3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve vs Longbow  (Read 998 times)

Offline Dutch152

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve vs Longbow
« on: May 09, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
I shoot an old Fred Bear Polar (47# @ 28"). I've never had a problem with it and it shoots great.

However, I've been eyeing a couple of longbows but I've never even drawn one yet.

So, in your opinion which, in terms of drawing and accuracy is the easiest to shoot, the recurve or the longbow?

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve vs Longbow
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
Dutch,
I am new (again) at shooting traditional bows, and in the last several months, have bought and had the opportunity to shoot both recurve and longbows owned by friends who are trying to help me. I have found that I am a longbow shooter. What I have been told is, that a longbow, having narrower and thicker limbs are more forgiving of bad form and a bad release. I'm not saying don't try to strive for the best form you can possibly have, but in the case of a mistake, a longbow will, in a way, compensate for it. I saw a video of a recurve being shot in slow motion and the wide, thin limbs look like a ribbon going forward! All of that movement is transferred to the arrow causing erratic arrow flight, the same video showed a long bow, (not a hybrid reflex-deflex) and the limbs went forward after the release in a pretty much straight line giving the arrow a more stable launch.
My two longbows are hybrid reflex-deflex and they are so much fun to shoot! (Even with my target panic and lousy release! LOL,)
I'm too new to really offer an expert opinion, but for what it is worth from one new guy to another. You'll get a lot more expert opinions soon! I'd say try to find a way to shoot a longbow and compare it to the way your recurve feels! I guess it is all person preference, alot of shooters have both
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
The best bow is the one in your hand!
These posts remind me of when I was a kid growing up on a farm. The best tractor was the one your dad had.
Its all personel just have fun with it!!

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Exactly Roger!
I love recurves, the look, and smoothness, I just wish I could shoot them well. It is a good thing I can't, my wife would kill me if I buy another bow anytime soon (By the way, my dads John Deere can outpull your dad's Massey- Ferguson anyday!)
How are things in Grand Junction? I used to live in Rifle and really miss tha area!
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
The thing to check is the grip.  If you like the grip on your Bear look for one with a similar grip.  If you want to shoot with Howard Hill form you would prefer a lower or straight grip.  I have no opinion on the exact limb shape.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Most guys that make bows can give you the grip you want, I have longbow, and a recurve, they both have the style of grip that put your hand in the same place, and once I found out "my problems" I shoot both in the same.

Just enjoy shooting.

And don't sweat the small stuff " it's all small stuff" until we get an attitude and make bigger !

Pastor Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
On the same note the longer the bows limbs are the slower they move at release and all that slop (ribbon effect) is minimized.  

Truly though if done an experiment and a number of bows were machine shot for accuracy.  All of them would shoot the same.  Even wheelies.

At least this is what I heard at Anderson Archery back before they closed their doors.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
I have three bows, two recurves and one longbow. Other than the difference in poundage, I shoot them all about the the same. One of the recurves and the longbow have the same style grip, which makes it easy to switch between the two. The longbow draws smoother, but that may be more due to limb material and lower poundage than anything else. Which ever bow fits your hand and your eye, will be the easiest to shoot.

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
Talk about opening up a Big fat can o worms....
It's a personal thing....
 Ya migh as well ask which is sexier, Blonde, Brunet, or a Red head....
 Luv them all....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
Longbows are just COOL... glad I could clear that up for ya... :)   :wavey:    :clapper:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
I like the fact that a long bow does not slap the string onto the bow when shooting like a recurve does and therefore is inherently quieter.
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
There is something about the longbow that just appeals to me......(especially the r/d ones).
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
I'm a recurve shooter, but I did pick up (bought) a long bow recently. Fellow Tradgangers all mentioned in various threads how much fun this particular make of bow was to shoot. I like fun!

It is indeed a fun bow to shoot, & wouldn't hesitate to hunt any critter with it. Much easier to string than my heavily curved-tipped recurves!

I've not yet met a bow that can shoot worse than I can, so I feel accuracy is the archer's job.

I suggest finding a bow that appeals to you, feels good in your hand, has a smooth draw & designed for your draw length & draw weight.

Then just fling some quills & have some fun!
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
All seriousness, Longbows are #1 more forgiving , by that on little things in shooting a bow. Less finger pinch , because its longer. Having said that , test drive before ya buy, shoot some...  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
A lot of it is in the bow itself. You might pick up an ill designed longbow, get handshock that sends you to the dentist to replace fillings and swear longbows are terrible. And in the future pass on longbows that are every bit as good shooting as a recurve. Or you can pickup a recurve that is also ill designed and swear off them too. Gotta shoot some of both and make up your own mind really. Personally I have pretty much settled into a couple of recurves that I shoot well and one longbow that I shoot well.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
I recently picked up a Hill style long bow after shooting recurve for the last 12 yrs. I love this bow and it shots better then any bow I've ever shot.  I do find though; to shoot it well, I have to concentrate on my form more then I did with my recurves. That's a good thing.    :archer:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Okay, first depends on the person.  I love shooting a Longbow, but do not shoot it well.  However, I pick-up a recurve and bam, will put arrows in a skoal can all day long.  It is a struggling thing, but I will still keep trying to learn to master the longbow.  I feel it is the personal physique, character and moral's that decide.  I mean anyone can master one or the other, but time and effort needs put in them.
They both have there plus and minus, and heros and failables.  I will shoot a longbow and try to master it till it comes time to shoot at and animal, at which point I know my limitation for now and will grab my recurve out of respect and ethical obligation to that critter.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
I started out shooting longbows, and never noticed the hand shock till the other day. I have been shooting my recurve exclusively for about 3 months then the other day I picked up my Hill to give that a try again, wow that was a rude awakening! Now I'm thinking about pedaling one of those and a few others to finance a new Bob Lee recurve, recurves might be loader and a bit finicky but there faster and i can group better with them, but that is just me you might be different. You will be better served to shoot some and see for yourself.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline timthefuelman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
Vern, I have 5 bows right now and will probaly have another one shortly. Rodger said it as well as anyone could. Mine range in retail from $595 to $1500 and the one I shoot best happens to be the $595 because it feels like that "old shoe" each time I pick it up.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Dutch152:
... So, in your opinion which, in terms of drawing and accuracy is the easiest to shoot, the recurve or the longbow?
Yer asking impossible questions for which there are no universal answers.

Asking opinions about longbows is almost counterproductive to understanding how such bows will physically affect you.

You need to experiment with longbows on yer own, try out as many as you can.  There are good and not-so-good stickbows of both the recurve and longbow types, so don't let one bad apple spoil it all for ya.  

There are three basic types of longbows, and each has its own inherent pros/cons ...

Classic Hill-style with straight or slightly reflexed limbs, braced "D" shape.

Classic mild R/D style, braced "D" shape.

Modern hybrid aggressive R/D style, braced "neo-recurve" shape.

In yer best interests towards understanding longbows, you should try them all ... shoots and events are the perfect arenas for messing with all manner of stickbows.

Good luck!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©