3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question on ILF Limbs  (Read 809 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Question on ILF Limbs
« on: November 12, 2022, 08:39:34 AM »
Once you tighten/bottom out the limbs, how many turns do you need to loosen them back out?
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question on ILF Limbs
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 09:41:46 AM »
Once you tighten/bottom out the limbs, how many turns do you need to loosen them back out?

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Normally, when the limbs are fully tightened or bottomed out, that means they are set for the maximum poundage possible with that set of limbs.  From my experience, that is also the quietest position to use.  If you want a different tiller, you back out one or the other limb bolt until you reach the tiller you want.  In my experience, this usually takes less than one full turn.  If you want to reduce poundage, you back out both limb bolts an equal amount of turns, until you reach the highest position allowable for that riser.  This position varies from riser to riser, so it is difficult to give a rule of thumb.  But the instructions that come with every riser I have seen state something like “don't loosen the limb bolts past X” which is usually when the top of the limb reaches some designated point on the riser.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 10:52:13 AM »
Thanks...for some reason I didn't think you could completely tighten the limbs all the way down :banghead:
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 12:06:45 PM »
I’ve seen some non-ILF adjustable bows where that is true, but in my experience the best position to shoot an ILF bow is bottomed out, assuming you are okay with the poundage and tiller at that position.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »
Agree with McD, alto my experience is "nominal".  I might add that if you want to reduce the draw weight and back off the bolts, I believe one set of instructions I saw recommended leaving a minimum of 5 to 6 bolt threads imbedded.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 01:01:18 PM »
Someone pointed out to me that there are some ILF risers where the limb bolts can be screwed in past the recommended settings.  An example is the TradTech Trident where the minimum setting of the limb bolt for maximum poundage is where the bottom of the limb bolt is 5/8” off the surface of the riser, and the maximum setting of the limb bolt for minimum poundage is where the bottom of the limb bolt is 3/4” off the surface of the riser.  Sorry I didn't know that when I responded to you earlier.

Most instruction manuals for production bows are available free on the internet, which is where I found out the information on the Trident, or if not, the bowyer should know.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 03:03:02 PM »
Maybe you were thinking you might damage the limbs tightening them down? If I recall manufacturers say not to over tighten the bolts. I usually stop tightening when bolt stops. I don’t crank on the bolt. I then back off 1 turn for safety sake. I am the rare guy, I like even tiller so that’s all I do except to measure and confirm.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 06:16:26 PM »
I have read several times on other sites not to bottom out an ilf rig, may bind the bushings. I like to start 1/2-1 turn out from bottom and then adjust tiller. Then adjust poundage if needed
shoot straight shoot often

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 06:29:55 PM »
I also like even tiller. I bottom them out, then back off 1/2 - 1 full turn then check tiller and adjust.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©