3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blinds - shoot-thru windows or no??  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
Blinds - shoot-thru windows or no??
« on: November 18, 2022, 09:04:47 AM »
So, as I age I find myself in the trees less & less and I've really come to enjoy the "freedom" ground hunting the last years. I primarily use natural cover and my Waldrop, but I also own a Hidden Hunter blind that I will set up for the last (COLD) month of the Minnesota season. Haven't used it much to date and just wondering what you guys with more experience think of using shoot-thru windows vs open windows...
I'm guessing using the shoot-thru windows offer more concealment, but I worry about the potential effects on arrow flight and a bad shot on any animal.
Looking forward to your real-life experiences.
Randy

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blinds - shoot-thru windows or no??
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 09:22:05 AM »
I do not think that shoot thru screens have an effect on arrow flight. That being said, for me they have a pretty significant effect on depth perception and therefore my shots with them have not always been ideal. I will try and screen everythere but my shooting lanes and keep everything sealed and dark inside and minimize movement.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 09:54:13 AM »
i used to use the shoot thru screens.  It messed with my depth perception, messed up a couple of shots, and ended up developing a case of target panic. That was years ago. Now i keep non shooting windows screened but leave my front window free and clear.  i sit in the dark in one of the corners and haven't had a problem since! Good luck and there's nothing like being 5 yards or less from an animal that doesn't know you are there.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 10:26:17 AM »
Like others  have said, I've shot through the mesh without any deflection but prefer open windows. I mainly use blinds for Antelope and turkey but this year started deer hunting with one and had it in place for a month ahead of time so the deer were use to it. 2 open windows.

Bisch

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 10:58:52 AM »
I’ve shot 100’s of animals thru mesh. The only time I have ever had the mesh screw a shot up was when I tried to take a shot at a severe angle to the mesh. I had a fletch catch on the mesh and screw up the arrow flight. I learned from it, and don’t take that severe angle shot anymore. I hunt almost exclusively out of blinds and have mesh in the windows of all of them. The biggest detractors  to the mesh is that it cuts out about 10 minutes of shooting time and for some folks it messes with their depth perception. I like the freedom to be able to move more without being picked off. You still can’t make noise though, as they will hear that and spook.

It will work either way, but I prefer with the mesh in the windows.

Bisch

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 11:33:18 AM »
Fixed heads I've had no flight issues.  I've had a blade trip open on a mechanical once.  My issue is depth perception as mentioned. It messes with focus point for me.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 12:04:13 PM »
I’ve shot 100’s of animals thru mesh. The only time I have ever had the mesh screw a shot up was when I tried to take a shot at a severe angle to the mesh. I had a fletch catch on the mesh and screw up the arrow flight. I learned from it, and don’t take that severe angle shot anymore. I hunt almost exclusively out of blinds and have mesh in the windows of all of them. The biggest detractors  to the mesh is that it cuts out about 10 minutes of shooting time and for some folks it messes with their depth perception. I like the freedom to be able to move more without being picked off. You still can’t make noise though, as they will hear that and spook.

Bisch

Bisch, do you put a drop of super glue on each ends of the fletch?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 12:07:27 PM »

Bisch

Good observations - and I agree with this. I shoot through the nets Always. Great confidence in not getting picked off. Funny I have packed up and while heading out thought ooops I left too soon LOL. I haven't shot hundreds though - around 10 just these past few years.
<><
<------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Bisch

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 01:17:39 PM »

Bisch

Bisch, do you put a drop of super glue on each ends of the fletch?

Not super glue, but I always put a drop of Fletchtite Platinum on the forward and rear tips of my feathers.

Bisch

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 05:46:28 PM »
I have shot some and too prefer shooting through the mesh.  No issues other than some depth perception as has been mentioned. :archer2:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 06:14:32 PM »
Good Bisch, I've had a coupe of feathers come off while blasting through biggish hogs. I super glue first, then add a drop of fletch tight.  Haven had one come off since
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 07:05:09 PM »
I dont like to shoot thru the mesh my son always does he uses Simmons Tiger Sharks and doesnt have a problem . I have a box blind that I taped cling wrap over the windows to keep the cold winter wind out but I think that it had some deflection . At least that was my excuse when I missed a buck.

Offline Kevin W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 07:59:04 PM »
I’ve had several type of blinds snd always take the mesh out. It has created depth perception issues as mentioned but I’ve also noticed it makes it harder to tell waht may a little further out in the woods. It also messes with my view through binoculars.
Never noticed any problems with arrow flight when I get curious and try them again.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 01:54:42 PM »
I much prefer the advantages that mesh offers.

Have taken 34 turkeys and many deer as  well as two  yotes and a bobcat shooting thru mesh.

>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 08:00:16 PM »
We have hunted out of Xenek ground blinds for the past three seasons. I do not like the mesh, so we leave it in the bag. Here are some of our experiences. Non rut, new blind placement equals deer altering their paths by 10 - 20 yards to go around the blind. Its funny, but not funny to watch whitetail's reactions as they see the blind inside of 10 yards and realize that it wasnt there yesterday afternoon. Come back to that same blind seven to ten days later, and they act like it has always been there (including mature bucks). Rut, new bucks (all ages) to the area pay it no attention. We rarely, if ever, get picked off moving. With that said, here is how we set it up. We leave all back windows closed, and side windows at peek out only ( no shooting ability). The front window is open with a shooting lane in the front only. We have shot five whitetails (including 2 mature bucks) the past three seasons with this setup. Also, when it gets cold, we take a heat buddy propane stove in the blind to keep warm. Hope this helps. Side note, all of these experiences with blinds have been on private property. We do not take them in or set them up on the public properties we hunt.
Regular PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©