3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Problem with multiple bows  (Read 552 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Problem with multiple bows
« on: May 10, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
First off, I will admit, I am a bow who re.  I love the looks of em, I like tryin different ones out.  But it comes with problems.  Especially buyin some that tillered 3 under and others split.  I shoot 3 under

My main bow is a 60# zipper t/d.  I can just hit with this bow.  My others are a 48# selfbow, and a 52# savannah, and lastly a 66# BW longbow.  

Ok, I have pretty well got the 52# savannah and 60# zipper hitting same POI.  To do this, I basically try to shoot 10gr/lb draw and add or take away wieght.  I am still working on the selfbow.  Its a tad sluggish.

I love my BW PLX 66#.  Its smooth and accurate.  But it hits high. Like 8-10" at 22yards high. If I strickly shoot the BW PLX for a while, I can hit with it.  But then takes some work getting my zipper and savannah hitting.   My computer in my head is causing issues.

Here's my little thing I do.  I take a candle (thanks brad lantz on here for the suggestion) and shoot both at night at the flame. Or just use a target with a spot light on it.   Cool thing is my accuracy of groups is awesome.  Bad news is I am definately 8" high at 25 yards with my PLX.  

So I keep added wieght.  I am up to 720gr arrow, and still 4" high or so.  I raised my nocking point 1/8" and that helped, but I can see my arrow flipping a bit.  Who wants bad flight?

I know there are other bow wh ores on here.  

Am I the only one with these issues?

I am starting to think one should stick with one bow or at least one type.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Problem with multiple bows
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
it comes down to the old saying:

never trust a man with one...... if you want to shoot multiple bows, accept proficiency flaws... unless they are the "same" bow.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
I've tried a little this year to shoot longbow and recurve,so I could shoot in two 3D classes.I also tried to get them both shooting the same speed.I could shoot them both well but I learned I'm best when I stay with one bow.

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
I've pretty much been able to shoot any bow I can draw, left or right handed, 3 under or split. A long long time ago, an older gentleman taught me to "shoot the arrow", not the bow.

After awhile, you can sorta "feel" when the arrow is ready to go. Dunno if this makes any sense to you, but it works for me.

Good luck!
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
Quill, I can't say I have got to that level to "be the arrow".  But I can understand how someone might just have a feel for it.  Kinda like jumping in a corvette and just from teh feel you know you can take a hairpin, but know in your 3ft high jacked up ford, you cannot.

Well see in 10 years, I might come close.

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
He started off by telling me to think of the arrow as a telephone pole & ignore the bow as just a part of my hand(s). Focus on the spot, then without looking at the arrow, line it up like it's a pole. After a time, ya just focus on the spot.

Give it a try & let me know how it turns out.

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
Oh yeah, if you wish to learn to shoot different bows with different draw weights & improve your form, take an instructor's course & teach kids to shoot. Man, they'll let ya know right away when yer doing something wrong!...laffs

I have found that teaching others has improved my shooting leaps & bounds. But the real reward is seeing others get thrilled about a sport I love.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Start looking at where your arrow is pointing and it makes things easier.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
James, I don't have left to right problems.  Only up and down.   Only difference is I bought these arrows a for the BW 1" short.  Maybe subconsiencely, my mind is raising my POI.  IN other words, I think I am an instintive shooter, but really I may not be.  

I guess having multiple bows and learning to shot each is one of those good problems.  :biglaugh:

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
I like that, "Shoot the arrow, not the bow!" Thanks, QF!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
sounds like you need to sell the bows you aren't shooting well.  Maybe even on the St Jude's auction!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Gregg don't burden my heart like that.  I have wanted a black widow LX for sometime.  But your right, God would smile on a sacrafice like that.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Maybe I should learn to avoid these kinda threads, but here's my opinion, Mark ...

Some bows just "bond" well with an archer and others just may never.  They're all unique li'l devils and even a pair of the same brand/model may just be very different for You, and all the messing around and fiddling trying to fix something that can't be reasonably fixed just ain't never gonna happen.  

In the best of all worlds, one bow takes home the meat, the rest get played with while the meat maker gets the serious use.  And you may find yer ideal hunting bow ain't one of them big dollar flavors, either.

I'm also a firm believer that what works for me best is not to overthink the business of tuning and shooting.  

YMMV, and that's cool.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
I totally agree Rob.  But I am notorious for this crap.  I get this tunnel vision on trying to make a square peg fit into the square hole.  

I can take something pure and fun and turn it into a obsession pretty easy.  

I have always wanted to shoot longbows well, but alway get sucked back in to the recurves.

My recurve is one of the cheaper zippers.  I got it for 300 on an auction site.   And because it bonds well with me, I wouldn't take a new one for it.  

When it all comes down to it, I was talkin with a fella and we were talking on which bow I would take hunting that day.  He looked at me and said, right now if I bet you 1000 dollars if you could hit a 3d deer vitals from 20 paces, which one would you pick up.  I know it would't be the one hitting 8" high.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
Sounds kinda like trying to make a Cycle, truck, and car all drive the same.  Different is different.

There is a manufacturing process saying that makes tons of sense when it comes to shooting.  " If nothing changes, nothing will."

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowdude:
Sounds kinda like trying to make a Cycle, truck, and car all drive the same.  Different is different.

You know, now that is the one comment that makes the most sense.  Your right.  And I am probably crazy for trying.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
i have shot a lot of different bows,now i keep it to 3 or 4,1 curve and the rest long stix.i had the same issues bigcountry untill i found the right weight arrow for hunting and the one for paper punching.what works for me when changing bows and useing the same arrow is changing the brace height.i might shoot a 430 gr.arrow out of a 45# recurve braced at 7 3/4 and then shoot it out of a 42# longbow braced at 7 1/8th.i shoot 3 under,but i'v shot a lot of bows tillered split,usually string nock placement takes care of that.like quill,i look at the spot,in the outer limits of my vision i pick up the point of my arrow,then something says release,and its gone.it sure is fun trying to figure it out.  :thumbsup:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
3 BW MA3s.  Three extremely different poundages.  Use the 10gpi rule. Always hit the same spot. Always.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
LOL, Big Country, I wasn't trying to burden you, I was trying to unburden you.  I know how it is to struggle with something that you want to shoot well and just don't for whatever reason.  I struggle with getting rid of bows even when I don't need or use them.  Basically, I was hoping you would take the advice that I am not using.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
You know it was all I could think about on my tractor mowing yesterday.  Give God your best and your first fruits.  But I like my widow. :{

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©