3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrewhaven 2022 our first year without Ron(article added pg2/video of 3)  (Read 3629 times)

Offline double eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrewhaven 2022 our first year without Ron
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2022, 10:08:21 AM »
You know you are in the UP when you see all the Stormy Kromers worn.  Great area and photos.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2022, 10:14:52 AM »
Awesome pics Ray!  Thanks for carrying on the tradition and keeping the memory of Ron alive .  Beautiful country and a fine looking group of fellows! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2022, 11:01:48 AM »
MANY MANY Thanks Ray for posting this.  This hunt has been a staple here for almost 2 decades.

I sure miss 'coffee with Ron' every morning here.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2022, 12:33:40 PM »
MANY MANY Thanks Ray for posting this.  This hunt has been a staple here for almost 2 decades.

I sure miss 'coffee with Ron' every morning here.  :campfire:

Terry,
Ron loved chatting with you and of course always bragged about the cigars he got from you!! We’re hoping we can carry on the camp tradition and whether it is at Shrewhaven or something similar Ron’s influences will certainly be present.  At Ron’s memorial shoot at the Great Lakes Longbow Invitational (which Ron founded), I mentioned to the small crowd that one of the biggest things Ron taught our group was having a camp to build tradition and make memories.  It is nice to have a place like Shrewhaven, no doubt, but I’ve seen other hunts like the Tradgang pig hunts in Texas or some of the regional PBS public land bow hunts that have been organized.  The Shrewhaven guys have our own group text chat and we’re chatting about things and sharing accomplishments year round.  Those friendships are what camp is all about.

Thank you all for the kind words.  It’s been an honor to be a part of this thread over the years.  I feel blessed.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2022, 12:51:57 PM »
Ray,

I talked with Ron when he was layed up after his foot surgery...
We talked about getting older, and it being tuffer for me to climb the mountain.
I told him that I'm offered a ride up, but it just doesn't "feel" the same....

Ron told me, "Take the ride Chuck. We do what we gotta do, to do what we gotta do"

I'm sure Ron is watching, and proud of you guys, for "Carrying On" the tradition....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

MSU

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2022, 08:05:48 PM »
Very nice thread, congratulations on another sucessful season.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2022, 07:53:25 AM »
You read my mind Ray....as I was driving down I was thinking about the wolves and Ron...he would have liked to see them this year.

I literally saw more wolves from the treestand than deer. Ray and I kinda split up Banana Ridge, and this year I saw no scrapes, no deer, and plenty of wolves. One of the things though...most years Banana Ridge is covered in acorns. This year they were minimal. So it might not have been entirely the wolves fault.

I slept in a tent this year, just so I had more room for gear. It was super comfortable....the coldest night was 17 degrees and it was cozy in my 3 man tent. I did hear the wolves rallying over a kill Tuesday night, it was Wednesday morning I found the wolf kill very close to my stand spot.

I use a Beast Gear stand, and move every other sit or so...often not far, but enough to keep them guessing and capitalize on sightings or sign. So that day I moved quite aways, actually very (too close) close to the cabin. My theory was that the deer might be closer to the cabin because the wolves weren't . I was right, and started seeing deer, but ran out of time.

It was a great camp, time spent with great friends. Ron LaClair was the topic of conversation most of the time. Lots of laughs, with a little sad thrown in. We have all said goodbye to Ron in our own ways, but being together at camp kinda sealed it up. Vaya Con Dios Lobo.....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2022, 08:11:54 AM »
I slept in Lobo’s Lair with Greg Nicolaou, the small cabin with the front porch that was added to camp a few years after we moved the cabin to the property.  The Lair gave Ron a little more room for his gear and handicap access with the ramp and covered porch.  Greg had to leave a day early and Roger moved in to the Lair with me so he could break down the tent and have it packed before the morning departure.  I will say Roger is like a church mouse roommate after Greg.  We nicknamed Ron ‘sleeps like thunder’ during the early 1990’s camps.  Well, either the ghost of Ron was present or we have Thunder Jr. now.   :biglaugh:

Offline MGH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2022, 03:26:45 PM »
This is definitely what it is all about!  I realize this more and more as I get older.  It's not about the inches of antler or tagging out every year, it's about the memories of those who came before us, and those who will spin tales after we are gone. 

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2022, 03:47:46 PM »
So happy to see this thread and read it!!!  I have been waiting for it, I just got back from a mini hunt at my best friends cabin in Ohio that I helped him build in 2020. So glad you all can keep the tradition going for Ron!! The memories made then and now will be cherished by you all for years to come. I have read this thread for years but this question has never really hit me until now, after reading through everything and looking at all the pictures, I got to wondering what brought you all together as The Shrewhaven crew?  How did you all become part of this legacy? I am really curious about how you all met Ron, and became part of his hunting camp.  I think there is a really good story behind the scenes here.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2022, 10:03:05 PM »
Jason,
I just did an article for Compton’s Traditional Bowhunter that was in the last quarterly magazine that outlined some of the history. Also, I penned a couple of articles for Traditional Bowhunter Magazine (one about ten years ago and one about two years ago about the history of the camp). 

Ray

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2022, 04:59:00 AM »
Thanks Ray for keeping alive Ron’s cabin stories. For sure everyone here is missing Ron that I consider one of the icons of our sport. Keep the tradition alive.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrewhaven 2022 our first year without Ron(article added pg2)
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2022, 08:33:42 AM »
I realized kind of a sad thing as we were discussing last years season. Ron was in pretty weak shape, and I was avoiding the conversation about driving him to camp. I didn't think he should go...but as I was thoroughly enjoying the bear season at ShrewHaven (with my son) I felt guilty, drove to town, and called Ron. I told him if all that was holding him back was a ride, I would drive him. I told him to discuss it with his kids, and his Doctor, but I would drive him up if he felt like it would be ok.

The ride up was fine. I could tell he was weaker than normal, but he was otherwise the same old Ron. When we arrived in camp, everyone was out hunting. Ron settled in while I unloaded gear. He had a new bow and arrow combination he wanted to try out, so I set up his stool on the porch of Lobos's Lair and he shot 3 arrows. I thought that drawing the bow was too much for him. I noticed an immediate change to his demeanor.

It all went kinda sideways from there, and I ended up driving him home 2 days later. His son met me, and Ron's health really fell off from there. I have always felt guilty about driving him up....I think it was all too much for him.

Which is a long story to say that I believe that I retrieved Rons last 3 arrows. I don't say that as a brag, but just a sad note to our last camp with Ron.  I hope I am wrong, but I don't think he was able to shoot after that. He did recover enough to go turkey hunting in the spring with his double barrel.

Sledge
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2022, 10:39:23 AM »
You bet Ray.  I'm still here reading and reminiscing, and I flipped your pics for you above.

Thanks to all that are posting here, please bring more, stories, laughter, and even sad. 

After paying for Tradgang myself for over two years, and after the 3rd server update we had to move to our own server - a Super Server - that couldn't be shared with anyone else. The fees were just too high with a wife and two girls to raise for me to keep financing it.  So, we had to incorporate a Sponsorship program and Ron call me immediately upon my post requesting for said and asked 'Where do I send the Money'.  Same thing when we incorporated banners, he was the 1st.  So, its also sad that there is no Shrew Sponsorship here nor a banner any longer.

But as we all know, Ron is not, was not, nor will ever be defined just by his bow line.

I have to run, but I'll come back and chat a bit about meeting him at his shop years ago in Potterville.

Again, thanks to all for posting as Ron was definitely a corner stone here.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2022, 03:22:39 PM »
MAN.it would be an honor to be part of this..thanks for sharing...

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2022, 07:59:35 PM »
The longer this thread gets, the better it gets. So far this is the best tribute I think you guys could give Ron. Kudos! :thumbsup: :campfire:
Aim small,miss small

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2022, 09:33:54 PM »
Always loved the pix of everyone sitting around inside the cabin under lantern light. I was hoping to do something similar after I first moved to Alberta w a friends Bear Camp. Then the Outfitters and Guides got organized.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©