3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions on short longbows.  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Sojurn

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions on short longbows.
« on: December 13, 2022, 03:58:18 PM »
I draw almost 30 inches,  so I'm asking a lot here and I know it.  I have several bows now,  and I think I know what I like. Jenkins grip,  less stack is better, shorter bows and quiet. 
  I think I've narrowed it down to Toelke Pika, Big Stick Gremlin, or the Omega but a used bow because he's not making the shorties right now. 

Who has experience with these bows? Especially with long draws dealing with stack,  or the Big Stick carbon limbs?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions on short longbows.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 04:33:46 PM »
I have owned and shot a lot of longbows....Wes Wallace made my first one and then I've owned them by Steve Abbott and by Steve Turay.   I tended to lean toward shorter bows and with those builders 62" was the shortest I could acquire.   

I'm a big fan of short bows and Great Northern offers, or did at one time, a 58" longbow.   I have the idea that a 58" longbow would be a hoot to work with as long as the bow didn't begin to stack at 28" which is my draw length.   Good luck finding one.

Offline MGH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 04:36:03 PM »
I know you have stated you have it narrowed down, but if you have not done so already, do yourself a favor and shoot a Javaman Elkheart Magnum.  I have a 30" draw and the 54" FLOORED me when I shot it last year at K'Zoo.  I have not shot the Pika or Gremlin, so I cannot comment on how they compare.  Just some friendly advice, best of luck in your search!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 04:49:26 PM »
I would contact the bowyer(s) after you get some answers here, on your question if it were me.

Best of luck!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 07:08:39 PM »
I second Terry's suggestion and since you have mentioned the Toelke Pika you should give Dan a call. I was in Ronan on an August fly fishing trip and shot one. I recently ordered and received my first one a couple of weeks ago. Like all the previous Toelke models I've owned this one is smooth, stable, quiet and beautifully made. And I don't usually chronograph my bows but I may this one, it seems unusually quick.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 07:46:06 PM »
Man after 20 years of trying a lot of bows, the older I get, the longer my bows get.. At 30” a short longbow will get really torquey. I draw 28” and tried really hard to shoot a top named 54” to my standards and just couldn’t justify it. A lot of people love Pika’s and shoot them well, but guarantee they would shoot a 62-66” whip better. I have a few shorter recurves (58”) now that I use for antelope and turkeys out of a ground blind, but other than that I am 62-66” LB’s. If you would have asked me 10 years ago, 60” was long. Everyone wants maneuverability but personally prefer controllability much more. If considering Toelke I would encourage you to shoot a Pika next to a 64-66” Whip and see what you group better with, I know ill take length every day.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 10:56:13 PM »
54” Shrew Classic Hunter II will handle 30” draw without stacking. 
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Sojurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 01:00:37 AM »
I shoot a 64" recurve most of the year,  and hunted this season with my grandpa's 62" Ben pearson.
  The longer bows shoot great, but I'd like something shorter.  I can always pick up the longer bow I already have. 
  I forgot about the shrews. So many options,  in spoiled for choice!

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 02:28:53 AM »
Yaa that is a problem.So many choices in shorter longbows.Surprised you got down to 3 choices with so many Bowyers offering that style of bow these days due its popularity.So its in thier lineup.The original Shrew is pretty much the genesis of the short longbow.But it has evolved alot since the original Shrew.

Whats the maximum length that would work for you in your quest for a shorter longbow?

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 09:13:34 AM »
I picked up a Kanati longbow and couldn't be happier. Very cost friendly and more than capable to do the job.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 09:57:03 AM »
Yep Kanati. I own two 56” ones

Offline Sojurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 01:56:39 AM »
I keep seeing Kenati, but production seems to have slowed down on these bows.   

The more I read on Shrew, the more they seem like a good option.

I started this thread with 3 bows in mind, and now I there's 4!

A 56" bow I think would be ideal, but there are many factors. I suspect I'll need to go to a shoot and get my hands on some bows before I can really decide

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2022, 03:38:14 AM »
I have a Thunderchild that I really like. My draw is only 28 and mine is 58 inch.

I think Jim has a 32 inch draw and shoots them.

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2022, 08:41:09 AM »
You just can't beat a Toelke!  I have a rather short draw, but my buddy shoots my 56" Pika at his 30" and always comments on how smooth it is.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2022, 02:01:48 AM »
Up for a member

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2022, 08:38:14 AM »
my opinion is you really have to like the grip the on a short bow,,, no finger pinch and no stack goes without saying so you're connection to the bow is the grip.    I say talk to the bowyer they know their bows and if you have a favorite grip send that bow to the bowyer and see if he can come as close as possible to that grip and you will love the bow.

"Us vs Them"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2022, 12:05:19 PM »
I basically don't care for them. For some reason, they just don't feel right. I'm not knocking them as I know a lot of guys that shoot them very well. All my hunting bows are 68" long, yet my draw length is  25". I discussed it with one of my favorite bowyers (I shoot two of his bows) and he said I was only losing a few fps. A good hit will kill the deer efficiently. So, shoot what you like and be happy. Shorter bows will have some advantage in tight blinds, though.
Sam

Online Jegs.mich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2023, 08:12:46 AM »
Take a look at JT Traditional archery. He builds awesome short hybrid longbows. Quality and craftsmanship is second to none.
Psalms 127:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2023, 09:42:50 AM »
It basically comes down to the individual.. Some will never be able to shoot well no matter what they shoot, others will shoot certain types of bows better than others and then there's those that can shoot any type of bow well.

I have a 32" draw length. Couple that with my slightly increased size, I take up a bunch of room when shooting. I prefer to shoot the shortest bow that I can shoot well/comfortably.  I make a 60" and a 64" 50's style recurve and I find both of them to be very comfortable at my draw length, however I shoot them equally well.. so I stick to the 60".

My short longbow, the "Thunderchild" has been far and away my most popular model for over 12 years. The longest version I make of the Thunderchild is 58" and I find it to be very comfortable and accurate at 32"s.. or at least as accurate as I am with any of my other models.

Before judging "short" longbows, one should go to an event and try  a few.. it may be an eye opener.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©