3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow quiver vs other quiver options  (Read 6917 times)

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow quiver vs other quiver options
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2023, 04:19:36 PM »
I feel nekked without a Bow Quiver.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Mr Rover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2023, 09:49:05 AM »
I think I'd be lost shooting without my limb mount quiver. It gives me that extra mass that I feel compliments the bow. Though I will say I don't know any different I only own 1 bow since the late 90s 

Offline Old3Toe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2023, 12:00:32 AM »
for what it’s worth, here’s where I’m at:  Backquiver for going in fast and light. Beyond that I’ll add a lumbar pack (that’s a large fanny pack with suspenders) if I’m gonna be out all day. Water, game bags, light, lunch, and holding layers is the job of the lumbar pack and it is compatible with the Hill style back quiver— which is the high capacity magazine of archery and bowhunting. 4 blunts and 6 broadheads pretty typical, but that of course depends. If I gotta use a backpack then both get attached to the pack while hiking in/out

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2023, 12:30:42 PM »
 Large Cat Quiver with Black Widow Ace in The Hole [single arrow holder] on my bow.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2023, 07:44:41 PM »
  I was a die hard bow quiver guy for many years longbow or recurve, I hunt the mountain west and always carry a day pack and could never find a quiver that wasn't in my way. A few years ago I tried an Arrowmaster, never looked back, easy arrow removal and minimal movement it's all I use now. Arrows are also protected from rain or snow.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2023, 10:54:30 PM »
I agree, it's mighty hard for any other design quiver to  come close to the hunt friendly/ effiency of a well designed back worn-side draw quiver.....arrows behind the hunter, low of the shoulder , and fast smooth load and remove. All away from the eyes of your target...... :campfire:
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2023, 04:11:19 AM »
Its all about you like and situations may dictate one choice or the other.As you can see some like the bowquiver more and some back side quivers etc and some use both depending on the application and situation.Folks have thier reasons for one or the other and thier are no clear winners or one clear choice.

Some may not want a quiver on the bow period.They like the quiverless feel of the bow and it can balance nicely.Some like the bow with the quiver on it more for the mass weight and it can reduce bow vibration and noise to a degree.

One situation where a bowquiver is nice for me is when I got a treestand on my back and a fanny pack on my backside.Which is how I travel alot when looking for a new setup and or heading to a spot where I plan to setup thats allready known to me.The arrows in the bowquiver in one unit with the bow are better for me in a situation like that.

Offline Wose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2023, 02:22:18 PM »
I'm a longbow guy and really prefer not to use a bow quiver, but sometimes I still use one. I have an Eagle's Flight 3-arrow quiver and it's about as minimalist as you can get and still get three arrows on a bow. It's quite well made and I like it.

I chase blacktails and elk in SW Washington. I'm on the move a lot and I'm frequently in heavy cover.

My other setup besides the bow quiver is a single arrow Final Stalker (https://www.3riversarchery.com/final-stalker-quiver-accessory.html) tied onto the riser. That way I can have an arrow close at hand, but still covered for those times when I'm on a slope or have uncertain footing. Then I carry three additional arrows in a Palmer BowMate. I carry my gear in a Hill People Gear Tarahumara backpack, which is small and narrow enough that I can just put the Bowmate on next to it without having to strap it to the pack.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2023, 08:37:22 PM »
As much as I dislike bow quivers there are times when they are the more convenient option. I have one of the old clamp-on Kwikee quivers without a hood that I've used a few times recently for blunts and judos.

I had a Selway slide-on I used to use on my Howatt hunter. I lent it to my son and never got it back...I guess he likes it.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2023, 09:48:59 PM »
Few years ago I hunted moose , the brush is really thick where you have to hunt.  Most could not walk through it.  Arrows and fletching snagging. It would be absolutely impossible to have a bow quiver.  In fact unless you’re selective about where, or how you’re hunting, arrows and a bow can be problematic.  To spare my arrows I bought the arrow master type quiver. I’d have to go look at the brand.   But it’s basically a 3” pipe or their abouts, with a portion of the side cut out.   So when it’s on your back you can pull the arrow out and let it drop out altogether to bring up to your bow.  You load it from the top.  It’s hard over the length of the arrow quiver, so as long as the shoulder strap holds out, you can push through the tuck-amore brush.    There are a few issues. It’s a rigid pipe on your back.    The cover over the top of mine is super tight to get back on.  It won’t hold many arrows, but then how many shots you got while hunting.    Strap is small.l but strong.   I’d like if it was somehow more traditional looking.    Maybe a patch you could put over the side hole to protect the arrows there.    Otherwise, it will protect the arrows well.  It’s easy to reach to your right hip, grab an arrow, let it drop clear of quiver to bring up to the bow.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 10:03:55 PM by Vroomvroom »

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2023, 05:25:56 AM »
Vroomvroom...Your post is  a perfect example  of what I was referring to earlier about pros-cons of every type/style/design of quiver known to man ....

Some archers/bowhunters can get by with minimal arrow protection...while others demand a little more ....This isn't a one style vs another bashing thread. Simply a reflection of what we like and why....OPTIONS ;^)

Harsh environments , weather conditions , vary as does the risk of damaging your arrows should you fall or drop your quiver....For me, these types of situations are just a few that require a little MORE protection for my valuable arrows...

Options ... :campfire:
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2023, 05:53:00 AM »
Yes. I’d still want a few different  styles for the situations.  If I was stumping, one that could hold lots. Don’t need the protection.  Maybe softer on the back, the noise would not be as important.  I love the idea of a bow quiver cool looking too.   But where I am it’s usually not big open hard woods , so i never got one. I’d like to have few different kinds really.   Depends on where you’re hunting.   At the time I bought that quiver, I had to push through a lot of dense brush so the quiver I needed at that time had to protect the entire set of arrows I had . Rain proof too.  depends On your situation I suppose.  They sell seal skin nearby. I’d like to make of some type out of that for looks alone.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2023, 06:55:56 AM »
Like many things related to trad bowhunting tackle, it's all personal preference.  Try as many types and styles of quivers as possible, both on and off the bow.  I like bow quivers and stalker quivers, the choice depends on the task at hand and the number of arrows required to accomplish said task.  I usually opt for the stalker quiver I made years ago.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2023, 10:02:32 AM »
I just fletched some arrows with the hot pink fletching like those. But not fluflus.  I made some orange spiral wound ones though. Both arrows got wraps the same colour as feathers. No different colour cock feather. 

I blike your quivers. I’d like one like that, then cover in seal skin.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©