3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who totes a hatchet for hunting?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline PigStikker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who totes a hatchet for hunting?
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
I actually hunt with a hatchet and carry my bow for backup or if I can't get close enough.   :D

Matt
Form and Focus

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
Two things I wouldn't be without in the woods, my knife and my Hawk.    :knothead:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Green Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
I got a shrew hawk from Ron last year and man i love it.  (thanks again Ron!)  i was trying to put a sheath on my quiver like ole blackhawk (beautiful quiver by the way)  but i ended up making a belt sheath and i've carried it several times.  did a rabbit hunt last weekend and i never used the hawk but it is so light i never knew it was there.  i use it all the time doing chores etc... and used it last year to scrape a hide out in no time.  it is with me all the time  :)

Kyle

"Everything the power of the world does it does in a circle." -Black Elk

Offline sparkyflint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »
pigsticker-I think Tred Barta wants to have a talk with you!
"make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind you're own business, and to work with your hands... so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody"

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
Hey Blackhawk I love the MacGyver quiver. Great idea!  What weight leather is that?  It looks kinda floppy, but in a good way.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »
I go back and forth between a ShrewHawk and a BIG Natchez Bowie. I use a large heavy blade for chopping more than anything else...a deer's pelvis, brushing in a blind, etc.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Tony Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
I carry this sometimes.

Tony Phillips
“What we do in life echoes in eternity”

56" Striker Stinger
52" Saluki Scythian
54" Saluki Turk

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »
I bought one of the small Firestorm hand axes last year.It is very light weight and will drop in the bottom of a day pack or fanny pack if you don't want to wear it on your belt.Not much for chopping firewood but comes shaving sharp and is easy to keep that way.Works great for getting a dead animal skinned out,cut up and into bags.While not heavy it is sharp enough a two handed push will go though the pelvis of whitetails with no problem.I bought it on sale for $20 and it is one of those things where you know the money was well spent.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
Ever consider a "smatchet" type tool? More of a cleaver on steroids type knife but theyre compact and work great.I have a Smith and Wesson bullseye that was given to me and its a solid tool.

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
What is the best method to sharpen a tomahawk? I have always used a whetstone (flat) but have heard that a round stone works well.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
I use a wetterling hunter hatchet, but have been eyeing the hawks in the latest Cabelas catalog.  Might be a waste of twenty bucks, might not...

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
I bought a cheapo hatchet and ground the blade with my dremel tool, to use for field dressing.  For the other chores I use a Corona machete, which came in very handy in scraping hide, as well as chopping wood, making kindling, etc.
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
Gerber makes a hatchet which I have found quite handy for blazing trails, building ground blinds etc. I carried it with me on a Alaskan Moose hunt thinking that it might come in handy. It did, but unfortunatly not on dismantling a moose. I also have a Knives of Alaska Brown Bear skinner that I would highly recommend.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Here is what I carry. Made by Rick Evans.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
i often carry a hawk, allways carry a long knife or bowie. have always loved a good hawk and they are very useful. Skillet from this site makes a nice railroad spike hawk that i carry a lot. also a good friend of mine made a very unique hawk that i take along often. as far as survival if i had to chhose it would be a toss up between a big bowie and a good hawk. heres a couple pic's of my hawk built by a friend.

I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
I had a beautiful throwing hawk and sold it several years back because at the time, I never used it or thought I ever would.  It is one of the biggest "wish I'd have kept that"s that I have.  This past hunting season, I bought a very cheap hawk to take deer hunting.  I thought I would use it for brushing out ground blinds and hopefully split a deer pelvis.  No joy on the latter, but it did come in useful for clearing shooting lanes and it came in handy unexpectedly when I had to use it as a hook to grab a branch that I could not reach when I stepped around an obstacle on the edge of a steep drop off.  I will probably carry one most of the time from my experiences last season.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
I carry a mouse hawk while hunting. It comes in real handy at times and is light weight.

I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
I carry a double bit belt axe made by Lee Reeves Bladesmith.  If you google "Lee Reeves Bladesmith", you can see pictures of his axes.  He also makes a single blade belt axe as well as knives.  The double bit is modeled after Nessmuk (George Washington Sears), who in the late 1800's wrote about traveling by canoe in the Adirondacks.  He believed in traveling light.  Plumb (see cooperhandtools.com) also makes a single bit Hunter's belt axe that weighs 1.25 lb.  Snow and Nealley, Bangor, ME makes a "young camper's belt axe - 15 inch handle weighing 1.25 lbs. (see: snowandnealley.com).  Both the Plumb and Snow and Nealley axes come with sheaths as does Lee Reeve's axes.  I also like to carry a saw.  I used to carry a Gerbers but now carry a Turbo Cut Camp Saw (6 oz. - 7 inch blade -- with sheath).  It is easily accomodated in my fanny pack.  It's available from the Voyageur Trading Post (Boundary Waters Journal) -- boundarywatersjournal.com.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Wasn't there a thread a year or two ago about these fighting type hatchets that a trad ganger had or sold  they were  made  for Special Forces in NAM?Any body? Yeh one of those or a  Shrew Hawk would be something I would carry after reading that wolf/moose thread WOOOO FAAAA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©