3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ghillie suits for turkeys?  (Read 473 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
ghillie suits for turkeys?
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
I have just started trying for turkeys with my recurve.  I appreciate the value of the blind, but do not like the closed in feeling ( I love the spring mornings and feel cut off in the blind).  I also dislike the lack of mobility if a tom is not cooperating. So I am trying to find a way to allow me to "run and arrow".  Has anyone used ghillie type suits?  Are they effective enough to avoid detection in woods settings long enough to get the bird in range?
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline JWD in VA.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ghillie suits for turkeys?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Hello there Maine, hunted this spring turkey season with the ghillie. Managed to call one within 4 yds. to my set up on the ground. Was set up for a shot to my left and at the last possible moment, the gobbler saw something not right and cam around the tree to my right. Gillie suit and all, he knew something was not OK and he took off a running. You need to re-think your idea of a  " run and arrow " type of a shot. 99% chance it will never happen. Sit still and call slowly, be ready for anything and maybe that ole spring turkey will be the one to make the mistake.

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
As long as you don't move your bow, you can get'em in real close. But making that move to take the shot,  :banghead:  "Goodbye"!
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
I use a ghilly while hunting deer from the ground. Last fall, on a half dozen occasions, I had seven turkeys inside of ten yards from where I was sitting inside a blow down. I never made any move so I never spooked them.(figured if I spooked the birds I might spook deer in the area too)
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
Running with a nocked arrow?   :scared:  Not a good idea!
That being said, the only turkey I ever got was that way. If you chose to do so, definitely don't try to shoot while you are running. Ambush, get close (2-3 yds or so), spook them bad enough that they run straight away from you, stay calm, and shot at moving target. Possible? yes. Easy?   "[dntthnk]"

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »
nobody said anything about actually running. It was just a play on words he was using.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 04:30:00 AM »
The answer is YES.  I pulled it off this year at 8 yards.

Gary Logsdon

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
thanks smilicon, it was a play on words of "run and gun" style hunting where you moe a lot and then set up once you strike a hot bird.  Which was tough with a blind and the reluctant gobbler I had to move on multiple times.  Also thanks for the other well intentioned replies.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline selfbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
The ghillie suit will work great but match the materials to your surroundings. I hunt a lot of pastures, for my turkeys, so the burlap color works great, but when I move into the timber I have to use some green filler, grass or leaves. Just try to set up so when he comes in something is between you and him when you draw. Glenn

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by smilinicon:
nobody said anything about actually running. It was just a play on words he was using.
Oh!!!     :knothead:  
It's dangerous and it doesn't work.

Gillie suits do work. Here's an old photo (2006) for your motivation - and my bragging rights.   :D  

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
Pretty good mountain man impression you had going there, Aram...  :bigsmyl:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
joebuck added a good screen in the form of an artificial wreath to the bow thus helping conceal movement on drawing.  My Martha Stewart Bow & Ghillie suit...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
Thanks again.  That wreath on your Martha Stewart bow looks like a great idea.  creates a visual block tothe draw.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
Aram, where did all that hair come from!? you look like you just climbed out of a cave!    :eek:    :D
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
I tried it this past weekend and learned some lessons.  In order to have much hope of actually drawing on a turkey you need to try to set up with some large trees for them to walk behind and have shooting lanes cleared out.  I hadn't prepared any spots ahead of time, and discovered that good set ups are few and far between in my woods.  Never where you need them when a turkey is gobbling!

For future hunts I will set up spots ahead of time with brushed in spots to sit and shooting lanes trimmed.  Ghillie suits are good, but I can still stick out like a sore thumb in one!  "[dntthnk]"  

To make a long story short, I called three longbeards in to within 20 yards, but they got nervous either from me or the decoys and circled away from me.  Even if they had continued in I have no idea how I might have been able to draw with three of them so close.  Have to hope for a single gobbler next time!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
They work great...now if I could get the shooting to work, humm.  My setup is a ghillie jacket with hood (like whip's pic) with leafy pants..also like whip's and a leafy face mask.  I sewed some shoot thru netting across the eye holes in the face mask...for really close encounters, the eys are a dead give away..a turkey can and will see you blink.  This setup will allow you to look directly at the turkey and slowly turn your head...now all ya got to do is draw the bow.  Running and bowing is absolutly the most fun way to turkey hunt.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
Yes, they work but make sure all the strands on your bow arm are out of the way. Ask me how I know.    :banghead:

Offline Bowman0202

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
Your yellow feathers are what really stick out. They'll give you away every time.
IBEP Instructor

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
Joe some dark feathers and some leafy wear tape on your bow will help out a bunch for ya bud.....and yeah,I think you need some more underbrush for a more effective set up.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Definately dark feathers.I had a "Sure Thing" go bust last week because of autumn orange barred feathers which I thought wouldnt bother the birds.3 longbeards racing into me through the brush started putting right before they cleared the last bush to my shooting lane.I was of course camoed head to toe except for those damn feathers and I have a strong suspiscion that thats what got me busted.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©