3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spin Testing  (Read 310 times)

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
Spin Testing
« on: May 10, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Would someone explain spin testing to me? How it is done, it's purpose and how necessary it is. Can it be done without the use of a spin tester? I was told that you could spin an arrow on it's tip (upright like a top)and check for wobble; is that true?
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spin Testing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
I will give it a shot, bro.  I have seen the term applied to 3 different techniques.
The old timers would place the tip on a hard surface, with the arrow vertical and give the nock end a spin.  Observing the shaft, head junction would show a wobble if the the shaft was not straight or the head was mounted crooked.  But this only works with "needle" points---the chisel tip on my broadheads induces a wobble independent of the shaft.
Another technique is to rest the shaft in a "vee" formed by placing a thumbnail  against the palp of the index or long finger, then spinning the other end.  A straight shaft will just spin, a crooked shaft will jump up out of the vee.
One can also rotate a shaft slowly in some type of jig, consisting of paired  v-blocks or juxtaposed rollers, with some reference point positioned near the end---a straight shaft will show no up and down movement of the tip (or nock).  The bow catalogs sell a couple of models, and some shaft straightening devices and spine testers incorporate such a jig.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »
I can spin the tip of my arrow on a smooth surface and see gross errors in alignment.  In order to fine tune my broadhead alignment I must spin them on the palm of my hand.  I can feel the slightest wobble.  If they are not right, I make an adjustment and try again.  Never used one of those spinny thingies.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
You can see .01" wobble with the top spinning.  Do it on a light colored surface.  Kinda hard to see anymore than that.  Spinners are cheap.  Like 10 dollars.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
Spinners are really cheap if you make one. All ya need is a piece of wood about 36" long, four nails and a reference line. I have a couple and the work just as well as the ones I paid for.
Spin testing is great for carbons and aluminums. It can work for very straight woodies, but it will pick up any deviation in the shaft too. A woody doesnt have to be perfectly straight to fly well. It helps of course, but isnt absolutely necessary.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
If you dectected misalignment with a carbon arrow / broad head combo how do you correct it?
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
I just heat the point and spin it slightly on the steel insert.  If you used epoxy, it might be permanent.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©