3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: State Game Laws you'd like to see altered or removed  (Read 4879 times)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: State Game Laws you'd like to see altered or removed
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2022, 12:27:10 PM »
Another thought that's been on my mind is why is baiting for Turkey unacceptable? As long as the population is strong why is it any different than deer?

I’d like to clear up my posts as well…and your post buckeye will help

It may very well have sounded like I am advocating for baiting and think baiting is on par with other methods of hunting…and that’s not the case
Baiting definitely gives some advantages…not guarantees but advantages

All I’m saying is I wish that baiting was not so species specific… And I wish that baiting wasn’t viewed in such a negative light for other species. I don’t believe that baiting should be allowed all day every day, but I do believe that if you’re allowed to bait for hogs, Whitetail deer and exotics, you should be able to bait for all other species and not be viewed as a sub-par hunter simply because you’re using that tactic on a species that traditionally hasn’t been hunted using bait…like Turkey, mule deer, elk, etc.

You mentioned something earlier about some animals like bears being allowed to hunt over bait, because of how difficult or nearly impossible it is for them to be killed with a bow without the use of bait… If that was the case, then why can’t you bait for rocky mountain bighorn sheep, dall sheep, moose or other species, who can be nearly impossible to get with a bow and are once in a lifetime hunts in some states…imagine what people would say if you killed a bighorn sheep over bait… you would be crucified out of the hunting community :-)

Why one animal is viewed as a lower form of species than another thereby allowing for the use of bait I don’t agree with…

Again, I’m not saying that bait is my preferred method, or that bait is on the same level as other forms of hunting, but if you can spend thousands of dollars on a man-made bait pile, (food plot) or kill a bear over a pile of donuts… and in either case be congratulated for your accomplishment, then you should also be congratulated for killing any other species over bait.

It sounds weird to say that but that’s because as a society we have set the standard of what animals are worthy or (less worthy) thus allowing for bait

Past generations may have used bait I have no idea, but they were providing for their families and filling the freezer so to speak they didn’t care about how big a Deers rack was… I doubt they would have frowned upon a bait pile if it meant meat for their family… in today’s society there’s still many of us who at times, are simply filling the freezer…the use of bait should be an acceptable method if all you’re doing is putting meat in the freezer… similar to eating a beef cow… We fatten up beef cows simply to shoot them in the head with a 22 caliber activated device… And nobody has a problem doing it or eating the meat afterward, and they are just animals like the animals we hunt:)

Again, I’m all for the skill and woodsmanship required to outsmart a wild game animal with a traditional bow… it’s one of my favorite things to do in life, and I’ve done it successfully for over 20 years, without the use of bait (with the exception of bears and hogs) but there are some tags that I’ve had, and  it would’ve been nice to use bait simply to fill the freezer:)
Real nice post brother, i like how you worded that  :thumbsup:

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2022, 01:24:36 PM »
Another thought that's been on my mind is why is baiting for Turkey unacceptable? As long as the population is strong why is it any different than deer?

Thank God it’s not, turkeys get almost tame when fed. Deer can as well but not nearly so quickly as turks. Years back I’d throw some corn out by my house, I’d never hunt there but my kids liked watching the birds. I’d be on the deck grilling, birds would run up, heads cocked sideways looking for the hand out. I’d get a bucket and they’d come within feet. Takes deer longer but that can happen with them too.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2022, 08:36:59 AM »
Well it started out as what laws you would like to see changed to a bait debate.

As for antler restrictions I have hunted NY all my life and still do even though I am a Fl. resident now. My opinion is it is the best thing they have done. The quality of deer is improving every year and we are seeing bigger and more bucks in our area.

As for blaming the city hunters for all the problems that is hogwash. Spending much time with the locals I learned where much of the hurting put on a heard was coming from. And it wasn't the city guys.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2022, 03:23:47 PM »
Just WHERE do you hunt, that you see bigger and more bucks Carlo??
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2022, 06:32:35 PM »
Mostly Sullivan and Delaware counties. Used to own property in Otsego but I sold that piece when I moved to Fl. 3 years ago.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2022, 06:36:45 PM »
As someone who hunts almost exclusively on heavily pressured public land, claiming that APR's don't work on public land is just not true. The quality of deer in the area has gotten significantly better in the few years that these restrictions have been in place. The reason that they work is because they are MANDATORY for everyone, it is not optional. It's still not going to necessarily produce monster bucks since that's just the nature of the area that I hunt, but it has made seeing a decent buck a realistic possibility.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2022, 08:14:35 PM »
I bird hunted today on public, the amount of baiting illegally makes me sick. There’s no ag, so the deer are easy to hunt, they HAVE to forage during daylight.  Except not, because of the   number of people throwing out bait. I think the DNR is LAZY, most hunters are too. It would be easy to mark the vehicles in the morning, and when the hunting is typically done around 10 or 11 go find their stands. Usually this consists of following the scared hunters flagging tape adorning the woods. So pretty to see on the public. Walk up on the stand placed wrong for most predominant winds, and the corn, beets, and carrots they STILL SELL at each gas station…. Did I mention it’s illegal yet they sell “deer bait” everywhere?  APR’s or not, crossbows suck and so does bait. But good luck with any rule enforcement by DNR who never leave the vehicle.  Irritated….YES

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2022, 06:14:05 PM »
As for laws I would like to see removed would be crossbows in the archery season.

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2022, 09:28:12 PM »
Mississippi has 5 full months of squirrel blasting. Would be nice if bow season could be enjoyed without it.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2022, 10:02:02 PM »
Hunted 4W since 1978... Bear Spring WMA borders our mountain.
Bucks aren't any bigger now, than they were back then. :readit:

How was your herd in Otsego?? 4F doesn't have antler restrictions....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2022, 07:48:31 AM »
Be allowed to bowhunt during gun season.
(Rom. 10:13)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2022, 07:59:20 AM »

That one is pretty silly, not sure of the reasoning for that?

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2022, 08:16:17 AM »
Woodchucker sent you PM.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2022, 09:39:28 AM »

That one is pretty silly, not sure of the reasoning for that?
Pretty sure you cannot in Kansas
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2022, 10:07:56 AM »
I've used cross bows and I've come to hate them.

Use crossbows only during rifle season.
No deer hunting with dogs at any time.
Control the number of hunters who use public land during deer seasons to avoid hunter over crowding.  Designate each year's access and use by a lotto drawing with a limited number of opportunities to hunt on a seasonal basis.  You don't win a spot, you don't hunt that year.  Restrict access and use in some areas.

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2022, 01:23:15 PM »
I'd like Pa. to require  written permission to be on private land. Though I doubt it would stop trespassing. But a fine if you get caught would at least make some of them think.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Online JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2022, 10:02:09 PM »
Why can't you bow hunt during the gun season in Iowa. That makes no sense. Just like here in WV we can use a muzzleloader that shoots 200 yards with a scope but we can not substitute a bow.SMH

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2022, 06:44:04 AM »
I would like to see NYS go to a one buck per license.  As mentioned earlier, hunters need to show restraint, and with the current system, they do not have to.  I am in 4Y, while we were not affected at all by CWD a  decade ago, we were hit hard by coyotes, EHD, and rampant poaching.  With limited DEC EnCon Officers, the poaching will always be there, possible lifetime hunting ban if caught?  One "hunter" was nabbed 2 years in a row, shooting at RoBo Deer, in the same location!

The coyotes are now under control, with small game and turkey populations finally making a comeback, but the poaching is still ridiculous (opening day of BOW season one year, I counted 72 rifle shots from just before sunrise to 9AM!!!), and ONLY due to a cooperative effort between farmers and landowners last season to NOT kill any deer due to the EHD decimation, there are deer around this season.  The DEC knew of the EHD outbreak in June, yet still did not amend the issuance of DMP's.

Regardless, the DEC seriously needs to get back to it's foundation of sound biological management and the wise use of natural resources.  It is only focused on selling as many licenses as possible to fill the state coffers. NYS can be a whitetail destination, but it has not been properly managed EVER.   I don't even have hope anymore, as I have seen the decline for nearly 5 decades.

BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2022, 07:53:52 AM »
In PA while bowhunting for whitetail deer in your tree stand while in a concurrent season (rabbit-squirrel-pheasant-grouse etc) if a shot opportunity on one of these small game critters comes about, one must don a florescent orange 250sq inch vest/jacket and a 100 sq inch hat to fling an arrow at it.  I confirmed this with the local WCO he also went on to say if you have any small game critters in your possession you better have FLO O on.  Seems Dumb

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2022, 10:14:35 AM »
Also, in NYS, even if you have a license to carry, you CANNOT carry your handgun while bowhunting during the archery season.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©