3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with TP  (Read 2160 times)

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with TP
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2022, 04:03:52 PM »
I doubt that anyone who doesn't have TP can either understand or prescribe a cure.  There really is such a thing.  The absolute best approach I have had with the stuff is Jim Casto's program.  He has sent that out free to over 600 folks who requested it.  The problem is, what the program calls for most guys are unwilling to do.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2022, 05:39:46 PM »
David, agreed. I have Jims program and have stopped and started it numerous times. The problem is me and i know that. I need to stop making excuses and devote to the program. However when it's winter time im still hunting, when it's spring time we start shooting 3D. And then all of a sudden it's fall again and time to hunt.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2022, 06:59:42 PM »
I also went through Jim's program, and it helped me a lot.  It is not a panacea, but it is a good program for people who's target panic has become so ingrained that it has become a conditioned response, like mine had.  An example of a conditioned response is Pavlov's dogs, who learned to salivate at the sound of a bell, whether food was present or not.  When target panic becomes that bad, one feels it every time one does the action that activates it.  In my case I had a fear response that manifested itself as a nervous compulsion to release the shot prematurely whenever I drew the bow with the intention of shooting it.  When the target panic reaches the stage of a conditioned response, it is no longer directly related to anything real, even though it feels like it is.  In my case, I had nothing to be afraid of when I drew the bow and I logically knew that.  Programs aimed at addressing the problem that originally caused the target panic are no longer effective, because whatever the original problem may have been, it no longer exists.  It has been replaced by a physical nervous reaction to a stimulus, like a startle reaction to being unexpectedly touched.

Jim's program was effective for me because it numbed the fear response through many repetitions without feeling it.  Every draw is aimed in Jim's program, whether it is shot or not.  It is critical under Jim's program to start at a level when target panic is not felt, and to continue to the end of the program without ever feeling it again.  If one takes time off in the middle of the program to shoot a fun round and experiences target panic again, one has wasted all the time in the program until then.  Frankly, boredom is one of the tools Jim uses in the program to dull whatever destructive feeling is accompanying the target panic, until it can be replaced with a new conditioned response of relaxed concentration.

After completing the program, I have felt flashes of the old fear from time to time.  When that happens, I go back and repeat the drills until the conditioned response is dulled again, which doesn't mean repeating the whole six weeks, just enough to feel confident again.  Frankly, just understanding that the nervous reaction I was feeling had nothing to do with anything going on in the present, but was something carried over from the past, was a great help in itself: why should I let something bother me that has nothing to do with anything that is going on now?

Everything I said relates solely to my own experience with Jim's program.  He just presents his program for whatever benefit people may have from using it, and has not, to my knowledge, discussed conditioned responses or any other specific cause.  People whose target panic has not devolved into a conditioned response may benefit from his program for reasons that are different from mine.

Target panic has many causes.  Some programs are very successful for some people without the many repetitions required in Jim's program because their causes are different.  I'm not sure that the original poster has a conditioned response, because he describes his target panic as being transitory, but it could be headed in that direction.  I truly believe that if someone with target panic looks hard enough and tries enough different things, they will eventually find something that works.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 07:47:17 PM by McDave »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2022, 07:49:55 PM »
Well said, David. 
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2022, 10:55:23 AM »
What I would recommend is this... When you are hunting, HUNT.  When you are shooting, SHOOT.  When I hunt, I think and analyze and worry about what I may be doing less than ideal on my approach, and worry about concealment, etc.  When I see something that I know I am going to shoot at my heart rate rises like everybody else.  Then right before I pick up the bow I sigh, clear my mind, and focus intently on the SHOT.  I don't think about the animal, or the meal, or anything else other than just making a good shot.  Mentally I am seeing a TARGET, not a wall hanger or something.  I think very intentionally about the mechanics of making a good shot.  Then I continue to mentally follow through the SHOT until I see the arrow hit.  At that point, my SHOT is done and I am back onto hunting where I start noting the reaction of my animal, where it goes, etc.  When I separate the excitement of the hunt from the mechanics of making a good shot I can find myself calm and focused during the shot on almost any class of animal.  Coincidentally I also find I shoot better when I focus on the shooting more than the hunting too.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2022, 12:27:07 PM »
Garrett, nice post. I was able to take a big doe last Thursday. I experienced no target panic on the shot. The only thing i remember about the shot is coming to anchor, following her as she walked and then seeing the arrow disappear. Almost every shot ive ever taken at game has been this way. I know for certain my clicker did not click. But i really don't care as the shot was lethal and she was dead in less than 60 seconds.

Online JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2022, 11:21:00 PM »
I just use a clicker. Works for me. Have had one on my bow for over 30 years

Online bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2022, 02:10:19 PM »
Mine was “cured” by a session with Rob Jenkins.  Breaking the shot into steps gives control back to your conscious brain.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©