3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow selection  (Read 669 times)

Offline edward.penny2022

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow selection
« on: November 16, 2022, 08:59:14 AM »
Wood, carbon, or aluminum? Which do you use and why? I’m trying to make my mind up which to use and can’t figure it out. Which is easier to tune and work with?

Offline rustyspike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow selection
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 09:29:10 AM »
I would start with aluminum. Easy to take care of and fix.

I shot Aluminum and  Wood. I do not see the reason to spend the extra $ on Carbon.

Rich K.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 09:40:46 AM »
I've shot them all. And they all have their pros and cons. I started with Carbon. It's expensive but durable. Aluminum is my favorite, its cheap, fairly durable and perfectly straight and easy to make heavy because it's already heavy. I went through a faze where I thought it would be fun and cool to shoot wood because they're the most "traditional" and they are cool, but not very durable in my opinion and not always straight, they're pretty finicky in my opinion. I once shot a group of wood arrows at a 3d target that was wobbly and it fell on my arrows and snapped them all.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 09:43:19 AM »
Carbon is the most durable. Even though it's a bit more expensive than the rest, it lasts longer.  Aluminum bends, wood breaks. The price of wood arrows has gone up substantially in recent years such that aluminum is now probably the least expensive. 

I shoot wood and carbon, but it's a personal preference thing.  They all work.  And any decision you make isn't irreversible. Start with what appeals to you.  Can always change.  Most folks eventually try all three before arriving at a favorite.   

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 10:57:42 AM »
Carbon is the most durable. Even though it's a bit more expensive than the rest, it lasts longer.  Aluminum bends, wood breaks. The price of wood arrows has gone up substantially in recent years such that aluminum is now probably the least expensive. 

I shoot wood and carbon, but it's a personal preference thing.  They all work.  And any decision you make isn't irreversible. Start with what appeals to you.  Can always change.  Most folks eventually try all three before arriving at a favorite.
Yes yes and yes to this^^^...home is where the heart is  :thumbsup:

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 12:06:40 PM »
I've shot em all, I use carbon a lot, used to use aluminum not much anymore no real reason why there the straightest, I only hunt with hickory, toughest most durable shaft in IMHO.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 12:15:12 PM »
Carbon is not necessarily more expensive. For less than $70 you can buy a dozen Easton 6.5 carbon shafts. Occasionally you can find them on sale from vendors here on TradGang for around $60. These shafts replaced the old Beman bowhunter shafts and I've found them to be an excellent shaft.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©