3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with TP  (Read 2159 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with TP
« on: October 15, 2022, 09:53:18 AM »
Seems like every year when hunting season creeps up on me, my TP seems to increase. I think it's the pressure i put on myself to make as clean a shot as possible. I'd love to do a program that would help control it, but i refuse to give up hunting and it seems like life just takes up the rest of my year.

I seem to find ways to control it to a degree during hunting season. Usually by incorporating a clicker or like right now im using the RMS grip clicker to help. I guess I'm just curious to see what others do to keep their confidence up when they get into the woods. I know a lot of us suffer from this and it can really kill one's confidence when looking to make a lethal shot.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with TP
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 11:53:05 AM »
OH!, TP = target panic.
I hunt with TP and have sens the 1960s.
Use it to help tracking blood trails.  :saywhat:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 12:07:37 PM »
Ya I was thinking about regular TP….was gonna suggest baby wipes ha
Don’t give up huntin whatever you do
Tim B

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 12:29:56 PM »
Man i wish the only TP i hunted with was the regular kind  :bigsmyl:

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 01:38:38 PM »
I'm more of a folded up paper towels kind of guy.  Sturdier in use and in the pocket or pack.
No idea about the other.  Haven't had to cross that bridge yet.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline MKane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 04:02:02 PM »
I was fortunate enough to have a friend with several light poundage left handed bows.Struggled withTP for years, but switching to left handed eliminated it completely.Its been close to 10 years now and still no problem getting to anchor left handed.Took some time getting used to,but not as hard as I thought it would be.Probably something for the off season though.
Marty Kane

Offline Brokefarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 06:10:42 PM »
I practice my release at a close distance to the target with eyes open. I also like to do draw holds. 15-20 yds from the target and do everything just like when shooting at game but don't release. Every once and a while let one go.

Offline Brokefarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 06:25:47 PM »
I also forgot, I use only one arrow when prepping for season. The  bow and arrows are tuned so I'm just working on my form and my mental game.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2022, 06:38:51 PM »
Seems like every year when hunting season creeps up on me, my TP seems to increase. I think it's the pressure i put on myself to make as clean a shot as possible. I'd love to do a program that would help control it, but i refuse to give up hunting and it seems like life just takes up the rest of my year.

I seem to find ways to control it to a degree during hunting season. Usually by incorporating a clicker or like right now im using the RMS grip clicker to help. I guess I'm just curious to see what others do to keep their confidence up when they get into the woods. I know a lot of us suffer from this and it can really kill one's confidence when looking to make a lethal shot.

I think I own the rights to this TShirt …

I make sure I am stumping a lot , a bunch of draw and hold on small targets both close up and far away . I run an RMSG Grip Trigger on a few rigs and as long as I make sure I’m only pulling through once the trigger pops ( yeah , I know , that struggle is real ) but then I’m good
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 07:41:54 PM »
You need Joel Turner. Stop wasting your own time.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2022, 09:13:56 PM »
Joel Turner x 2

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2022, 09:28:44 PM »
I did the same as MKane.  I switched to LH shooting in 1996 after shooting RH for 28 years. It was easier for me because I'm left-eye dominate. 

No issues since.

I started having issues after joining an indoor league in the early 80's. I was able to control it until around 1994. I did so by leaving myself something to "do" before drawing the bow, such as getting into final position. That stopped working after a couple of years. I remember wounding a small buck and a turkey on the same PM hunt in MO, 1995.  That was it for me. Had to fix it.

The key, I know now is to focus on the process rather than the result.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2022, 09:35:11 PM »
I never really had TP but for loss of confidence a sight helped me.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Eecho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2022, 06:02:52 AM »
Same here. The further the distance the worse my TP was. I’d shorten my draw focusing on the target. I got over it by the doing what others have suggested coming to full draw at various distances, holding draw and letting down. Then after getting comfortable coming to full draw shooting one arrow then doing it all over again. I guess focusing more on the draw and anchor instead of the target helped me. Oh yea…I keep tolled up TP in my pocket too. For emergencies and marking blood trails.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2022, 10:53:09 AM »
Same here. The further the distance the worse my TP was. I’d shorten my draw focusing on the target. I got over it by the doing what others have suggested coming to full draw at various distances, holding draw and letting down. Then after getting comfortable coming to full draw shooting one arrow then doing it all over again. I guess focusing more on the draw and anchor instead of the target helped me. Oh yea…I keep tolled up TP in my pocket too. For emergencies and marking blood trails.

I think this is a good method for those situations where you have the time to do it.  Fortunately, I’ve never had this problem when shooting at an animal.  My TP rears its ugly head when I’m shooting repetitive arrows in a group, like in a 3D tournament, or even just informally.  The greatest problem I had was forcing myself to do the things you suggest while other people were watching me and waiting for me to shoot.  Finally I just decided that I really had no alternative, since jerking the release on a partially drawn arrow was unacceptable, and I would prefer quitting than to continue to do that.  So the other people just have to put up with me drawing and letting down, etc.  Frankly, I think we worry too much about what other people might be thinking, because the truth is, they're probably not thinking about us anyway.

But to return to the original question, how do we control TP when we only get one shot, and there is no time to wait or to do practice draws?  I really have no good answer to that, other than the one offered several times already, which is to attend Joel Turner's course, either on-line or in person.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2022, 12:20:10 PM »
McDave, i always enjoy your input on these topics.

I guess i could've elaborated more. I can't say for sure if ive ever experienced TP per se on an animal. I've always just tried to focus on "the spot".

I guess was alluding to experiencing an increase in TP even shooting informally before and during season.  Which historically is my case. I seem to find band aids to keep confident up to a degree in order to keep hunting.

I need to take the time in the off season to correct the problem appropriately. But i just never seem to actually do it.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2022, 12:21:52 PM »
Focus on the game.... The shot will just happen. :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2022, 10:47:38 AM »
I’m not really sure what target panic really is… but what ever it it is, you are obviously thinking about it too much.

I’m not trying to be sarcastic here at all. The power of positive thinking is huge. Talking about target panic, and insisting you have a problem with it, is not helping matters at all…. It is all In your head, so quit talking about it and reinforcing your lack of confidence.

I choose to believe there is no such thing as target panic. TP is what I use in the bathroom or even the woods when necessary for obvious reasons.

Instinctive archery isn’t a shooting form or method of aiming. Archery becomes instinctive as you learn to just focus on where that arrow is going to hit, and don’t think about anything else.

Become one with the arrow and learn how to relax at full draw. I know that may sound strange. How the heck do you relax holding 50-60# at full draw?

You practice by improving your form and using your back muscles to hold that tension instead of your arms, and breath slowly…. If you concentrate on your point of impact and learn to regulate your breathing….. that moment of release is in a relaxed state as you let your breath out every time.

Practice this on a blank bale with your eyes closed until it becomes instinctive…..and quit thinking about TP.     .02 cents….    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2022, 02:32:00 PM »
Kirk, thanks for the post. A lot of truth in it.  :thumbsup:

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Beware the simian swine jockey
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2022, 02:53:37 PM »
Snap shooting, no time to think. Also helps if you hunt on the move. Having something to do keeps the mind on track.
Ooo, who, who hangs free

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©