3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Going up in bow weight. Whatcha think?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Boondocks

• Trad Bowhunter
Going up in bow weight. Whatcha think?
« on: December 05, 2022, 09:53:01 PM »
I bought a SWA Spyder XL 2 years ago and I’ve become very confident with it. I originally took the very good advice of a lot of people to not over bow myself. I bought my bow at 40lbs and at my 30.5” draw length I’m pulling right at 46lbs on a good bow scale. I’m about to buy a Black Widow and I’d like to go up in weight but I don’t want to make a mistake on a $1400 bow.  I know I can demo a BW but I’d like your opinions. I’m thinking 45lbs for my new bow which will put me right around 50 at my draw length. Think that’s a good jump?  Too light, too heavy?  Anyone ever jumped like that and regretted it either way?  I’m a whitetail deer hunter by the way. Thanks!

Offline David P

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Going up in bow weight. Whatcha think?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 10:08:45 PM »
I doubt seriously if the 4 # is gonna make a comfortable shooting bow too  heavy. Also you can order the BW 50# at your draw you don’t have to guess at it from the 28” standard.
I shoot 60-65  I also have a shorter ASL that’s 70# that 5 pounds doesn’t feel like much more cause I’m not at my maximum. If 45# was your near max then any pound added would feel like a lot. I’d order 50 # at your draw and you’ll be fine

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 10:22:25 PM »
Most people in decent shape and not too old can pull 50 pounds pretty easily.  A heavier bow is always better if you can handle it. 

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 10:45:45 PM »
If you're close to your max even an extra 2 feels massive.  Like Gordon said most folks can handle 50# fairly easy,
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 10:57:11 PM »
I have the same draw length as you. I second having the bow built to be the weight you want at your draw. I have a 41#@ 30, a 42@ 30, a 44@30, a 47@30, and a 49@30, and a 48@28. The heaviest bow at 30.5 pulls 54, and the heaviest bow at 30” pulls 51#. I agree, 50# shouldn’t be a big deal if you aren’t at your max. The 47#, which pulls 47.7 at my draw is my favorite of them all. The 51# isn’t a big deal. I usually shoot it one practice session a week. Hope this helps
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 07:04:41 AM by JamesD »
Regular PBS Member

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 11:38:27 PM »
Black Widows can be order exactly at the weight you want and your draw length.

You might want to contact Roger and get a trial bow of your preferred make and poundage (it might not be exact depending on what they have available in the rack).
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 10:09:54 AM »
Can you easily draw your bow after sitting an hour or two in the cold?
Can you shoot forty or fifty arrows with your current bow without shooting to fatigue?
If your answers are yes you're probably gtg.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 10:32:21 AM »
I think your good on your thinking, the bow your shooting now is fine for deer and anything smaller, if you want to pursue elk or moose maybe go up in poundage a bit, you obviously don't need another bow but you want one, I think the advice that's given is fine.  :shaka:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 10:54:18 AM »
Perhaps a more important question is whether you're drawing the bow efficiently.  If you are, fine; you'll get used to a four pound increase in a week or so.

If not, then adding four pounds will only hasten the almost inevitable onset of shoulder problems.  If you're not drawing the bow efficiently, i.e. with your back muscles and shoulders back and down, but you learn how to do it, pulling 50 pounds will seem easier than pulling 46 pounds was before.

While this is not the only way to pull a bow efficiently, this video by the late great Arne Moe illustrates the best way I know of, and the way I use successfully with no shoulder injuries at the age of 78: 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 11:59:02 AM by McDave »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 12:09:18 PM »
Don't guess at it, make an informed decision...go find a shop or some one local that will let you shoot one that compares to what you are thinking, then ull know... :thumbsup:

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 04:04:15 PM »
I concur with the others, order your bow for the weight you want at your 30.5" draw. 
Then you will know for sure -  instead of having to calculate/guess at what you need to order at 28" to make come out
where you want it.  Black Widow will be all over it.
Then back to your original question, you just need to determine what that magic number is.  I personally like a 48# bow if the bowyer
can hit close to that.  It is pretty close to 50# but not down in the low 40's. Gives me a little margin on my aging joints...etc,
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 04:46:10 PM »
If you do order a Black widow I’d not worry about that extra few pounds. I’ve owned 4 and each one I felt I should have gotten a little heavier in pounds. There design is a very smooth pulling bow imo. And if you follow there limb length recommendations for your draw your gonna love the bow. Just my opinion
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 05:58:15 PM »
If you go up in poundage just make sure you dont develop any bad habit due to the increase.Like short drawing,snap shooting,poor allignment etc.

With your draw length anything from 45-50#s at 30.5 is gonna have plenty of power IMO.Accuracy and a well tuned arrow are gonna be most important.

If you get a T.D you have the option of getting another set of limbs.So you could have a bow with 2 choices.

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 09:41:47 PM »
So much depends on the bow itself and how comfortable you are holding a given weight for more than a few seconds. More often than not, we find ourselves at full draw and our intended quarry moves behind an obstacle, or doesn't move, so you better be able to hold for a bit for the right shot. Accuracy and a well placed arrow is far more important than a few more FPS. Get a bow that you can handle under the most demanding situations because that's when you'll need the most control.
I just sent my 58# @ 28" PL III back to Black Widow to have them reduce the draw weight by 3 to 4 pounds. When it comes back it will be my elk bow, and deer of course. I can shoot it just fine at 58#, but I want to be able to hold at full draw for 15 to 30 seconds without thinking about it because I know I'll need that in hunting situations.
If you're going to use your bow for other applications, please disregard my above ramble.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2022, 08:51:00 PM »
I started with 45#, gradually went up to 65#, then gradually back down to 45#. It took 30 years to get back to where I started. I should have never left.

There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2022, 11:02:56 PM »
Going up a few pounds should not be difficult as long as you are in good shape. Just don't take things faster than you can handle. Don't push your progress to the point you hurt yourself.
Sam

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2022, 12:57:29 PM »
  A heavier bow is always better if you can handle it.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Can you easily draw your bow after sitting an hour or two in the cold?

Yes, that's why I move down from 70#s to 60 in winter....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2022, 05:16:38 PM »
Black Widow will measure the draw weight at your personal draw length and write those specs on your bow.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2022, 06:36:38 PM »
To answer your last question in your original post...lots of guys jumped up more than 4 lbs draw wt for one reason or another. I jumped 15 lbs (60 to 75) once for a particular hunt, took a couple months to get comfortable with it, but no big deal. Honestly if someone handed you a bow that was 50lbs at your draw length, with 46 written on it, unless you are pretty marginal already (either shoulder issues, or your bow muscles out of shape) I doubt you'd even notice it was heavier.

I think 50, better yet 55 lbs is a nice weight that gives you some room for error/recovery from unintended bone hit etc. I know, I know, some guy shot a moose with a 40lb bow one time. Good for him. I won't.  For whitetails a moderate bow (like 50-55 lbs) is a step change from 40 as far as performance goes. Also gives you an option to step up to a bit larger critters when you are ready. 50-55 at your draw would be a great elk bow.

R

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2022, 09:05:54 AM »
Just wondering if you want to go up in weight because that bow feels light enough to you that you want to go up in weight or is it because you think you need more weight for hunting. Because if it it the latter you don't. You already have a 30.5" draw that gives you a major advantage over most guys because there aren't a lot of guys with that long of a draw length. At 46# with your draw length you are going to be shooting a really fast arrow. Ask the guys at Black Widow how many bows they make over 50# and how many they make under 50# and the answer will probably surprise you. If your current bow feels light to you then go for it and order a heavier bow, if not I think you would be best sticking with what you are shooting now.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©