3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single Bevel Options?  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Hunter74

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Single Bevel Options?
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2022, 05:15:46 AM »
I have looked at them Vandieman heads and like the looks of them for sure. My two hang ups, which are fairly minor, is they seem to be hard to get ahold of and out of stock a lot and 225 is sort of an odd weight. I’m sure I can find 225 grain field points but I don’t see them regularly.

Right now I’m liking the Razorhead dimensions and design but man I hate that it has a screw on ferrule and not one solid piece.

Another caveat for me is I’m sort of stuck at left bevel. I anchor with a feather to nose touch and I need to run left wing with the tail of the feathers curved up for this to work well.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2022, 08:47:37 AM »
If you Google Lusk Archery Adventures, there’s a guy from Iowa that has tested hundreds of heads which may be helpful for you. Virtually all of the heads being discussed have been tested including the Vandieman.

The tests are probably not perfect in sorting out Animal lethality but you can see how they stack up on a host of very important integrity & performance characteristics. :campfire:

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2022, 02:29:52 PM »
 :archer:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2022, 06:36:46 PM »
Following this thread and looking up the recommendations on line....so many of them are no longer the 3:1 ratio that the original single bevel heads were. Why is that?
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2022, 10:08:53 PM »
Following this thread and looking up the recommendations on line....so many of them are no longer the 3:1 ratio that the original single bevel heads were. Why is that?

I started with the 3:1 Single bevel idea and I ran into tip curl and tip damage plus they were mostly narrow cut. I gravitated to wider cut for more trauma and shorter for more structural integrity. I’ve had no issue with penetration on any of them.

The VPA 3 Blade 250 grain 1-1/4” cut are fairly long and I like them a lot. No penetration issue and structurally sound, big hole. That’s my two cents…

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2022, 04:25:47 PM »
What Chuck Jones said!  I have used many broadheads like many of you.  I used Grizzly for longtime.  But, I have had my best results with Tuffhead broadheads for me.  I have a few that has taken 3 or 4 deer with complete pass throughs and watch them drop.  Not promoting them, I still carry my old favorite ACE in my quiver too, but for my 55# bow I have noticed a difference.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2022, 11:25:00 AM »
 :archer2:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2022, 09:44:00 AM »
Here’s some size reference for you. The Ironwills are 150 grain. Double and single bevel with bleeders. They are SHARP!!!  The Abowyer brown bear is 175 gr without insert and the bonehead is 140gr without insert. I’ve killed with the two Abowyers but not the new Ironwills.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Online Jegs.mich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2022, 04:43:49 PM »
There's a bunch of good heads out there. I haven't tried them all but will always be partial to an old fashioned zwickey. Here's a picture of the tree my deer was standing in front of.
Psalms 127:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2022, 08:20:12 PM »
Nice Jed—is that a 2 blade or 4 blade?

Online Jegs.mich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2022, 08:39:20 PM »
That's a two blade, but I use both. I like the way they sharpen up and fly.
Psalms 127:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

Offline Hunter74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2023, 06:48:28 AM »
Thanks again for all the help gang!

So currently my decision is to try out the Razor heads for a wider single bevel and I’m also going to pick up some VPA 3 blade heads to experiment with.

Offline Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2023, 11:54:02 AM »
Shocked that anyone has broken an Abowyer head. I love them, have killed a few deer with them and they seem absolutely bulletproof. They are made of pretty high quality steel and sharpen up nicely. I shot this buck through the shoulder with a 250 grain Wapiti screw in. Split the scapula and penetrated 12" with 600 grains behind it pushed by a 55# Stalker recurve at 16 yards. Great blood trail too. These are very high quality heads and are a bit pricey but not the highest out there.

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2023, 06:27:46 PM »
Nice work with that Abowyer!
Regular PBS Member

Offline Wilderlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2023, 01:47:41 PM »
With the exception of a rabbit with a blunt and a pig with a Tusker Aztec, all animals I've killed with compounds and trad bows have been with Outback broadheads from Australia - both the Supreme and Stealth models. Very affordable and easy to sharpen. I believe they are currently not producing but they're working on starting back up again soon.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2023, 07:05:11 AM »
Grizzles 30+ years.  I have shot a couple others but always go back.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©