3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just How Fast Can a Deer Drop?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Just How Fast Can a Deer Drop?
« on: December 21, 2022, 05:05:20 PM »
If you watch this video you will see how fast a Mature Whitetail can drop at 13 yards, he had no clue I was in this world either!

Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just How Fast Can a Deer Drop?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 05:45:36 PM »
Wow !!

That was a good deer and a big drop....

Great video and I appreciate your thoughts and attitude.

Thanks for sharing.

Best
Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 05:47:53 PM »
I need to watch this on my 24" desktop screen later.  You can control only so much.  That was a serious reaction to the shot.  I'd say he's been shot at before. I'd say he'll be even more skittish next time.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 06:11:21 PM »
Great video and great hunt.  Whitetail are amazing!  I've had high hits, but in the heat of the moment I'm never able to say whether he dropped or if I shot high.  You're obviously much calmer at the shot than me  to notice it.  The video is absolute confirmation of how far he dropped.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 07:30:55 PM »
32 ft/sec or 9.8 meters/sec; gravity. If he was eating corn he would be on edge.

Sorry you did not get him, nice buck

shoot straight shoot often

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 08:09:15 PM »
32 ft/sec or 9.8 meters/sec; gravity. If he was eating corn he would be on edge.

It’s bow hunting  :dunno:
I’ve hunted public land all my life so I’m not used to hunting deer over corn. The deer are definitely way more high strung as I’m learning. My friend had been throwing a little corn out there all season but only hunted there once. As calm as he was I didn’t expect him to drop that much.
Thanks

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 08:10:23 PM »
They can drop faster then the speed of sound.  :goldtooth:

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 08:57:18 PM »
They drop faster when the head is down or eating. So contrary to belief
, you should shoot when the head is up. I can’t find the YouTube video where it was actually proved

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 12:38:29 AM »
This is interesting stuff. I happened to be part of a group who pioneered the video recording of bowhunting whitetail deer (Bowhunting October Whitetails). To my knowledge, there had never been a whitetail killed on production video at that time yet. This was in the early 1980s. Now days there have been tens of thousands, or more taken "on film."
   Back then we were using pretty much state of the art camcorders that were huge and very similar to those used for TV productions. They were about the size of a small suitcase. They also weighed a ton and were downright dangerous to maneuver around while perched in a treestand.
   I recall one sequence that was very educational. In fact, I believe it was the first time anything like this was ever taped. We taped three separate scenarios. All three guys were shooting over 70 lb. bows. Two were shooting compounds and myself shooting a #72 lb. recurve. All three filmed shots were taken at approximately a distance of 14 to 15 yards. All three deer had no clue anyone was around and were totally relaxed. All three bowhunters made good, broadside shots and we successfully showed all three arrows cleanly/ totally missing the deer.
    It wasn't until we got to the editing room that we realized what our eyes were missing. The professional editing equipment had the capabilities to pause each second of footage into one-hundredths of a second. We set up the timers, so the editing clock started timing the shot audibly at the "plunk" of the bow string. And the clock stopped at the sound of the arrow hitting the ground. We tried this multiple times so there would be no human deviations. The three complete misses showed an AVERAGE of 29/100s of a second. Think about this. A deer is casually feeding; he hears something, and his mind registers, "I heard something; it's on my right and I have to go to the left... and he's completely GONE in 29/100s of one second! It's a wonder we ever get one!
   Putting this footage in slow-motion really taught us something. When a deer "jumps the string", he immediately drops straight downward, thus cocking his legs for the initial leap to freedom. Aiming halfway up the body depth caused the arrow to fly just over his back, or a flesh wound more often than not. Whereas by aiming one-third up from the bottom, if the deer dropped you would much more likely get into the chest cavity. Of course, there are variations, but that little tidbit of information likely helped lower the wounding factor considerably over the last forty years or so. Yes, the newer high-tech compounds that shoot ultra-fast flat arrows may not be as relevant, but we traditionalists need to keep this in mind to minimalize any wounding loss. Try to keep your shots fairly close and hold just a tad low. Merry Christmas to all. BW

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 07:33:25 AM »
Interesting, I once shot at a good buck that , 1 another buck with him had crossed my scent trail and spooked 2 my bow touched a limb making a noise as I was drawing 3 the buck hearing the noise had looked directly at me in a tree stand. He starts walking off broadside, im thinking he’s spooked and going to drop so I shoot low at the bottom of his chest. As best I could tell he didn’t drop at all , I got hair and just a few drops of blood. So , you can’t really depend on a deer to do what you think they will do.
  This does have me wondering though about the walking vs feeding reactions.
Barry , on those videos you did , you mentioned the deer were feeding, did you notice a difference in the reaction of feeding vs walking deer.
 Deer do seem to be more nervous around corn.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 03:10:00 PM »
No, I do not remember if the deer we shot at were walking or feeding. I used to shoot a heavyweight recurve because I liked the flat trajectory of a fast arrow. I always have preferred shooting at a slow walking animal rather than a standing still one. It just seems the walking/ slow gait seems to cover any minimal background noise with their hooves shuffling through the leaves. And I tend not to have as much "pressure" as on a standing shot when you may rush to get the arrow away before he moves on. I don't say that's right for everyone, I'm saying it's worked well for myself over the years.
    Your mention that deer seem to be more nervous around corn may be true since if they are standing in a cut corn field feeding, they normally don't have very much cover or trees to break up their image. They feel exposed. Where the above mentioned footage was filmed was in eastern MT along the Missouri River. The farmer did plant corn, alfalfa and sugar beets. But this footage was in the timber and the deer were basically just slowly walking along browsing. I don't really remember. If I dug the video footage out that would answer the question but I don't have time right now. Sorry. BW

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2022, 09:19:15 AM »
I appreciate your insight Mr Barry Wensel. I have watched those videos many times and likely still have the VHS tape of October Whitetails in my closet  :biglaugh:
If anyone has hunted long enough they’ve had it happen to them. But without video slowed down many thought they just shot over the animal. In hindsight,  I think I did everything right except waiting for the head to be up. Something we all can learn from. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year and best of luck hunting!

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2022, 09:34:56 AM »
I've seen the response on many videos.  Of my own as well.  I try to aim for a heart shot and it usually works.  If they don't move you get a good shot.  They drop it's still double lung.   That is all you can do. 
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Hunter74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2022, 10:24:53 AM »
I can’t remember where but I read some studies on this some years back. There was something about if a deer is walking it doesn’t really have the ability to duck the arrow but I can’t remember exactly what the reason was. On the other hand if a deer has it’s head down for any reason it can duck much faster because they can use there head and neck as a lever to pull there body down. If they’re standing head up they can only drop as fast as gravity allows.

I’ve found mostly since switching to stick bows 10 years ago that deer don’t duck the string very much unless they’re pretty close to me. The bow is so much more quiet and different pitch then a compound and I believe less threatening.

Anyway my point is I no longer shoot at a deer with it’s head down and I try to make my bows as quiet as possible.

Side note…I would never get to see a mature buck like that feed on any bait in the high pressure areas I hunt…I’d probably muff the shot cus I’m in awe of it happening!

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2022, 02:27:42 PM »
 :archer2:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2022, 04:20:23 PM »
Basinboy, thank you for sharing the real world video, sorry you didn't get him.  But like you said and it is true, "You can only do so much".  As long as we are ethical and try are best, the animals still get a vote.  All of us who bowhunt in the Real world know this happens, what is most important is what we do after the shot and you did.  Try and make every effort to ensure the animal is either down or going to be okay.  It happens us all, and you showed what we all feel, that after that the mix of sorry for wounding an animal (which we all feel like sh**) and the frustration of not getting the animal.
I know I am not the only one who done this but years ago a few of us did a test when stump shooting (Yes we was safe).  We took turns down range of the arrow, as each of us took a few shots.  We found that the fletching noise was very different and pronounced on some of the different fletchings in flight.  If we could hear it coming, am sure a deer will and just react (drop).
Took me long time to get in my head it happens, and remember we miss 100% of the shots we don't take.
Keep your string waxed and hang in there.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2022, 06:01:52 PM »
We’re just playing. The deer are doing this for a living. Always fun no matter the outcome.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2023, 09:09:31 PM »

It's 32 ft/sec*sec.    Meters/sec is a velocity.   Meters/sec*sec is acceleration.
Otto

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 10:28:09 PM »
I've only had three drop in their tracks to a broadhead hit.  One took a few steps and sniffed the fletches of the arrow that had just passed through it's heart. I still count that as "in it's tracks".

Sadly, only two collapsed and stayed that way while I approached.  One (a fine eight-point) dropped and lay still on it's side until I had lowered the bow from a treestand and then he bolted off into a swamp.  I never recovered it over two days of trying in mostly waist deep water and hummocks.  A huge regret. But I learned to wait 20 minutes even with the deer in sight before dropping my guard.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2023, 06:30:53 AM »

It's 32 ft/sec*sec.    Meters/sec is a velocity.   Meters/sec*sec is acceleration.

Thank you Otto, I do understand physics, just keeping it simple for the thread. Thru the metric in for laughs, guess some missed it.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©