3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Eating "organ" meats  (Read 1672 times)

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Eating "organ" meats
« on: December 12, 2022, 10:27:37 AM »
How many of you guys carry a plastic bag or two along in the field and bring home such things as the heart/tongue/liver when you kill a critter?   :thumbsup:

Growing up on a farm we always butchered and always saved and ate those parts.  My brother was just given a bag with 4 hearts in it from some hunters he had staying at his motel.  I brought them home and pickled them.

Really not a difficult process, and the results are delicious.  Tongue is very good that way too,  and liver and onions are fantastic.   :coffee:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eating "organ" meats
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 11:04:09 AM »
We used to eat hearts all the time but once CWD showed up my wife won't any organ meats so I don't keep them. I have a friend who gets the liver, He loves it.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 11:08:21 AM »
Hearts ok but liver :nono:

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 11:32:34 AM »
I was raised that way too.
If it's all you knew when you were a kid, you dont get squeamish about vittles.  :thumbsup:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 11:39:18 AM »
I'm going to add this: a guy I work with is grossed out by the thought of eating venison tenderloin.
He says they are all slimy and not very big so why bother.
Lucky for me he is bringing me a plastic bag with a couple in it today so I can dispose of them properly.  :goldtooth:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 12:09:04 PM »
Myself and my mother both enjoy the heart and liver, especially the liver. I ask friends to bring them to me if they dont want them. If they look clean and healthy I cut them and cook them. Ive had several hearts and 3 livers since October. Livers are fairly large so I slice them and put it in the freezer. It's good eating. There is a fair amout of meat in an adult deer heart too. It is tender if you dont fry it hard.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 12:20:43 PM »
I carry a bag for the heart. It is delicious. If I liked liver I might take that too, but can't bring myself to eat it.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 12:44:26 PM »
Deer heart - yum!
Back in my younger days when I hunted Wisconsin gun season, one of the old timers in our cabin always had a plastic bag with him.
He would scavenge every gut pile he came across and got the heart if still there (plus the ones we shot).  At least once or twice during the week he would slice the hearts up into medallions, fry them up with a bunch of sautéed onions - good eat'in.
I eat all my bow kill hearts if possible.  I'm not much on liver from any animal. 

"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 01:12:52 PM »
I eat the heart, liver , and tongue of MY deer. I don't eat organ meats that someone wants to give me.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 01:32:31 PM »
I eat the heart of every deer I shoot. Pan seared is yummy! My daughter loves it as well. Her exact words (she is 6) when I short my first deer of this season, “ What a pretty deer, blood, lots of blood, deer meat yummy! Pretty deer are yummy!
Regular PBS Member

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 02:05:08 PM »
I eat the heart and liver of animals that are not old but always check them for parasites first.

Older animal livers often have at least one of three kinds of parasites (especially caribou) or are very dark and strong tasting (especially bull moose).

I almost always keep the kidneys though. Cut out the centre and soak them a bit = excellent fried.

The ministry here warns against eating the livers and kidneys of Moose, caribou, and deer because of the possibility of cadmium being present (carried by the wind, etc. to wilderness areas from industries in the south) but I ignore that and eat the organ meats in moderation.

I base my opinion on having "gutted", cleaned, cut up or butchered up to 200 big game animals a year (mostly caribou, bears, moose, but much fewer deer) for many years during my professional guiding career. At not quite 70 years old I still work on the animals we harvest and often those of friends.

The people here eat mostly wild game which gives me the opportunity to continue to "study" parasites and the condition of the edible organs (I live on a northern reservation and my wife is Cree).

May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 02:57:20 PM »
Gonna have to agree with Durp on this one
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 03:02:27 PM »
We ate the heart and liver of the deer and elk we killed.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2022, 03:05:11 PM »
I will do heart and tongue.  I've always disliked liver.  I've got two hearts to cook up now.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2022, 03:14:35 PM »
I only save and eat the heart from deer I kill. I think it's delicious and it's become a tradition for me to eat the heart the evening of a kill. I like it quick seared in a scorching hot pan with some butter, salt and pepper.

Food pics are always a bonus IMO.
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 03:31:15 PM »
I eat the hearts of the deer I kill.  This year I saved the liver and had it ground up with the other grind meat.  The processor looked at me when I asked him to do this and he said "That's a first".  I said "yep, you and me both".  I haven't had any of the grind yet.  I'm excited to try it.  I did this because I know the benefits of the organ meat, but I was not raised on liver and am hesitant to try it plain.  I've also had tongue once but have not gone through the process of learning to cut one out.

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2022, 03:37:19 PM »
Just the hearts for me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2022, 04:05:39 PM »
We keep it all.  If for some reason it is not eating the dogs have a special treat.  When I was young, family would have a small deer camp and heart, liver, and onions were always delicious.

Bisch

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 04:49:32 PM »
NOPE!!!!!!!!! 

Buzzards and yotes have to eat too!!!!

Now, my dog Zeke loves deer heart, so he gets them whenever he finds a deer for me.

Bisch
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 05:48:07 PM by Bisch »

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2022, 12:01:46 AM »
always
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Users currently browsing this topic: