3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One less groundhog!  (Read 367 times)

Offline Keith361

• Trad Bowhunter
One less groundhog!
« on: May 09, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
Finally got this guy after 3 weeks of trying to put the sneak on him.

I managed to stalk up to 10 yards to him, thank you concealing brush, before he spotted me and started running back to the woodline. I was able to get the bow up and a quick shot off, CRACK! Hit him right in the head!

At first I was pretty amazed with myself, chest was starting to swell, as well as my ego. Next thing I see is this thing running towards me! I couldn't believe it, I'm shooting with 36o grains up front, a head shot, and this things still running at me.

Second arrow out of the pocket and a hit on the spine right below his head and lights out.

I've always heard how tough the whistle pigs are, but I've never had any problem planting on until today. Thought I was going to have to fix bayonets!

Anyway, the Groundhog season has officially started for me!
Now if I can just keep them out of my garden...

Keith
"If there must be trouble then let it be in my day, that my children may live in peace."   Thomas Paine
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddeling up anyway"
John Wayne

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One less groundhog!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
Way to go Keith - one moving target shot and one self defense shot - congrats!

I had a similar experience this evening - finally getting a shot at a garden raider that was making a home under the front deck.  You are right when you say they are tough critters.  But now I am with you - groundhog season has officially started.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Keith361

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
I was suprised I was able to get as close to him as I did considering my camo...

Keith
"If there must be trouble then let it be in my day, that my children may live in peace."   Thomas Paine
John Wayne

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
thems any good  fer eatin'?

Offline Keith361

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
Sorry mods, can you edit the title to "with pics"?

Thanks,
Keith
John Wayne

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
Keith - That's the old "casual predator" camo,  They think you are out for a stroll.  Fools 'em most of the time.

Chris O - I've eaten them some and they can be o.k. with proper field care and prep.  A little on the greasy side when dressing and skinning.  I don't use too many of them myself anymore but there are three turkey vultures enjoying the one I shot right now.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Congrats!   But I think you'd be better off using BH's for woodchucks bud
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 07:00:00 AM »
Congrats on the Chuck!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
Nice shootin
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
yew,them things deserve broadheads,and sometimes it takes two of them on a big one.as for eating,if fixed right they are the "BEST" of the wild game to eat in my opinion.
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline Keith361

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
I had been using the G5 SMG head on the ones I shot last year and never had a problem planting them where they were standing.

This year since I have gone to a more FOC arrow I might have to come up with soemthing tht will work as well.

I'm not the best at sharpening broadheads so I have a problem with using the ones that I do manage to get sharp on groundhogs.

Guess I better get my sharpening skills touched up, then go after them with the real deal.

As for eating them, I've heard some people like them, but the meat is rather greasy, I personally haven't ever tried any.

Casual predator camo, that's a good one Duane, might have to use that from now on.

Keith
John Wayne

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »
The other day- I ran into a good yellow bellied marmot spot; they are the out west ground hogs; except we call them 'rock chucks'.

I used to be an avid groundhog hunter; and man it was fun to put the stalk on the rock chuck!

Ground hog hunting is really a great hunt! If your stalking ;or sitting in a chair next to a den or whatever- its an accomplishment to get one!

That woodchuck in the picture is not a mature chuck; they get way bigger; and when you do get a shot at a BIG one - I think Guru is right; you need a broadhead. I have shot with identical setups for ground hogs; deer; elk and bear; and the groundhogs are denser or something; because I don't recall a pass through on a big woodchuck; but I have had pass throughs on elk and deer and elk on a regular basis.

I use a 'mill ba$tard' file; a 10 or 12 inch; and keep mind of keeping each side of my broadheads on the same angle. Its worth getting good at; and I got good woodchuck hunting!!

You miss; sharpen the head up- and keep hunting.

Congrats on the shot and kill ! I really highly rate these critters for difficulty of hunting and killing !!!

( and anti hunting vegetarians will often WANT you to kill the sprout eaters !!)
   :D  

if you don't eat them; I bet you can find someone that will  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
Good shooting Keith!

I got my first one of the season the other day. He should have ducked one more time.  :)

And just when I was feeling like a killing machine, I proceded to miss two yesterday. Groundhogs sure keep you humble.

There is nothing more fun than hunting sod poodles with a stickbow!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 06:23:00 AM »
Nice shooting   :thumbsup:  Curt is right about the broadheads for chucks, they are tough critters.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Way to hang in there  :thumbsup:
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
" thought I was going to have to fix bayonets "
Now thats funny, I don't care who you are!  Biff
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Offline LURP DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
Congrats on the whistle pig!  They can be a lot of fun to hunt!
GREAT looking bow too! Who's it by, if you don't mind me asking!
"there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun."
FRED BEAR

Offline Keith361

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
Thanks Dave, the bow is a Bamboo Caribou made by Alaska Penninsula 55@28. I love this bow, but haven't been able to get any more ino on the company that made it. I did see one on the auction sight on time but it was 70#@26, bit to short for me.
Here's a pic with the skinn eze.

I would love to find another one.

Keith
John Wayne

Offline LURP DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
She's a beauty!  I think the bows were made by Mike Carrol.  His partner/buddy, Gary Olsen has a web site bowhuntingvideos.net that you maybe able to get in contact with him to check with Mike.
 Email me at [email protected] so we can discuss a possible 2nd bow for ya.

DAVID
"there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun."
FRED BEAR

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©