3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blood Trails... 2 or 3 blade  (Read 542 times)

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
Blood Trails... 2 or 3 blade
« on: May 10, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
Always in the past with compound I used 3 blade broad heads. This season with long bow I plan to use 2 blade broadheads, I have tried both with it and I seem to be a little more accurate with the 2 blade, and I know they give better penetration. The other day a friend planted a seed of doubt in my mind, so now I am not sure. He said that with 2 blades you often have very little blood trail in the event that tracking is necessary you could have a very tough job. I would like to hear some opinions from you experienced trad hunters.
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blood Trails... 2 or 3 blade
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
Zinndl,

To me, the most important thing is being able to put the arrow in the right spot, next would be penetration, and third would be the number of blades.  If you are hunting deer, goats, rams, elk, and things of that nature, having hair that won't soak up a lot of blood, two blade heads are fine.

The only other time I prefer a three is on Hogs, Bears, that have a lot of fat that likes to clog the hole, or hair that will act like a sponge.  Another factor, I failed to mention, is draw weight. Lighter draw weights are better off using two blade heads for deeper penetration.  

Just my observation.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
I have used 2, 3, and 4 blade cut-on-contact broadheads in the past and they all have done there intended job by putting animals on the ground quickly and humanly as possible.

Everyone has a favorite(s) head that they will tell you is the best and rightfully so because for them they are.

Shoot what you like and have confidence in. Make sure they shoot good for you and that you keep them razor sharp.

My only recommendation would be to use a cut-on-contact head.

Right now I am using 4 blade 125 grain Muzzy Phatoms and Simmon's sharks and some 2 blade Eclipse and Zwickey broadheads. I know all of them will produce the same in result for me when shooting at an animal.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
I have used 2, 3, and 4 blade cut-on-contact broadheads in the past and they all have done there intended job by putting animals on the ground quickly and humanly as possible.

Everyone has a favorite(s) head that they will tell you is the best and rightfully so because for them they are.

Shoot what you like and have confidence in. Make sure they shoot good for you and that you keep them razor sharp.

My only recommendation would be to use a cut-on-contact head.

Right now I am using 4 blade 125 grain Muzzy Phantoms and Simmons's sharks and some 2 blade Eclipse and Zwickey broadheads. I know all of them will produce the same in result for me when shooting at an animal.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
WW and Snuffers ....then there are German Kinetics Silver flames...my fav 3..   :notworthy:     :thumbsup:what can I say I love to see Red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :jumper:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Shoot big two blades and you will have plenty of blood.If you shoot little blades that make small cuts they willl not leak as much as any larger head.I shoot two blades for more blood.I am able to shoot larger heads than with 3 blade heads and still get two holes from my bow weights.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
3 or 4 blade heads all the way for me with Snuffers being my favorite.
I'm with bayoulongbowman....I love to see Red!!!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
If it's sharp, and you put it in the right place, they are gonna bleed.  I shoot two blades because I shoot fairly light bows, and I want an exit hole every time.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
I was in the same boat as you a few years back.  Through my own personal expeience a big-wide two blade like the Magnus I with a 1.5" blade or the WW is all that I use anymore.  Both leave great blood trails.  Sure shot placement is crucial but unfortunately that perfect shot doesn't always happen and that big Magnus I has left some gorry blood trails to the animal on less than marginal hits.  Oh, and like said above any must be very sharp.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
as scott said,put it in the right spot,and apex said,"SHARP"the realy sharp,sharp blades cut the smaller veins that a dull head might slide across or push aside.you stated you were more accurate with the 2 blade,and imo,that is most important,shot placement.shot placement and a sharp 2 blade head will bring out the red.happy trails.
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
zinndl, If you stay around this site for awhile, you will see plenty on this topic since it comes up every few weeks. In my experience the volumn of blood has less to do with the number of blades than anything else. I killed one bear with a big multi blade head and had very little blood trail, due to a wad of fat as big as my fist extruding through the exit hole and plugging it entirely, in that case I think a two blade wouldn't have allowed that fat to come out and plug the hole. The most blood I have ever seen on a trail(very short trail) was with a 160 Grizzly, which is a very narrow two blade and that was on an animal that seldom leaves any blood trail at all. My rule is to use the BIGGEST
head that I am reasonably sure will give me an exit wound on the biggest animal I am likely to get a shot at. If you use a smaller head than necessary, you will just be wasting energy burying the arrow in the ground on the far side, use to big a head and you don't get an exit wound. So if I am only hunting whitetails, I'll pick my head based on a big whitetail, if I am in Africa, I'd pick it based on a 2000# eland, if I might shoot at one of those.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
I only use 2 blades. They seem to fly better for me. My favorite are the Grizzlies and the Magnus 1's. IMO the most important attribute of a broadhead in regards to bloodtrails is how sharp it is. As long as you can get your BH of choice scary sharp you should be fine.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
Seems to me that the number of blades have never made much difference in the blood trail, so much as location of the hit, exit hole, fat or tissue plugging the exit hole, on so forth...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
My best bloodtrails have all been with multi blade heads...Phantoms, Woodsman and Razorcaps giving the best results. I have killed big game animals with various heads of many designs and have never gotten what I would consider to be a good blood trail with any two blade head. Two blades are plenty deadly but blood trails have been very disappointing. I have suffered no penetration problems with any mutltiblade head but stopped using Snuffers from tree stands because at times penetration with them was less than expected.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »
Sharp. Most important factor.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
a lot of good post. like others have said " Put it where it needs to go " the game is down... But when it comes to blood trailing a 3-blade gives more sign then a 2-blade...

I'm a big Fan of Magnus Snuffers 160grn 3-blades.It leaves blood trails so a blind man can fellow.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
First off an entrance and exit hole is our ultimate goal. If your two blade heads fly better then definitely stay with them. A straight arrow will penetrate a lot better than one that is not straight at impact.

Many have said the sharper the better and that is very true also. A clean cut will bleed longer than a dull rough cut.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
Everyone has a strong opinion about broadheads.
As well they should, it is the most important part of our hunting equipment.

I have heard many people say, that two blade heads lack in putting blood on the ground, at least some of the time. Personally, I have never had that problem.

I prefer two blade heads because they are so easy to sharpen, and pretty much always get a pass through.

In the event of a shot that is too far back, additional cutting blades may give a greater chance to cut more blood vessels, but gut shot animals are more likely to be recovered by proper follow up, than by the slim chance of one more vessel being cut. (my opinion, of course)

For most game animals, the numbers of blades matters less, than your ability to get them as sharp as possible.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
I have shot 4 deer with two blade broadheads and only had a good blood trail on one of them, they work but I'm going to use some zwickey 4 blade Eskimo's this deer season.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
I am with some others here, I think a VERY sharp 2 blade is the way to go, but I say this without ever killing a critter with a 3 blade.. I have shot Zwickeys and Magnus for 35 years and have taken a bunch of animals. I have watched friends try diffrent heads and every one of them seem to come back to a 2 blade (or a 2 blade with bleeders) I have had great blood trails and ones that were almost non existant, shot placement and sharpness is the key. I also believe in a reasonably wide head like the zwickey delta or the big magnus. tune your equipment, shoot what weight ya can handle with a reasonable gpp arrow and SHARPEN the heads and put it where it belongs..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©