brother bought a pound of chicken livers. Once again Butch caught the biggest fish, a 10 pound channel cat that went into the cooler.  After an hour and a half or so they went over the river to Kentucky to a distsance cousin's property and a small lake that was supposed to be full of crappie and hybrid sunfish. Butch caught several redears and a warmouth and threw them back and then tied on a roadrunner and started hauling in the crappie, both black and white. he put an even dozen in the cooler knowing his Grandpa's favorite fish to eat was crappie.After about two hours they headed to Missouri once there they fished with crankbaits and caught a few bass in a small lake at a State park then they headed for home through Illinois and stopped at a fishing hole Butch's second oldest brother knew about. This was also a swimming hole for some of the local teenagers and there were a lot of girl in bikinis that upon seeingf them made Butch blush, This caused his older brothers to tease him mercilessly. Butch went off by hisself and cyhucked out a big chicken on a treble hook and sat down on a moss cover rock. No Sooner had his bottom made contact with the rock that he felt a tug on his line. It was a tremendous tug and his reeled down and set the hook like his father had taught him. and suddenly the pull on his line increased to the point where the fishing rod was almost pulled from his hands. He fought what he thought was a huge fish for over an hour when his brothers found him and started shouting incouragement and advice. He fought it and fought it until finally he was making some headway. Slowly, ever so slowly whatever this fish was on the end of his line was coming in. Then suddenly there was a rush right toward he had to real furiously to keep up with whatever this was then it slowly surged away again and he tried to turn it but couldn't. Again he started making headway ever so slowly bringing the monster fish in now the sun was starting to go down and in the long shadows of the sun's last light it broke the surface near the water's edge. Suddenly there was the head of the biggest snapping turtle Butch had ever seen. Slowly he got it to the shore none of his brothers wanted to you near it. Then his oldest brother pulled out his pocket knife and walked up to the snapper and just cut Butch's line within a few inches of the snappers mouth and turned to them all and said, "Let's get going home I told dad we'd be home by now." Butch just stood there sputtering. He couldn't believe his brother had just let the turtle go like that. Almost three hours of battle for NOTHING!!!!! Butch didn't talk to his older brother for almost a week.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
c2 im very happy for you and your new job!good things happen to good people.keep standing tall and keep writing. well done

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©