3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow advise?  (Read 907 times)

Offline huntman

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow advise?
« on: October 24, 2022, 03:56:05 PM »
I plan on getting a Black Widow bow in a 62". Trying to decide what wound be better to go with a psa ( 16" riser ) longer limbs or a pma ( 18" riser ) with shorter limbs?I have a 28 1/4 draw and will be around 52# give or take a lb. Thanks for any advise.

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow advise?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 04:44:50 PM »
You will find those who prefer both.  Best if you can try one first
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 05:11:04 PM »
Either should work out just fine. It will depend on personal preference.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Online Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 08:18:17 PM »
Give Toby a call and do a test run. You’ll get your money refunded when you return the demo or they just put toward your new bow. The pma with slightly shorter limbs might recover a little quicker, but try for yourself. Widows are awesome bows! Best of luck
Jay
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Offline huntman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 08:56:58 PM »
I have been talking to Roger and did put up the $ for a demo run. I received a psa 62” Friday and like the way it shoots and feels. I still have not shot a pma but just didn’t know the pro”s/con”s between the two risers would perform the best. Roger was was leaning me toured a 60” which I’m still considering.

Online Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 09:21:56 PM »
I run my 60” psa for elk and bear out west and like my 58” pch out of the treestand for whitetails. I’m at 28.5” draw length. Both are sweet shooting, just like to let both bows have some action each year. Shooting the same arrow setup out of both.
Jay
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 11:19:19 PM »

A friend had a PCH and let me shoot it for awhile, in the end I thanked him but sent it back. I bought a MAX  from him instead but sold it after awhile.   I found a PSA and that one seemed to fit me the best. Still have it. It’s 50@28”, 58”.  I was kind of surprised that I liked that length as I had been shooting 62” recurves  and longbows, but this one just feels right. I am right at a 28” draw with this bow.

I originally bought it to use from a blind, but found it to be a nice, stable bow to shoot. 60” would work for me also. Actually I think a 58”, 60” or a 62” would be fine for me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 11:57:29 PM »
I find that a 60” bow is a good compromise for a hunting bow between the stability of a 62” bow and the ease of movement with a 58” bow.

Personally, my favorite Black Widow is a 62” PSA.  Just feels right to me.  The 62” PMA would probably be a tad faster due to the shorter limbs, and possibly a tad more stable because it weighs a little more due to the longer riser.  The 62” PSA seems to draw a little smoother, probably because of the longer limbs.  These differences are very minor between two very fine bows.  If you shot the two side by side, you would no doubt like one better than the other, but it would probably be difficult to say exactly why.

I would say that if you are primarily interested in hunting, then go with the 60”.  If you made that choice, I would definitely pick the PSA, because you are slightly outside of the recommended range for the PMA with your 28.25” draw.  Some might argue with that, but why push it when you don't have to?

If you are equally interested in hunting and target shooting, then go with the 62”.  Either the PMA or the PSA would work fine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 12:16:07 AM »
I dont think the performance is gonna be much difference.Might be splitting hairs thier.

For me it would probably come down to overall mass weight of the bow.I would consider if I was gonna have a quiver on it as well for hunting.A quiver full of arrows is gonna add the the weight of the bow.The PSA has good mass weight for sure.The MA has more.If you wanted a lighter mass weight rig I would go PSA.Kinda nice for holding on stand or moving though the woods.Still dense though.

The MA would win out for me if I wanted more mass weight or felt I needed it for a more stable shot.Might have a slight advantage if you do alot or 3-D  shooting and want that heavier platform in the riser.

Think about it and talk to Black Widow and make a final decision wieghing all options and scenarios of intended use and what you think will fit it into your overall personel preferance in a custom bow. 

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2022, 08:24:32 PM »
I doubt you would find any difference in the two you mentioned. It will come down to what you like the looks of.

I have a MA11 62" 53# and a PSAX 62" 51# and for me they both shoot great and I really can't find where one shoots better or different. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©