3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need a Mule Deer hunt....  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I need a Mule Deer hunt....
« on: December 19, 2022, 09:12:35 PM »
This Michigan whitetailer needs some advice....my son and I are looking for a mule deer hunt. Preferably somewhere we can drive to, hike in, do it ourselves. Help, my traditional archery brothers!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need a Mule Deer hunt....
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 10:32:17 PM »
5 or 6 years ago 3 friends and myself went to North Dakota. We applied for tabs in April I think. Tags were reasonable for out of state around $250. We hunted the south west corner of the state. It was badlands type terrain with some agriculture thrown in. We hunted public ground. Seen deer every day. I took a buck on the last day. There were whitetails too, mostly close to the river bottoms. Mine was a muley. You would want to check concerning deer numbers. They have some harsh winters. I enjoyed it. We did spot and stalk.
(Rom. 10:13)

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 11:44:22 AM »
A friend and I went to Nebraska this fall. It was a great experience but the deer were far and few between. I think I read their harvest this year was down an additional 10% from last year or something. It was fun, and I did get an opportunity at a decent buck which I blew. Ate a lot of dirt crawling across the prairie, dug out a lot of cactus spines, and came back with poison ivy but aside from that it was a neat experience. Saw probably as many hunters as we did deer, and almost all out of state license plates. The scenery was great though. It was much tougher hunting than here in Michigan.
We put on just over 60 miles walking over 7 days, hunting from dawn until dark every day. We're planning to head back next year if we're unable to get tags in a different state.

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 03:37:31 PM »
Roger, I live in western ND. Our badlands might be the closest good mule deer hunting to you. Lots of public land to hunt and to camp on. If I remember right, you could buy a non resident WT license over the counter but MD are by lottery. I think you have to apply by March.  I wouldn't normally advertise the arrea but will for a fellow Trad Ganger ;)

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 06:40:11 PM »
Is the tag good for either species?
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 08:09:50 PM »
Roger, I'm not 100% sure, but I think Nebraska is the only state you can get tags over the counter. I haven't bow hunted there , but have hunted black powder there for several years and have purchased tags online.  The area I hunt with my brother is pretty much privately owned, but that being said, the people are very generous about letting people hunt, it just takes a little door knocking.  Good luck in your search, I hope you can make things come together.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 11:33:24 AM »
You need to plan ahead a few years.  Wyoming is well known to have a great mule deer herd.  Some of the best units are in the western part of the state.  This year required a minimum of 4 points to draw in my area, drawing on the fifth year.  A healthy man in reasonable condition can hike in to hunt this area.  Start now and you can get in a hunt before you are not capable to do so.   5 years goes by pretty quickly.  You can apply for preference points beginning in January.

I know of some decent mule deer country in Colorado.  Several miles to hike in to but you should be able to draw an archery tag with no points.  Early season the mule deer are still on their summer range, meaning the bucks are mostly above tree line, (10,000 ft elevation).  I have killed a few mule deer there while elk hunting.  Not for big bucks but lots of does and smaller bucks.  You can get a bear tag and hunt the gut pile.  Plentiful bear numbers as well.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 01:02:54 PM »
washington /idaho /montana        :archer2:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 07:10:01 PM »
Consider AZ in January if you want nicer weather and interesting country. Last time I did it, the archery tag was OTC and the mulies were rutting and chasing does!  Tons of public land, the DNR website had detailed info for each unit and if you happen to be a PBS member, there is a Membership hunt starting on Jan 1 hosted by a AZ resident who can point you in the right direction…
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 06:22:00 AM »
No real advise , just a thought from a dreamer ....

Bou, moose , mulies have been a dream for as long as I can recall...in that order  :readit: ;)

...Looks like unless I hit the lotto the first 2 will remain just that.....I would love to do spot and stalk mulies out west. That would be a first choice , but with my beat body & joints.....likely not my best option now.

At this stage of the game I would give Dakota a HARD looking over in options. Bonus of some great pheasant  hunting in the area as well . 

I know that isn't exactly the advise your looking for ;^))) but it's fun to join in on these conversations .

Best with your quest my friend !
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 08:25:15 AM »
There are no mule deer in idaho, don't come .
 :goldtooth:
Kevin
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 11:14:50 AM »
The mule deer population in ND is down right now the Game & Fish (from what the commissioner told me) are planning on a close season on does for a while this brought the pop . up the last time they implemented no doe hunting.

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2022, 09:46:02 AM »
Please come to Washington and hunt the predators!
 Deer and Elk numbers are way down due to miss management. The Cougars and bear populations are out of control along with the wolves. I feel the percentage of bear feeding on the newborns, is having a larger impact then most realize. I drive passed a heard of elk to and from my work every day and over the past 5 years the numbers of elk have dropped by 2/3rds.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 03:20:21 PM »
Don’t worry. Cannot get a tag for Idaho. System was broken and non-residents could not get tags. Wasted a day online. Tried for couple years now. Capped and sold out.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 10:19:50 AM »
Ok, I lied.
 Saw one mule deer the other day.
 So there's 1 mule deer in idaho but you still can't come,  he's mine.
 Seriously tho, I've seen a few does way up north here a time or two but certainly not a daily event.
 It seems to me most of the mulies are more central to southern idaho  ??
 If you are successful in getting a NR tag in idaho anywhere near me, I'd be glad to run with ya.
 I can offer you and +1 a place to crash too.
 Love hunting , Kevin
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 12:40:06 PM »
OK Kevin now ya went and done it :laughing: if Roger was to take u up on that fine offer I would have to let ya in on my super secret spot...it would be a shame for those mules to just stand around and get fat with no one to chase em...don't forget our deer tags are otc in the panhandle zone...there now I went and done it  :help:

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2023, 11:43:29 AM »
.don't forget our deer tags are otc in the panhandle zone... :help:

I don't see that non-resident tags are OTC in the panhandle?  Am I missing something? 

Nonresident Regular Deer Tag Limits
The nonresident regular deer tag limits listed below includes nonresident non-outfitted and nonresident outfitted tags.

Game Management Unit (GMU)   Tag Limit   Tags remaining
Unit 1   689   Sold Out
Unit 2   327   Sold Out
Unit 3   316   Sold Out
Unit 4   275   Sold Out
Unit 4A   39   Sold Out
Unit 5   229   Sold Out
Unit 6   332   Sold Out
Unit 7   34   Sold Out
Unit 8   51   Sold Out
Unit 8A   57   Sold Out
Unit 9   19   Sold Out
Unit 10   37   Sold Out

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2023, 07:12:19 PM »
Over the counter...first come first served...no draw required...the reason they are sold out is come August they go on sale to residents and guys like my son and son in law buy them...hope that's clear as mud  :readit:

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 08:01:29 AM »
Again, the mule deer season in AZ is open NOW and this lady has filled her tag already (I blocked out her wheelie bow so as to not offend anybody here😳)…what a buck in really cool country!
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 09:17:21 AM »
Yeah, there ya go...
Kevin
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©